Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very much enjoying the degree of FSD that I currently have.

Sounds good. I'm enjoying the AP3 that I have, a little better than the AP1 I had, but the phantom braking is pretty unsettling.

Tesla should offer a trade in credit, (Like they are now for FUSC) equal to the FSD cost for all the Beta cars, and call the new AP4 HW4 Limited Self Driving, Or Tim O'Lear Mode, because you'd have to be on drugs to believe otherwise...

I can confirm ANC doesn’t do anything on a 2022 plaid. FSD= trash. (I also knew this before buying)
i am also lucky enough to be getting booted from autopilot driving for the rest of the trip now every 30 miles highway. No nag no warning just booted.
tesla’s fix is removal of FSD right now.
I’d love someone to actually ask Elon about ANC/ARNR and whether it will actually ever work. Ironic that it’s not even listed as beta like just about everything else. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Well... I think Waymo and others are far ahead of Tesla here because they were willing to include all the sensors. Elon's stubbornness on going all vision has cost Tesla the lead. Hopefully the board kicks out Elon and installs an adult as CEO, so we can get LIDAR, radar, and ultrasound...
I personally have always (since childhood) held a very reductionist/objective viewpoint on things so Musk’s First Principles approach is perfectly sensible to me.

I just think the most important thing is the question(s) being asked. One question I would ask myself (if I were engineering the vision-based FSD) would be “what advantages do human cameras-on-slow-gimbals have over the cameras on the car?”

Almost immediately I think of camera repositioning. If I’m trying to turn left and there’s a truck in the opposing left turn lane blocking my central view, I align my human cameras to the edge of the a-pillar to get as antegrade a view as possible past the obstruction (truck in this example). I don’t have a fixed vantage point.
Possible solution would be forward facing cameras in the A-pillars, not just in the center of the windshield.

Another advantage of the human camera: it is positioned several feet behind the windshield. This gives at least two significant advantages: 1) obscurations (water droplets, bugs, dirt) on the windshield are individually less significant and 2) a summary of the events occurring to the windshield (e.g. RAIN) is more immediately apparent than to a camera right behind a small sample section of the windshield. Vision-based sensing of when the wipers are needed and how frequently, would be vastly easier if a camera were positioned inside the car facing forward, eg over the drivers head or at least the front edge of the headliner.

Here’s hoping Tesla continues to apply basic logic to their challenges, because these problems are easy to solve once you begin asking the right questions.

I personally have always (since childhood) held a very reductionist/objective viewpoint on things so Musk’s First Principles approach is perfectly sensible to me.

I just think the most important thing is the question(s) being asked. One question I would ask myself (if I were engineering the vision-based FSD) would be “what advantages do human cameras-on-slow-gimbals have over the cameras on the car?”

Almost immediately I think of camera repositioning. If I’m trying to turn left and there’s a truck in the opposing left turn lane blocking my central view, I align my human cameras to the edge of the a-pillar to get as antegrade a view as possible past the obstruction (truck in this example). I don’t have a fixed vantage point.
Possible solution would be forward facing cameras in the A-pillars, not just in the center of the windshield.

Another advantage of the human camera: it is positioned several feet behind the windshield. This gives at least two significant advantages: 1) obscurations (water droplets, bugs, dirt) on the windshield are individually less significant and 2) a summary of the events occurring to the windshield (e.g. RAIN) is more immediately apparent than to a camera right behind a small sample section of the windshield. Vision-based sensing of when the wipers are needed and how frequently, would be vastly easier if a camera were positioned inside the car facing forward, eg over the drivers head or at least the front edge of the headliner.

Here’s hoping Tesla continues to apply basic logic to their challenges, because these problems are easy to solve once you begin asking the right questions.
Would you sell your fsd back to tesla for 15k? Or 9k and keep Eap? I would do 9k for sure in a heartbeat.

Actually, since I paid $10k, I wouldn't sell it back and take EAP for for $4k or $5k. I have a loaner with EAP right now and it is much worse than FSD. Maybe after they merge the stack for AP, but as of now, it might be worth the difference. Hands free driving with FSD is pretty good.
'
how is it hands free driving when you get a warning to apply pressure to yolk? Same for looking at the road when you are checking a text message, god forbid

'
how is it hands free driving when you get a warning to apply pressure to yolk? Same for looking at the road when you are checking a text message, god forbid
The pressure nag seems to be gone with FSD version 11.3.6 (2022.45.15). I don't have to keep my hands on the yoke at all. I do still have at keep my eyes on the road. They seem to only be relying on the camera now.

EAP with version 2023.6.11 still requires holding the yoke.

The pressure nag seems to be gone with FSD version 11.3.6 (2022.45.15). I don't have to keep my hands on the yoke at all. I do still have at keep my eyes on the road. They seem to only be relying on the camera now.

EAP with version 2023.6.11 still requires holding the yoke.
That is not the case for me. I still get told to put my hands on the yoke.

Reactions: jebinc