Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Bull, @WilliamG has figured out that the difference in voltage between battery bricks is stated as "Min Brick Voltage" and "Max Brick Voltage". The more separation the bricks have, the less available pack energy there is. Yours, for Example shows .01V which is about as good as it gets. Mine on the other hand shows .32V. My "total pack energy" is in the low 70kWh range. That is why my battery estimate is so low (at 300miles).
Hopefully there is a way to convince the pack to level out the bricks because as such, my car is acting like a 75kWh car, and as you can imagine, this is not ok with me.
Hopefully there is tried and true way to level out the bricks, because I didn't settle for a Plaid from Plaid+ to have less range than the 85D I replaced.

By the way, I did run the car down to 9%, let it sit overnight. It Dropped down to 6% by morning. I plugged it in and charged it to 100% and let it sit overnight, just to find that I actually lost even more range. :rolleyes:

@Bull, @WilliamG has figured out that the difference in voltage between battery bricks is stated as "Min Brick Voltage" and "Max Brick Voltage". The more separation the bricks have, the less available pack energy there is. Yours, for Example shows .01V which is about as good as it gets. Mine on the other hand shows .32V. My "total pack energy" is in the low 70kWh range. That is why my battery estimate is so low (at 300miles).
Hopefully there is a way to convince the pack to level out the bricks because as such, my car is acting like a 75kWh car, and as you can imagine, this is not ok with me.
Hopefully there is tried and true way to level out the bricks, because I didn't settle for a Plaid from Plaid+ to have less range than the 85D I replaced.

By the way, I did run the car down to 9%, let it sit overnight. It Dropped down to 6% by morning. I plugged it in and charged it to 100% and let it sit overnight, just to find that I actually lost even more range. :rolleyes:
Thank you for that. I understand now. Hopefully this can fix this for you guys soon.

One question, what is the optimum "Full Pack Energy" for the refresh packs? Clearly you and @WilliamG are really low but is my 94.1 still low? Or am I wrong in thinking that a normal pack should be around 100kWh?

Reactions: impastu
Thank you for that. I understand now. Hopefully this can fix this for you guys soon.

One question, what is the optimum "Full Pack Energy" for the refresh packs? Clearly you and @WilliamG are really low but is my 94.1 still low? Or am I wrong in thinking that a normal pack should be around 100kWh?
Nobody knows for 100% certain. @jebinc is showing 96kWh, but I’ve not seen anything above that to know any better.

I took delivery of my MS LR a couple of weeks ago. I have no mechanical issues, no rattles (so far); my main issue is the panel alignment and gaps. I am also facing issues with the rubber around the doors; it seems to peel off or bending in some areas. I am scheduled to take it tomorrow to Raleigh SC. They say that it should all be done within the same day. Is your experience that these things get fixed on the first try? I really wish that a $90K car did not have all these issues.
Here’s my back seat alignment, - it’s bad just like everything QC-related with my car. Don’t bother having them mess with yours - it’s excellent and you’ll just risk them damaging other stuff. (Sorry for the crap photo - was in a rush).

Attachments

• 6E7A0EF7-FC1E-40FA-8012-15F00259E191.jpeg
    6E7A0EF7-FC1E-40FA-8012-15F00259E191.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu and mlopes
I added this to the 2021 S LR thread not realizing that thread was for long range models only. Putting it in this thread to help people that are still waiting and/or considering pulling the trigger.
----------------

My info for another data point. When I ordered mine, folks online had already figured out there were two things slowing orders down, white interior and 19" wheels. I avoided those hoping for a faster delivery. By faster I assumed Dec/Jan vs Mar/Apr. Little did I know I'd have a VIN 3 weeks after placing my order.
  • Placed order 08/04
  • EDD jumped all over the place for ~2 weeks, then stopped moving
  • After EDD didn't move for 3 days in a row I got a VIN on 08/23
  • EDD was set at 09/04-09/10
  • On 09/02 called Tesla to track the car to get a better idea of delivery. Was told the car would be in town on 09/07
  • Set delivery appointment for 09/09. I was told they want at least 48 hours with the car to go over it before delivery

Order details:
  • White Plaid
  • Black interior with carbon fiber
  • 21" wheels
  • FSD

My experience aligns with others. When my EDD stopped jumping around, I had a VIN a few days later.

Here’s my back seat alignment, - it’s bad just like everything QC-related with my car. Don’t bother having them mess with yours - it’s excellent and you’ll just risk them damaging other stuff. (Sorry for the crap photo - was in a rush).

This issue is in every new Model s. Bad design.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
I was in a refresh this weekend and the issue is even on the front dash / front doors. Not nearly as bad, but it is also there. Similar issue - if they fix the inside, the outside trim will be off. Would prefer the outside to look cohesive.
Agreed 100%. Can deal with the inside. The outside would be so messed up if they align the inside. No idea how this design as it is was approved. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

To those of you who are kvetching about trim pieces that are 1/4" out of alignment I have a suggestion: Go drive your new Model S/Plaid. Hard. Take your favorite freeway exit faster than you were ever able to do in your previous cars. Wow, there wasn't even any tire squeal. Hopefully that will take your mind off details that no one else will ever notice, and put your focus back on an amazing piece of automotive technology.

To those of you who are kvetching about trim pieces that are 1/4" out of alignment I have a suggestion: Go drive your new Model S/Plaid. Hard. Take your favorite freeway exit faster than you were ever able to do in your previous cars. Wow, there wasn't even any tire squeal. Hopefully that will take your mind off details that no one else will ever notice, and put your focus back on an amazing piece of automotive technology.
Good idea. Will text it to my service center who keeps my car for 23 days already trying to fix assembly issues.
Hope 2015 MS 85 which they gave me as a loaner will give me all those feelings you have posted 😂😂😂

Truth!

Do you have any update on your car’s max mileage yet? We’re still desperate to know what your Tesla SC did to fix your car!

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Hi all, this is my first Tesla and really first Luxury Car ever. Pretty excited I was afforded an opportunity to get one being in my "younger" phase. I have MS LR Blue and I noticed some weird stuff like I think I see the "worm" in my yoke, and it looks like the left and right mirrors are chipped along the black bottom inner casing (looks like salt is on it or something). One of my friends went to the delivery with me and he used to work for Tesla assembling the cars - he said this : "If you really want to fix the minor insignificant cosmetic issues, go ahead - however be wary - its known with Tesla that they spend a long time trying to fix one thing and end up breaking several others".

Not sure if thats a weary piece of advice, but im considering it :D.

Hi all, this is my first Tesla and really first Luxury Car ever. Pretty excited I was afforded an opportunity to get one being in my "younger" phase. I have MS LR Blue and I noticed some weird stuff like I think I see the "worm" in my yoke, and it looks like the left and right mirrors are chipped along the black bottom inner casing (looks like salt is on it or something). One of my friends went to the delivery with me and he used to work for Tesla assembling the cars - he said this : "If you really want to fix the minor insignificant cosmetic issues, go ahead - however be wary - its known with Tesla that they spend a long time trying to fix one thing and end up breaking several others".

My mirrors looked the same. I ended up power washing the car and it actually must be some goop in there rather than chips because it came right off.

One of my friends went to the delivery with me and he used to work for Tesla assembling the cars - he said this : "If you really want to fix the minor insignificant cosmetic issues, go ahead - however be wary - its known with Tesla that they spend a long time trying to fix one thing and end up breaking several others".

This isn’t a Tesla-specific issue, it is the case with pretty much any manufacturer. The service employees just aren’t going to be as careful with your car as you would be yourself. So when they fix something they often end up scratching or scuffing other parts.

Just an update on my alignment issues that I had to take in 4 times. As this being my first Tesla, I had no idea that service centers may not be "alike". On the 4th time I took it to a different service center and they appear to have the issue fixed on the first try. The previous service center literally made things worse and I was on the verge of Lemon Law. I am reserving full judgment because the problem previously got worse over time, but I have driven about 300 miles and so far so good. I still notice that the car pulls to the left or right on certain roads, but I believe that is probably normal. It does seem with the S that at times it takes a little more "force" to keep the yoke pointing straight ahead. If anybody else can take note on that, it would be helpful. Let me know your thoughts. (Even when steering is in "comfort" mode.)

• Love
Reactions: impastu and cwanja