Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, then, don't push or squeeze them!
That was my point here:

Reactions: impastu
Question: has anyone received a car yet, where the worm is not present? If so, what are the three digits after the factory ident? (The part in parenthesis for MF(...)...).

Mine is 443. I fully expect to see the worm, but I'm curious if that's changed.
My MF440 picked up yesterday has the worm. IMO it's not very prominent as pics make it seem to be. In most lighting it's not that conspicuous. There are worse things about the fit and finish than the worm, unfortunately.

Just wanted to share my quality control issues I’ve had with my 2021 refreshed Model S and the horrible service I’ve received at my North Houston SC. I took the car in for service for 4 main issues:
1. Misaligned A pillar on the passenger side where it meets the front speaker grill.
2. Misaligned Drivers Side Rear Door.
3. Misaligned Trunk
4. Distortion / Rippling effect in the windshield
I had about 4 more issues but I won’t bother you with them for now but the 4 main Issues above were shown to and acknowledged by the service advisor.
Anyway, when I picked up my car the service advisor assured me that everything had been fixed. When I ask him if someone could go over these issues and show me what they did to fix it he said they emailed me an invoice and all the details were in there. The service advisor gave me my key card back and told me where I could find my car outside in the parking lot. It was raining off and on as we were expecting strong tropical storm within 12 hours so I went over the car as quickly as I could in between the raindrops. When I opened the driver’s door I immediately saw that the A pillar was still misaligned (the invoice said it was realigned). The drivers side rear door was realigned correctly however when I open that door there was grease on my backseat and on the door panel. I ran back into the service area to tell them about these two issues and they took the car back into the service department. About 20 minutes later they said that they would have to make a mobile service appointment to replace the A pillar because the SC was shutting down due to the impending storm. They did clean the grease from my backseat but not the back door panel. Once I got home I was able to examine the car more thoroughly in the comfort of my garage out of the rain. It was then that I noticed that the trunk was still misaligned (see pictures). The following day the SC was still closed so I sent a text about the still misaligned trunk.
I am posting screenshots of the text messages between me and the service center regarding the misaligned trunk. The notes on my invoice said the technician could not see any distortion in my windshield even though the service advisor acknowledged what I was seeing. I will try to post those pictures when the sun comes back out! I really like the car and I don’t want to discourage anyone from buying one but I just thought maybe it would be helpful if I share this with our Tesla community. I really hope that some bigwig from Tesla will see this post and report these issues to the assembly line as well as give this North Houston SC a major ripping! I find this level of “service” unacceptable.

A68978AD-48FE-4CF3-B8B4-28FC978BF0E5.png

3FBE0BF8-18E8-4D9A-9A10-75943A1EB325.jpeg

Text messages with the SC regarding the misaligned trunk panel they said was fixed on my invoice.

Attachments

• D573EE32-731B-4917-A6D2-FA59B803C0DA.jpeg
    D573EE32-731B-4917-A6D2-FA59B803C0DA.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Just wanted to share my quality control issues I’ve had with my 2021 refreshed Model S and the horrible service I’ve received at my North Houston SC. I took the car in for service for 4 main issues:
1. Misaligned A pillar on the passenger side where it meets the front speaker grill.
3. Misaligned Trunk
I had about 4 more issues but I won’t bother you with them for now but the 4 main Issues above were shown to and acknowledged by the service advisor.
Anyway, when I picked up my car the service advisor assured me that everything had been fixed. When I ask him if someone could go over these issues and show me what they did to fix it he said they emailed me an invoice and all the details were in there. The service advisor gave me my key card back and told me where I could find my car outside in the parking lot. It was raining off and on as we were expecting strong tropical storm within 12 hours so I went over the car as quickly as I could in between the raindrops. When I opened the driver’s door I immediately saw that the A pillar was still misaligned (the invoice said it was realigned). The drivers side rear door was realigned correctly however when I open that door there was grease on my backseat and on the door panel. I ran back into the service area to tell them about these two issues and they took the car back into the service department. About 20 minutes later they said that they would have to make a mobile service appointment to replace the A pillar because the SC was shutting down due to the impending storm. They did clean the grease from my backseat but not the back door panel. Once I got home I was able to examine the car more thoroughly in the comfort of my garage out of the rain. It was then that I noticed that the trunk was still misaligned (see pictures). The following day the SC was still closed so I sent a text about the still misaligned trunk.
I am posting screenshots of the text messages between me and the service center regarding the misaligned trunk. The notes on my invoice said the technician could not see any distortion in my windshield even though the service advisor acknowledged what I was seeing. I will try to post those pictures when the sun comes back out! I really like the car and I don’t want to discourage anyone from buying one but I just thought maybe it would be helpful if I share this with our Tesla community. I really hope that some bigwig from Tesla will see this post and report these issues to the assembly line as well as give this North Houston SC a major ripping! I find this level of “service” unacceptable.

View attachment 709983

View attachment 709982

Text messages with the SC regarding the misaligned trunk panel they said was fixed on my invoice.
Ugh. Yep. It’s a Tesla alright. Such a shame they can’t get things right on cars that cost this much. For your windshield issue, is it localized distortion? I had the same issue in two spots right in my driver’s line of sight. Drove me insane, but Tesla service had no qualms with replacing it as they saw it clearly, too.

3. Misaligned Trunk

View attachment 709983

View attachment 709982

Sorry to hear about your issues. Those gaps are pretty prominent and I would argue the same. I still can’t understand how these gaps happen with everything is designed and made by machines to fit perfectly. Where in the process do these gaps emerge?

Reactions: impastu
Ugh. Yep. It’s a Tesla alright. Such a shame they can’t get things right on cars that cost this much. For your windshield issue, is it localized distortion? I had the same issue in two spots right in my driver’s line of sight. Drove me insane, but Tesla service had no qualms with replacing it as they saw it clearly, too.
I'd also like to know if the distortion is localized.
For me it's all over the windshield in ripple/wavy patterns

Here's the video again showing the ripples I'm experiencing all over (please excuse the music):

3. Misaligned Trunk

View attachment 709983

View attachment 709982

I had similar issues earlier in the thread where they "fixed" the rear panel gap but really did not. Following advice here I pushed to have it referred out to a Tesla authorized body shop and now I am pending that appointment. The body shop basically said it wont be perfect but they can do better than the SCs usually.

Reactions: MMcFly and impastu
Amateur hour 😬 those are sharp edges btw and ripples throughout that section. I'm glad I won't have the car for a few days bc I don't want to harp on these things, but it really makes me wonder about overall quality.

Does everyone have that issue where the interior door trims in the rear don't line up? Did service take care of it for you?

Attachments

• 20210915_123902.jpg
    20210915_123902.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210915_123449.jpg
    20210915_123449.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210915_123438.jpg
    20210915_123438.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 70
Amateur hour 😬 those are sharp edges btw and ripples throughout that section. I'm glad I won't have the car for a few days bc I don't want to harp on these things, but it really makes me wonder about overall quality.

Does everyone have that issue where the interior door trims in the rear don't line up? Did service take care of it for you?
The last two are common - seen them since they started deliveries in June. How is your exterior? If the exterior is aligned, you will misalign the exterior by alining the interior. Although that second photo (123449) is insane. It is just awful design.