Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I switched to 21's yesterday and got a VIN few hours later. I know the car is not guaranteed to be delivered soon gauging by how Tesla has dealt with things, but I think my proximity to Fremont might help.
So you ordered a couple of days after me and like me, had the double curse of white interior and 19” I changed to 21’s on Sunday morning. No VIN for me. My account has been steady at “August” for about a month or so.

Displaying a front plated is required in Illinois.

Too bad. Looks bad on a luxury car. It is not required in Ohio, so if car is sold in a state where it is not required, then don’t ship with one. Even the picture of my car ordered car on their website shows no front license plate.

Also, even though it was required in Ohio, up until last July, I never did it anyhow and never got a warning of not having one. And my car looked much better. LOL. :)

Too bad. Looks bad on a luxury car. It is not required in Ohio, so if car is sold in a state where it is not required, then don’t ship with one. Even the picture of my car ordered car on their website shows no front license plate.

Also, even though it was required in Ohio, up until last July, I never did it anyhow and never got a warning of not having one. And my car looked much better. LOL. :)
I had no front plate on my model 3 and got a ticket for it while it was parked in front of my house.

Per a separate comment (or rumor, call it whatever) - Tesla crash tested the car with it on. So "legally", they have to be on there. Else they would have to re-test it without to sell it without.

That said, there are California deliveries that people same it comes without it. So who really knows.

It is two pieces of tape to remove it and trash / recycle the plastic. Really not the end of the world.

For me, hate it. Texas requires it (although the legislature tried to get rid of it so clearly it is not a big deal) and I run the risk of a ticket. I also do not go just the speed limit.

I think I recall from other posts (not a CA resident), but only 70% is legal in California.

It's not legal at 40%. The legal limit is 70% (to confirm). I had a BMW i8 with 20% tint, then a BMW X6 M with 35% the last 7-8 years here in LA and I had no problem ever with tint, so I'm not too worried. The only time I had an issue was when I got pulled over for a speeding ticket, and he warned me it's too dark (no ticket).

I did not tint the windshield top (for now)... waiting to see. It's not legal in CA (70% is limit)
For the front windows, 70% is the limit. For windshield, only the top few inches can be tinted. That's for California. Other states could be different.

I would like to know how much heat comes in through the windshield. There are clear coatings for windshield that block only heat (and UV).

Reactions: derevan007
Has anyone here actually been pulled over and ticketed for tint?
Yep, my wife got pulled over just for the tint on our old Audi. I know a lot of people who have been ticketed for no front plate. But about 20% of the cars don't have the plate, so the chances are low for tickets, but they do happen.

I gave in and after years of no plates on my Porsches, I have just added it for one less thing to worry about.