Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple questions.
Just got a VIN, and asking for final payment.

Questions:
1) The EDD now shows February, but earlier today was Aug 26-Sep 3. Why would it show Feb?

2) Since I ordered early Jan, I'm supposed to get 2,000$ off, but that isn't showing on final invoice. Who and how do I contact someone at Tesla for the fix?
Thanks for your help.
My EDD did update overnight to Aug 26-Aug 29.
Getting a little excited

TLDR: Tesla has clearly implemented - in a hurry - a more finely-grained automated system to estimate delivery dates, to show on our profile page. Call it the DDM. Not AI, since that requires training, and there's nothing to train it with. In computer jargon, DDM is probably an ugly mess of case and if statements. There's the case 'car has VIN, is linked to a customer, and is in shipment', and many more. Most of us are in an uncertain case, where parts flow and manufacturing schedules aren't yet nailed down. I can't speculate about how DDM can figure all this out - that seems complicated. The whole thing seems even more complicated. There's a case "over 10,000 units away from production", which returns "February", say. Which brings up this: there are bugs in DDM.

Does Tesla have a firm revenue target for September 30? Does DDM take that into account? Well, not directly - this would be built into the manufacturing schedule. That schedule might be something locked in once a week for the coming week, all needed parts in hand, with future weeks only provisional, potentially changing every time a supplier updates its schedule. Just making this up, to give a sense of the problem, and why your EDD changes frequently.

All these cars are ordered, you might say, and Tesla ought to have a system like Porsche does when you order a car - it's a car assigned to you as soon as the order reaches the scheduling department. There are still uncertainties, but which car is yours is not one of them - it can be tracked. Tesla is not like Porsche, however - there are no options for deviated stitching, body-matched mirrors, etc. You always buy a Tesla from inventory, really - a long wait for a suitable car to appear out of a black box as inventory, then a short wait once it's assigned and shipped to you (in theory).

None of this excuses the abysmal communication, which continues. Let's keep harping on this, get some stories written, get Musk to stop thinking about Mars all the time. He has no business complaining about German regulatory dysfunction.

Looks great! Wish I would have ordered the MSM instead of white. Kept waffling, but always been a silver/grey guy.
@DBV1 My 3 was MSM/white. When I first ordered the refreshed S, I ordered white/black (January delivery). After a looksie at the SC, I changed to MSM/Cream/Walnut on 8/4. The car magically arrived on 8/13! So, consider an order change if you really want MSM?