Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get the $69,420 price honored?
No, they sent me a new order agreement, but I should receive a $2,000 discount off of yesterday's price of $79,990
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.48.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.38.49 PM.png

Oh wow, love to see that.

An odd thing though: No Tesla logo on the center cap? Like ... Ok, they changed from silver to (basically) black and it looks better but they couldn't spring for center caps? In 30 years of owning cars I can't think of a set of wheels that didn't have a logo on the center cap.

I mean ... Not gonna complain, the dark hubcaps look way better than the light ones, but if the whole wait was for someone going to Lowes and getting a can of Krylon, I'll be a bit disappointed.

Reactions: d1ez3 and cwanja
Tell that to all of us who ordered before the refresh. We all had the $69,420 base price and it was completely ignored, and we were given a $2000 concession.
I thought about this for a few minutes and you really are getting a better car than you ordered originally. It’d be great if Tesla honored the price for the old car, but you’re getting an entirely better car at $2k off.

Does anyone have a summary of the current delivery expectations? 160 pages is quite a bit to read through.

From the last 10 or so I gather that there are some issues with the dark 19" wheel production and those are going to be a little late? I have an RN1150x order placed late May for a MSM LR with 19" wheels and all black interior. Delivery estimate has been October since the start (but I haven't checked very often).

I'm not in a rush, my 2021 e-tron Sportback Prestige I got early April is a lemon and Audi is repurchasing it, which I hope will be over and done with early August. Looking forward to doing the right thing after all by getting a Tesla 😬

Does anyone have a summary of the current delivery expectations? 160 pages is quite a bit to read through.

From the last 10 or so I gather that there are some issues with the dark 19" wheel production and those are going to be a little late? I have an RN1150x order placed late May for a MSM LR with 19" wheels and all black interior. Delivery estimate has been October since the start (but I haven't checked very often).

I'm not in a rush, my 2021 e-tron Sportback Prestige I got early April is a lemon and Audi is repurchasing it, which I hope will be over and done with early August. Looking forward to doing the right thing after all by getting a Tesla 😬

You’re right, the summary is that 19” is gonna be a bit. It doesn’t look like they’ve delivered any yet, and nobody has spotted the dark tempest wheels in the wild. I hope it works out for you to get your car early August, but my guess is that an early August delivery would be a little optimistic for you. But who knows?

You’re right, the summary is that 19” is gonna be a bit. It doesn’t look like they’ve delivered any yet, and nobody has spotted the dark tempest wheels in the wild. I hope it works out for you to get your car early August, but my guess is that an early August delivery would be a little optimistic for you. But who knows?
Cool! I have a huge amount of Hertz points and Silvercar credits left so I'll be fine without a car for a month or two. I'm just hoping for September mostly. Thanks!

I'm relatively new to this saga of ranting/whining/waiting as well (June order) but I've been scouring through the messages to look for pertinent info on deliveries. Here's what I think the highlights are -
- Plaid deliveries were prioritized over LR in last quarter. So very few LR deliveries happened last quarter
- There are people who have had their orders since last year (pre-refresh and as early as Oct 2020) who still haven't gotten VINs and have blank delivery dates
- 19" is definitely a hold up, but just today we saw a picture of an LR model with 19". So that gives us some hope. However, SAs (Sales Associates) have been saying that 19" orders will start being delivered from August
- In your case, MSM + black is a good combo to be delivered soon, but 19" are certainly a hold up. However, some people (including me) have upgraded from 19" to 21" in the hopes of getting the car early. But this strategy has proven successful only for some early orders (RN1145 and below I guess)

I will be happy if May/June orders are fulfilled in October but not surprised (though certainly peeved) if they get pushed to Nov/Dec. I really hope Tesla doesn't ignore us ordinary LR folks over the mighty Plaid folks. ;)

BTW, curious to know what happened to your e-tron. I was considering leasing one earlier this year.

You must’ve missed this from a couple of pages ago:

👀👀View attachment 682793

Reactions: TStok
BTW, curious to know what happened to your e-tron. I was considering leasing one earlier this year.
Not super on topic for this thread, but since you asked. There were a few issues.

1. Traffic Jam Assist: In November 2020 production switched to cars with a newer version of the assistance systems that displays an icon when Traffic Jam Assist (an existing system) is active. Clearly the software was incomplete, because my Traffic Jam Assist didn't work at all. Sometimes I'd see the icon for a few seconds before it disengages. This meant that I never got any lane guidance from the car below 40mph when in traffic (only when not following a car). In traffic, the car did this lane guidance flickering instead:
. Audi Bellevue was completely useless and had told me a variety of these excuses multiple times: "the car correctly comes to a stop in slow traffic", "lane departure warning is not functional under 40mph" "lane guidance is a very sensitive system" "you should try some different roads" "we can't compare this system to that in any other Audi as the e-tron is a very different vehicle". Only the third time I brought the car in for service (for yet another issue) I insisted to have the service foreman join me for a drive, and he immediately said "oh yeah that doesn't look right". They had the car for 30 days (while waiting for a part for another problem) and couldn't fix it, even though they replaced all assistance related hardware. Audi just screwed up the software and doesn't have a fix for cars that were built with the bad software.

2. Radio quality is atrocious: HD radio sounds super bad, FM radio sounds kinda bad and Android Auto has issues too. 2021 e-trons onward have a new infotainment system stack (MIB3) that has the same UI but is very different under the hood. It clearly has issues with audio processing, as HD radio just sounds atrocious (pops of static every few seconds, high volume sounds are distorted which makes everything but classical music sound terrible). Android Auto has the pops issue, just not as often.

3. Coolant valve issue: about 2000 miles in I got a drivetrain cooling system malfunction warning that went away the day after. Took it to Audi Bellevue, got told after a few days they couldn't see any issues and the error code was likely "just an air bubble in the coolant, it's a new car after all". 20 minutes into my drive when I picked up the car again the warning reappeared and this time was permanent. Waiting for the valve replacement part took 30 calendar days in the end.

4. Door window surround trim is loose: on a longer trip I noticed at highway speeds that there's some flapping thing near my wing mirror that I could see in the reflection. The gloss black window surround trim (metallic without black optics) came loose at the front. Pushing it back in is fine for a few days but it's impossible to fully get it in again. Haven't had this serviced since Audi agreed to repurchase before I noticed this.

5. Infotainment system issues (and not small ones):
- The car will forget your saved destinations / radio favourites about twice every week.
- Sometimes it'll just forget who you are entirely and you'll get to redo some of your MMI / navigation settings
- While driving it'll often update the navigation maps, and when it does the navigation system reloads and forgets all your planned charging stops
- You'll sometimes have the car shouting at you every 30 seconds that you won't have enough range to make it, even though you're less than a few miles away and will arrive with over 25% charge.
- After getting out of the car, when you get back in the car will often have forgotten the names of your (charging) stops along the way and it just shows coordinates.
- The route planner will sometimes happily send you via a Tesla destination charger for a scheduled 8 hour stop instead of making a 20 minute detour for a great Electrify America charger.
- Sending destinations to the car via your phone only works about half the time. The other half you'll see the destination pop up in your car on your next drive (be that an hour or a few days later).
- Sometimes the route navigation just doesn't appear in your Virtual Cockpit or on your HUD. Fully restarting the MMI and the car sometimes fixes that.
- Infotainment is generally just slow.

In total the car spent 45 days in service since I got it April 8th. The assistance issue (Traffic Jam Assist) is still not fixed. The radio quality issue is structural and affects every 2021 Audi with Bang & Olufsen sound system, Audi will never acknowledge it even though they now ask sales advisors to disable HD radio before handing over the cars (since it's not as obvious with FM radio). Only the coolant issue is fixed. 1/3 of everything I reported, with an atrocious service track record both from Audi of America and Audi Bellevue. And then just a huge range of software issues that, without actual OTA update capability I wasn't expecting to ever get fixed.

On top of that I had some really bad luck with someone keying the car in week 1 of owning it (no idea who or where, I don't park or drive like an asshole), and then a rock chip on the windshield in week 2. Each of which costs me a $500 deductible.

Nope. I'm done. It's a good thing the car is being repurchased because I regret not going for a Tesla in the first place.

Not super on topic for this thread, but since you asked. There were a few issues.

1. Traffic Jam Assist: In November 2020 production switched to cars with a newer version of the assistance systems that displays an icon when Traffic Jam Assist (an existing system) is active. Clearly the software was incomplete, because my Traffic Jam Assist didn't work at all. Sometimes I'd see the icon for a few seconds before it disengages. This meant that I never got any lane guidance from the car below 40mph when in traffic (only when not following a car). In traffic, the car did this lane guidance flickering instead:
. Audi Bellevue was completely useless and had told me a variety of these excuses multiple times: "the car correctly comes to a stop in slow traffic", "lane departure warning is not functional under 40mph" "lane guidance is a very sensitive system" "you should try some different roads" "we can't compare this system to that in any other Audi as the e-tron is a very different vehicle". Only the third time I brought the car in for service (for yet another issue) I insisted to have the service foreman join me for a drive, and he immediately said "oh yeah that doesn't look right". They had the car for 30 days (while waiting for a part for another problem) and couldn't fix it, even though they replaced all assistance related hardware. Audi just screwed up the software and doesn't have a fix for cars that were built with the bad software.

2. Radio quality is atrocious: HD radio sounds super bad, FM radio sounds kinda bad and Android Auto has issues too. 2021 e-trons onward have a new infotainment system stack (MIB3) that has the same UI but is very different under the hood. It clearly has issues with audio processing, as HD radio just sounds atrocious (pops of static every few seconds, high volume sounds are distorted which makes everything but classical music sound terrible). Android Auto has the pops issue, just not as often.

3. Coolant valve issue: about 2000 miles in I got a drivetrain cooling system malfunction warning that went away the day after. Took it to Audi Bellevue, got told after a few days they couldn't see any issues and the error code was likely "just an air bubble in the coolant, it's a new car after all". 20 minutes into my drive when I picked up the car again the warning reappeared and this time was permanent. Waiting for the valve replacement part took 30 calendar days in the end.

4. Door window surround trim is loose: on a longer trip I noticed at highway speeds that there's some flapping thing near my wing mirror that I could see in the reflection. The gloss black window surround trim (metallic without black optics) came loose at the front. Pushing it back in is fine for a few days but it's impossible to fully get it in again. Haven't had this serviced since Audi agreed to repurchase before I noticed this.

5. Infotainment system issues (and not small ones):
- The car will forget your saved destinations / radio favourites about twice every week.
- Sometimes it'll just forget who you are entirely and you'll get to redo some of your MMI / navigation settings
- While driving it'll often update the navigation maps, and when it does the navigation system reloads and forgets all your planned charging stops
- You'll sometimes have the car shouting at you every 30 seconds that you won't have enough range to make it, even though you're less than a few miles away and will arrive with over 25% charge.
- After getting out of the car, when you get back in the car will often have forgotten the names of your (charging) stops along the way and it just shows coordinates.
- The route planner will sometimes happily send you via a Tesla destination charger for a scheduled 8 hour stop instead of making a 20 minute detour for a great Electrify America charger.
- Sending destinations to the car via your phone only works about half the time. The other half you'll see the destination pop up in your car on your next drive (be that an hour or a few days later).
- Sometimes the route navigation just doesn't appear in your Virtual Cockpit or on your HUD. Fully restarting the MMI and the car sometimes fixes that.
- Infotainment is generally just slow.

In total the car spent 45 days in service since I got it April 8th. The assistance issue (Traffic Jam Assist) is still not fixed. The radio quality issue is structural and affects every 2021 Audi with Bang & Olufsen sound system, Audi will never acknowledge it even though they now ask sales advisors to disable HD radio before handing over the cars (since it's not as obvious with FM radio). Only the coolant issue is fixed. 1/3 of everything I reported, with an atrocious service track record both from Audi of America and Audi Bellevue. And then just a huge range of software issues that, without actual OTA update capability I wasn't expecting to ever get fixed.

On top of that I had some really bad luck with someone keying the car in week 1 of owning it (no idea who or where, I don't park or drive like an asshole), and then a rock chip on the windshield in week 2. Each of which costs me a $500 deductible.

Nope. I'm done. It's a good thing the car is being repurchased because I regret not going for a Tesla in the first place.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
That seems like a nightmare and just goes to show how Tesla is leaps and bounds ahead of other EVs in terms of not just their driving hardware but also functional software. I did hear about someone's LR rebooting while driving but hopefully those kinda issues are relatively rare and would be fixed by updates.

Yeah, at least with a Tesla (and many recent cars) you get updates. With Audi you'd be dependent on there being a TSB for a specific issue, and then if you're lucky you'll get an update via the dealer 6-18 months later. After seeing the incompetence of some service advisors at Audi Bellevue I just wanted to get rid of the car and stop worrying about it.