Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am more and more convinced that Tempest wheels are the kiss of death for deliveries before September. I really want to switch now but am worried it's gonna make it even worse and not better because its a change. FML
I agree. However I ordered the 19's for a reason which was smoother ride and less chance of issues with LA potholes that has been proven in other threads. (Certainly not for looks, as they are hideous.) Someone wrote on one of the forums they waited for 12 hours for Tesla service to come change their tire (no spares) and it happens at least once or twice a year. Then technically you are supposed to replace all four tires because they are not supposed to have uneven wear. This sounds like a total headache and additional cost I do not want. So as much as I would like to switch to 21's even if they offered them to me, I do not think I would take them at this point and just wait it out. Totally and completely sucks.

I've got your same build, ordered a few weeks after and I'm still stuck on August (after being June for a bit) Honestly just feels like they're hitting a randomizer button at this point.
you have 21's you should be getting a vin before those who ordered in 8 months before you with 19's. At Least you have that solace

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot
Text yesterday to expect delivery possibly this month. Then they share this today. I HATE Tesla lol
This is perhaps the saddest note I’ve read here. I’ve been living vicariously through your journey and rooting for you, and this was like a gut punch. Apparently it really doesn’t matter what appears on your account or what communication you get from Tesla. Nothing they say is credible. Unbelievably sad coming from a company that makes such great cars.

Going to use my off topic freebie post to comment on 19 vs 21s:

the 19inch hub cabs look terrible on the model s. I also think 19 looks too small on the s. The range diff is apparently just 30 miles which is not enough to argue range is the reason to go with 19s. Every time I see those wheels on current cars it reminds me not to get them. Makes the car look so old and classier but less sporty. I’m 28, I dont want my car to look like that. We will see about ride comfort, but it can’t be worse than my MYLR on 20s, which I don’t find to be a problem. New arachnids look sick. There is no comparing the two. Also I hear handling and performance may be a little better?

I also prefer to not live in fear - I have not had any of these 21inch scare stories happen to any of my cars.

I agree. However I ordered the 19's for a reason which was smoother ride and less chance of issues with LA potholes that has been proven in other threads. (Certainly not for looks, as they are hideous.) Someone wrote on one of the forums they waited for 12 hours for Tesla service to come change their tire (no spares) and it happens at least once or twice a year. Then technically you are supposed to replace all four tires because they are not supposed to have uneven wear. This sounds like a total headache and additional cost I do not want. So as much as I would like to switch to 21's even if they offered them to me, I do not think I would take them at this point and just wait it out. Totally and completely sucks.
This is exactly what my thinking was...except for me it's the crappy roads in the Northeast. More importantly its the range. 37 miles (when I ordered and now its 30 :rolleyes: ) seemed like a huge amount to me at first. Then again, I will be topping it off at night, so it shouldn't matter. If I happen to take a road trip, I doubt 30 miles will impact it too much.

I am not in love with the 19's, but at this point it is really just about the wait. September doesn't screw me logistically, I am just ready to have this damn thing in my garage!

Reactions: Danlbrau
I also think 19 looks too small on the s.
I honestly think it is entirely the hubcap that makes it horrible. My 19" carbon sonic slip stream wheels looked fantastic on my previous LR S. I would do it all over again had they not changed the wheel base.
I also prefer to not live in fear - I have not had any of these 21inch scare stories happen to any of my cars.
Agreed that I personally never heard of any 21s having issues, beyond just reading about others experiences. But there are so many other factors that could go into it as well. It is mostly why I told my SA if you can match me to a vehicle in my configuration with either 19s or 21s - I would take it. Made that comment earlier.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I got off the phone with an SA who apologized profusely for the text I received yesterday in response to my question about 19's. She didn't know of anything (surprise) and talked to some higher ups and wasn't aware. She reiterated as long as you ordered before March you should expect June or July delivery, at this point July. Taken with a grain of salt but atleast is somewhat positive news if any truth to it, that deliveries will continue to be pushed out as fast as possible after EOQ. Still a reach out to you on my end after mondays Aug est, will just not look and try an be pleasantly surprised if an email comes before september but not hopeful. With what we have seen, clearly the 19s are a problem

Going to use my off topic freebie post to comment on 19 vs 21s:

the 19inch hub cabs look terrible on the model s. I also think 19 looks too small on the s. The range diff is apparently just 30 miles which is not enough to argue range is the reason to go with 19s. Every time I see those wheels on current cars it reminds me not to get them. Makes the car look so old and classier but less sporty. I’m 28, I dont want my car to look like that. We will see about ride comfort, but it can’t be worse than my MYLR on 20s, which I don’t find to be a problem. New arachnids look sick. There is no comparing the two. Also I hear handling and performance may be a little better?

We don't really like the included 19" compared to what Tesla offered in the past. We chose the 19" since we plan on installing aftermarket wheels. While I do like the look of the new Arachnids, I don't think we'd keep them on long. We did recently tell Tesla we'd be willing to take delivery of a car with 21" but we'd still plan on swapping them out.

We currently have two Model S. The one with 19" has never had any blowouts but did need one tire replaced due to a screw being lodged in the sidewall of the tire. The Model S without 19" has had 5 flats in 3.5 years, at least three of which were blowouts.

We don't really like the included 19" compared to what Tesla offered in the past. We chose the 19" since we plan on installing aftermarket wheels. While I do like the look of the new Arachnids, I don't think we'd keep them on long. We did recently tell Tesla we'd be willing to take delivery of a car with 21" but we'd still plan on swapping them out.

We currently have two Model S. The one with 19" has never had any blowouts but did need one tire replaced due to a screw being lodged in the sidewall of the tire. The Model S without 19" has had 5 flats in 3.5 years, at least three of which were blowouts.
After my second flat (and bent wheel) in as many months on an M3P with 20s, I ordered the tsportline 18” turbine style wheels with low rolling resistance tires, and have had zero issues in over 20k miles on them.

Attachments

• 38A7E5FD-DF91-441B-82E3-848C3F5C33AE.jpeg
    38A7E5FD-DF91-441B-82E3-848C3F5C33AE.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 81
After my second flat (and bent wheel) in as many months on an M3P with 20s, I ordered the tsportline 18” turbine style wheels with low rolling resistance tires, and have had zero issues in over 20k miles on them.
Yeah, we've had several different sets of T-Sportlines over the years. My current S has their TSS wheels (their version of Arachnids) but in 19". They look great and no flats in over 4 years. We'll be looking to do something similar on the new LR S.