Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said they are going to replace my door seal to try and fix it. We'll see if that helps.
How hard is the door to close? On my 2017 MS it closed very easy (normal door swing pressure) on my 2022 it takes a little more of a push (momentum) to get it to latch. When I use my normal amount of force it seems to not latch all the way. Is that what you are describing or is it worse?

How hard is the door to close? On my 2017 MS it closed very easy (normal door swing pressure) on my 2022 it takes a little more of a push (momentum) to get it to latch. When I use my normal amount of force it seems to not latch all the way. Is that what you are describing or is it worse?

It's noticeably harder than the other three doors. With a normal amount of force, it won't close. If you roll down the window, it closes normally. It seems to be related to the position of the window / window seal. Probably some jig that is used to assemble the doors and windows in the factory is calibrated wrong, and it is producing every single passenger door incorrectly. No one has caught it or cared to fix it...

What you describe is what I had on my 2019 MSP and now my 2022 Plaid. On my MSP I was in the service center to have them address a bulge in the dash pad, and I pointed it out to the tech, and he adjusted the striker in the parking lot and addressed it. My Plaid has the same symptom - I just have to swing it a little harder than you'd expect to get it to latch. Passengers frequently find themselves casually closing it like any other car and it doesn't latch all the way. The rear passenger door is similar. The driver's side doors close with a normal amount of force.

What you describe is what I had on my 2019 MSP and now my 2022 Plaid. On my MSP I was in the service center to have them address a bulge in the dash pad, and I pointed it out to the tech, and he adjusted the striker in the parking lot and addressed it. My Plaid has the same symptom - I just have to swing it a little harder than you'd expect to get it to latch. Passengers frequently find themselves casually closing it like any other car and it doesn't latch all the way. The rear passenger door is similar. The driver's side doors close with a normal amount of force.

Mine doesn't seem to be caused by the striker. They tried adjusting that and it didn't help. It's the window to window seal contact is too tight. Rolling the window down makes it close normally.

Reactions: serendipitous
Yep that is exactly the issue. Especially for passengers as they are all using less force. When I have the mobile tech out on Tuesday to address my Frunk seal, I will ask him. The door closure/latch concern is not really a big issue, but if it can be adjusted that would be great if not I can definitely live with it.

I loathe rattles. The most rattlesome car I ever owned was a Porsche 911. Had to take it into service 3 or 4 times to get it semi-reasonable. Most people on the forums (Rennlist) were not sympathetic, and generally answered with "turn up the music" or "drive faster". Sigh.

As a rule, I prefer to deal with rattles myself, up to a point -- taking things apart has its own risks, and there are cases in the past where the cure has been worse than the disease.

That said, if the rattle is frequent, genuinely irksome, and not easy to debug, I would not hesitate to make a service call.
I also loathe rattles. . .this one is pretty loud. Need to have music in the 6-7 range to not hear it.
I haven't had a chance to sit in the back yet while my wife drives to pinpoint wear it is coming from, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: planetary
Mine doesn't seem to be caused by the striker. They tried adjusting that and it didn't help. It's the window to window seal contact is too tight. Rolling the window down makes it close normally.
Well I'll be damned. I just went out to my garage and did a very scientific test of casually swinging the door closed 10 times - it always closed with the window down and always got only the first half-latch with the window up. So there is something from the window seal causing the resistance. I never did this test with my 2019, so not sure whether it was the same.

Edit: also, the door seems perfectly aligned with the body lines - I would think if it was the striker, the door would be "closed too far" and would look like it was farther "in" than the front of the rear door, so resistance seems more likely than just a striker adjustment.

I also loathe rattles. . .this one is pretty loud. Need to have music in the 6-7 range to not hear it.
I haven't had a chance to sit in the back yet while my wife drives to pinpoint wear it is coming from, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Strangely, I don't seem to have any rattles. Could be the baby seat I have on the rear seats all the time.

I have a strange occasional single pop when going over some bumps at slow speeds. But, that one sounds more like it's coming from the speakers, like a loose amplifier wire. Of course, I'll never get the service center to repeat it, so I don't know how it will ever get fixed...

I have same issue with front passenger door not easily closing. Had in for service and nothing much changed. The reason I want it fixed is simple, Came out to car in garage a few weeks ago and found door was "left open" which kept car "on." Didn't notice it for a day. I'll try booking another appointment.

Reactions: LiveSai
All 4 of my people-doors are harder to close than on most other cars I've owned, but it's not insanely hard. The front passenger door is the hardest of the 4, but not egregiously so. My wife and kids each got the "pull hard" and "use the thumb button to open" instructions, and now it's a non-issue.

There are reports of Tesla door seals becoming more forgiving over time. I guess we can look forward to easier doors when the roads are full of Model Ses with refreshed taillights.

• Funny
Reactions: serendipitous
I have same issue with front passenger door not easily closing. Had in for service and nothing much changed. The reason I want it fixed is simple, Came out to car in garage a few weeks ago and found door was "left open" which kept car "on." Didn't notice it for a day. I'll try booking another appointment.
Makes me wonder if the distance the window is supposed to drop when the door is opened is adjustable and just needs to be slightly lower.. I can imagine as the doors come down the assembly line there are different people, different shifts and possible differing adjustments..

Do you know what they did to make it better?
It's a great mystery, and they claimed it is solved, but still harder to close than others.
Here's what my invoice shows:

Concern: Customer states front right door is not closing properly and needs more force to close than other doors

Technician verified customer concern and performed an adjustment to the front right door to improve ease of door operation and confirmed the customer's concern is no longer present

It's noticeably harder than the other three doors. With a normal amount of force, it won't close. If you roll down the window, it closes normally. It seems to be related to the position of the window / window seal. Probably some jig that is used to assemble the doors and windows in the factory is calibrated wrong, and it is producing every single passenger door incorrectly. No one has caught it or cared to fix it...
I suspect having a window open (any window) helps because there's less air pressure to contend with than closing with all windows closed, so it's easier to close the front passenger door when a window is open.

However even with a window open, closing my front passenger door doesn't sound right. Almost like a rattle rather than clean "thump". There's something different for sure about that door versus the 3 others.

I suspect having a window open (any window) helps because there's less air pressure to contend with than closing with all windows closed, so it's easier to close the front passenger door when a window is open.

However even with a window open, closing my front passenger door doesn't sound right. Almost like a rattle rather than clean "thump". There's something different for sure about that door versus the 3 others.
ah, ok. that sounds like the striker. Mine doesn't have a metallic sound. It's amazing Tesla didn't catch this manufacturing error. Every single car being built has a problem with the front passenger door. We're over 20k cars in, no fix.