Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two locking clips that hold it in. On either side of the wheel column close to the yoke you should see a small hole at about 8 o’clock and 4 o’clock. Check and see if you can see the locking clips and that they move when pushed. I suspect they did not push the new airbag assembly in hard enough to lock it in place at those two positions.

Are you saying I just need to push on it to install it? I'm nervous to mess with this with this too much...

Reactions: impastu
Yes, you should be able to put it in place and push to lock it in.

Thank you. I slammed it and it locked into place. I'm still livid... why couldn't Tesla do this?!

Attachments

• IMG_3305.jpeg
    IMG_3305.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Incompetence and carelessness. It takes some force so perhaps the Tech misjudged but did not pull on it to ensure it was secured. Just another example of people not doing their jobs with care anymore.

Two years ago we had a freshly overhauled aircraft engine lose a cylinder as we rotated. We had just enough runway to land and brake hard. On an attempt to run the engine on the ground we lost another so a go around would have resulted in an off field landing. Shop put the wrong pistons back in. Incredible.

• Informative
Thank you for the feedback. From my pictures can anyone tell me what the heck they did wrong? I’m still fuming/heart still racing… 😡😡😡
There are two heavy metal anchor pins sticking out of the back of the bag module, as seen in your pictures, that were not installed correctly. They keep the deployment mechanism in place so that only the bag explodes. Without anchorage, this airbag module becomes a shrapnel bomb!
In my honest and very firm opinion, be safe, DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR. THE MODULE COULD DEPLOY! It should be towed (rollback).
With a normal auto manufacturer there are District Service Managers that oversee a territory of dealership service centers. They are there to handle customer service issues that are beyond the local service center management.. I do not know if Tesla uses a Dist Serv. Man. for major issues like yours. I would have them drop off a loaner when they come to get your car.. You need to continue with life while this gets settled,.. Contact the general manager of the service center, write his name down, then ask him for a contact number of their DS Manager and that you want a loaner delivered and your car picked up because it is un-drivable... Get an attorney. Initial consultations are usually free...

• Informative
Just getting to posts here, but I am also experiencing this issue in my MS LR. I originally thought it was a leak from the door, but I'm just wondering if it's cold air sitting near the controls/door well area. It's been my largest gripe with the MS, never felt that in my M3.
I just picked up my MSLR today and am also feeling this cold draft on my legs. Mine seems to be coming from the bottom center of the door so I've scheduled service to have it looked at. My door trim is also slightly higher (misaligned) than the rear door so I'm wondering if this is the issue.

• Helpful
Donsla, why do you think the bag would deploy ? It was not secured when they replaced it and it is properly locked back in place. Not trying to be controversial but wondering what your basis for concern is ?

I think he means IF it had deployed. And that’s a fair point. If I’d have gotten into an accident on the way home today before the whole module came out at me I’d have had the whole module in my face at high speed. Who even knows what would have happened in that situation? I might have been killed. Ugh. I shudder to think…

I'm SO pissed off right now. This goes beyond my normal frustration with this car. Those who've followed my saga with the broken high-voltage battery, Tesla blowing my front motor in service, Tesla fixing the front motor with the wrong inverter, Tesla replacing the inverter a second time etc etc.

Well, this is WORSE. I drove my car back from Tesla Service on January 14th, and refused to drive it while I wait on buyback info etc. This is the FIRST time I drove the car since driving it home from Service on January 14th. Unfortunately, today I had to drive it, and I nearly freaking hit another car because of them.

Yep, you read that right - I nearly hit another vehicle at highway speed this afternoon due to a shoddy job by whomever worked on the airbag recall while my car was in service. On the way home, I had to accelerate out of the way of merging drivers, and as I did so my whole uninflated airbag module/electronics came flying out toward me, causing me to become extremely startled, swerve in my lane and nearly hit a merging vehicle. I can’t begin to explain how terrifying it was to have a heavy part of your steering yoke come flying at you. This is not a lightweight piece of plastic, from what I could tell as I was holding it.

After I gently maneuvered the airbag system back into the yoke cavity on the highway, I had to hold it there while driving home because it does not snap into place, something which was extremely nerve-wracking (as I understand it working on airbag systems requires the battery to be disconnected). It’s now parked at home with the airbag mechanism half-hanging out.

Unfreakingbelievable. My heart is still racing, and I'm absolutely livid. Beyond livid.
Looking on the bright side: Buyback secured?

Teslas weakest point is weak staff, especially in service. Elon would love to replace them all with robots. Maybe in his lifetime he will.

Donsla, why do you think the bag would deploy ? It was not secured when they replaced it and it is properly locked back in place. Not trying to be controversial but wondering what your basis for concern is ?
No problem. It has always been the common practice of disconnecting power to airbags when disconnecting or replacing airbag connectors because of the potential of arcing. Because there have been different systems of activation over the years, it is always best to be on the safe side.. Yes, I am old fashioned, retired mechanic that has all my fingers, a titanium shoulder, but I am still alive!

Looking on the bright side: Buyback secured?

Teslas weakest point is weak staff, especially in service. Elon would love to replace them all with robots. Maybe in his lifetime he will.
Maybe. I keep thinking over and over if I’d have hit someone either before I discovered the airbag wasn’t fully secure…, or while swerving all over the damn road when it popped out of the yoke while accelerating… - well, at least I’d be famous on the Tesla forums, though I wouldn’t be around to see all the really nice stuff you’d have said about dearly departed William… 😂😡😭

Last edited:
Ridiculous what you are dealing with. I wouldn’t be as patient and I also wouldn’t have messed with the airbag myself and would have called them to fix it. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable working on something so critical in a car.
I agree with you. But thankfully with a good smack (and a good deal of trepidation) it’s re-inserted. Anyone who has had their airbag replaced should check to make sure it’s secure.

There are two locking clips that hold it in. On either side of the wheel column close to the yoke you should see a small hole at about 8 o’clock and 4 o’clock. Check and see if you can see the locking clips and that they move when pushed. I suspect they did not push the new airbag assembly in hard enough to lock it in place at those two positions.
Maybe they were worried about setting off the ... oh wait... nvm.

• Funny
People so eaily throw around "lawyer up", etc.. @WilliamG should be aware that if you take the combative legal route, you will likely become persona non grata to Tesla and they will decline to sell you another vehicle.
That is why I suggested something that I DO. One phone call to an attorney to schedule a free consultation on your options for your issue. We all know we sign an agreement with Tesla but do we all truly understand how it applies to each and every situation? Tesla does not need to know you had seen an attorney! Yes, the horrible service center that was used should have the management at Tesla alarmed. So If this were me I would be letting everyone in management know what is going on, then ask them for their boss's contact information, which puts them on notice that the *sugar* is about to hit their fan directly. It's called communication of the customer's problem is about to become their problem!

I’d go as far to say your situation is ludicrous!
No, at this point, he’s gone to Plaid.
@WilliamG time to go test drive a Taycan and provide us with your unvarnished opinion.
I believe he already did and even created a thread on that experience. tl;dr Handles great, but too cramped and slow (compared to the Plaid).

Reactions: WilliamG