Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, just a latch release. I remember seeing this in the manual actually. Same as Model X 3rd row.
@Muzzman1 Pretty lame that the pedestrian high volume cars are automated/motorized and the $150K is manual.... Aside from the acceleration, there are numerous things better in my MYP than the Plaid (e.g., audio system, lay flat rear seats, panel gaps, UI, came with flaps and rear door PPF, and the list goes on...) @WilliamG

Last edited:
This is how our X works. I was surprised they’re not motorized. But SC clarified it’s only the lock release that is motorized.
@impastu That's horseshit the SC fed to you, bro! When I go to push the rear MYP seats back up, the motors kick in long before I get even close to the latch! May be true for the $150K+ low end/low quality Plaid, but not the MY! :mad:

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and impastu
@impastu That's horseshit the SC fed to you, bro! When I go to push the rear MYP seats back up, the motors kick in long before I get even close to the latch! May be true for the $150K+ low end/low quality Plaid, but not the MY! :mad:
I’m commenting on the X, not the Y. Obviously the Y should have motorized rear seat retraction and not the X…makes a lot of sense…right? We spent a lot extra for the Falcon doors I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I got my Plaid yesterday and I am loving it feel very solid. I didn't find any issue on the interior but I found some on exterior but very minor. The hatch gaps are not even, I found small damage on one of my handles and one of headlights seems to stick out a little compared to the other one in reference to the other. The other panel gaps and paint look really good to me; we spend about 1.5 hours looking at the car with 3 page check list.

IMG_20210918_193515830_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210918_162559081_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210918_162551448_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210918_162434272_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210918_162438037_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210918_162246091_HDR.jpg

I showed my father in-law the slight hatch misalignment and he said let me show you something. We walk to his 2021 F-350 Lariat a 80-90k truck and his bed was flush the cabin on one side an off by more than 1" on the other lol.

IMG_20210918_190655686.jpg

IMG_20210918_190714437.jpg

I am loving the car and hopefully I don't have any issues in the future.

I’m struggling to find out where a rattle is coming from. It sounds like it’s coming from the right rear seat belt housing. It only happens on roads that aren’t smooth at around 30 mph. You can’t really hear it on smooth roads. I’ve tried several things that seem to make it a little better. First I fastened the right rear seat and then stuck a small piece of cloth inside the opening of the seat belt housing. It could also be coming from one of the rear head rests. Anyone have this problem or any ideas as to what to look for. It’s kind of a minor issue since everything else on the car is great. But it’s one of those things that once you notice it it seems to get louder and more noticeable. May just have to take it in to my SC and see if they can figure it out.

Reactions: impastu
I’m struggling to find out where a rattle is coming from. It sounds like it’s coming from the right rear seat belt housing. It only happens on roads that aren’t smooth at around 30 mph. You can’t really hear it on smooth roads. I’ve tried several things that seem to make it a little better. First I fastened the right rear seat and then stuck a small piece of cloth inside the opening of the seat belt housing. It could also be coming from one of the rear head rests. Anyone have this problem or any ideas as to what to look for. It’s kind of a minor issue since everything else on the car is great. But it’s one of those things that once you notice it it seems to get louder and more noticeable. May just have to take it in to my SC and see if they can figure it out.
Have you validated that the problem is with the seatbelt mechanism, instead of the seat latch itself? Reason I mention this is because some folks have noticed rattles from the seat latch itself -- and temporarily addressed it by wrapping the seat "hook" in tape, or similar, just to isolate the problem.

Agree with reporting the problem via the app, or etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Have you validated that the problem is with the seatbelt mechanism, instead of the seat latch itself? Reason I mention this is because some folks have noticed rattles from the seat latch itself -- and temporarily addressed it by wrapping the seat "hook" in tape, or similar, just to isolate the problem.

Agree with reporting the problem via the app, or etc.

I think your referring to the latch that you attach the seat belt into on the seat itself. If that’s correct I don’t think it’s that but I will check it out. If you stick your finger into the housing where the belt retracts you can feel a loose piece of plastic that holds the belt in place. I think it could be that but it’s the same on the other back seat and it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from behind me. Funny though how sounds are so elusive to track.

Just took delivery and noted 2 main issues:
1) speaker crackles at high volume with certain songs

2) gaps between either side of frunk and trunk are not even

3) major paint issue: right rear quarter panel has a large are of paint that doesn't match the rest of the car (turn off blue light filter on your device to see)

Attachments

• 20210919_154355.jpg
    20210919_154355.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 86
Try driving the same conditions with that seat down. If no rattle then almost certainly the seat latch.

Just took delivery and noted 2 main issues:
1) speaker crackles at high volume with certain songs

2) gaps between either side of frunk and trunk are not even

3) major paint issue: right rear quarter panel has a large are of paint that doesn't match the rest of the car (turn off blue light filter on your device to see)
Yep, #3 is definitely a sign of body work somewhere before delivery. 😞

I received the no drive detected sentry mode will use more battery. I purchased a 1. TB SSD drive. Formatted it using the Tesla format.
is it exfat or fat32. I find both online. I read manual but this still occurs. 3 sentry cam alerts. No videos. Honk to save a clip no video. Dashcam no videos.
anyone have similar problems?

My little over 3 week old Plaid died today. Drove it back from my mom's surgery, parked it, 30 minutes later went to drive it and wouldn't start. Wouldn't go into gear... Lets see what the problem is when they diagnose it this week. Tow guy unfamiliar with how to jump the car. Weirdest part about the whole thing is how quickly the 12V drained to nothing. in a matter of a few minutes. went from over 50% to zero( fyi: you get this emergency screen if you hold the brake for 30 seconds which will display the 12v status).

Attachments

• IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5671.jpeg
    IMG_5671.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5665.jpeg
    IMG_5665.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    823.4 KB · Views: 71
Thanks I’ll try that

GOOD CALL!! I put both the back seats down and Sur enough there was no rattle. Then I put the left rear seat and center piece back up and again there was no rattle. Then I put the right rear seat back up and Bam the rattle was back. So it’s definitely the right rear seat safety belt issue. But it sounds to me like it’s coming from the harness retraction housing so I put a piece of cloth in the opening and stuffed it as far back as I could and tried it again and 90% of the rattle was gone. So I think it’s not the seat buckle but rather something in the housing of the return harness. But now I can at least narrow in what the problem is when I bring it to the service center. Thanks a lot for your help.

Try driving the same conditions with that seat down. If no rattle then almost certainly the seat latch.
I have the same issue and it is driving me crazy, same right side rear seat noise. I did go away when seat down. I found that putting a small towel between the seat back and latch seemed to do the trick. The odd thing is that it rattles even when someone is in the seat. I have yet to figure out the source of the issue.

Is this distortion at the bottom of the rear windshield window normal? Does anyone else have this? It is all along the bottom part of the window.

View attachment 711637
Unfortunately it's pretty common. Mine is a bit like clown glass along the bottom. Looking at the road lines as I am driving is really distracting. In my case I have reported it so it is logged as an issue but I'm not asking for a replacement at this time. I'm starting to get used to it and I don't want another problem to arise while fixing this one. I suggest reporting it and then hold off on replacing it while trying to see if it is still a problem after driving with it for a while.

Is this distortion at the bottom of the rear windshield window normal? Does anyone else have this? It is all along the bottom part of the window.

View attachment 711637
Yes. It’s normal. All part of Tesla’s stunning double-pane glass that is free of distortion. 🤦🏻‍♂️

GOOD CALL!! I put both the back seats down and Sur enough there was no rattle. Then I put the left rear seat and center piece back up and again there was no rattle. Then I put the right rear seat back up and Bam the rattle was back. So it’s definitely the right rear seat safety belt issue. But it sounds to me like it’s coming from the harness retraction housing so I put a piece of cloth in the opening and stuffed it as far back as I could and tried it again and 90% of the rattle was gone. So I think it’s not the seat buckle but rather something in the housing of the return harness. But now I can at least narrow in what the problem is when I bring it to the service center. Thanks a lot for your help.

I have that same rattle. If you figure out the source of it there’s virtual beer in it for you! Saying that, it’s rather the least of my worries, though still a tad annoying.