Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they do, it will probably have to use the newer battery technology. They'll also have to call it something other than Long Range, since that's what the majority of us have already ordered.
True. And "Long Range" is what is on my Order Agreement. My local SA told me that the 4680s were not coming to the USA for another 2-3 years.

Why do people think a "new LR" is on the horizon instead of the far far likelier "Model S LR is a redundant name. Let's just call it Model S and Model S Plaid?"

Can't satisfy current demand.
Need every 4680 for Austin and Berlin.
4680 will require a hefty, time consuming, and expensive redesign and factory retooling.

What am I missing?
Agreed. Semi and Austin MY will be taking most of the supply for quite awhile.

Reactions: Filter
Why do people think a "new LR" is on the horizon instead of the far far likelier "Model S LR is a redundant name. Let's just call it Model S and Model S Plaid?"

Can't satisfy current demand.
Need every 4680 for Austin and Berlin.
4680 will require a hefty, time consuming, and expensive redesign and factory retooling.

What am I missing?
Tend to agree with you. Only caveat is they might want to compete range-wise with Lucid. But, I personally think those 4680s are destined for the semis in the new couple years in the US and for Y and 3 in Europe.

Reactions: Filter and Vinny860
But the vinyl wrap is protecting the original paint
Vinyl wrap will protect against the elements but offers very little protection from impacts (like rock chips) or scratches (like a shopping cart). The actual PPF is almost rubbery in feel which is basically a super strong "padding" against impacts and scratches. Vinyl wrap is basically just covering your car in a giant sticker.

Reactions: Woodchuck
Tend to agree with you. Only caveat is they might want to compete range-wise with Lucid. But, I personally think those 4680s are destined for the semis in the new couple years in the US and for Y and 3 in Europe

Ah, Lucid.

As much as we are all (mostly) enamored of the Model S as a product and see Lucid as a competitor, that's a consumer perspective. From a business perspective the companies are going after very different markets with fundamentally different business models and strategies. Tesla bought themselves just enough time with the S/X refresh to continue production of them and get back to real business (pretty much everything else besides the S/X.)

If/when it comes time that they can afford the time and resources to deploy 4680's into the S/X, I expect they'll just go cleansheet. There's only so far they can band-aid the current S and X architecture.

Reactions: Filter and 2Cybers
Received my VIN exactly 1 week ago and I did not received any communication from Tesla regarding scheduling delivery. So I called Tesla on Monday and they said my MS is leaving Fremont that day. I called again today, 11/11, and they said my MS is sitting in a rail yard outside Chicago ready to be loaded onto a truck to be dropped off at the Westmont, IL service center, which is 30 minutes away from the rail yard Tesla apparently uses. I asked the SA when I can expect delivery and he said towards the end of the month, around 11/23.

Is it me or does 12 days to get the car from the rail yard to the SC, inspect and prep for delivery seem like an absurd amount of time? Is there anything I’m overlooking?

What's wrong with the current S and X architecture?
I don't mean band-aid as in there's something wrong with their architectures. They're great but they are 10+ years old.

I mean band-aid in terms of applying all the new things Tesla has learned and developed (4680, mega castings, manufacturing processes, list goes on and on) to an architecture that was designed before any of those things were even ideas.

Don't forget that 4680's don't mean just 4680's. It means structural battery packs and mega castings to get the packaging right (cooling requirements, weight savings, manufacturing efficiency, etc). It's not just a straight battery swap.

S/X are too low volume and old to make that worth it. Better to start with a clean sheet.

I don't mean band-aid as in there's something wrong with their architectures. They're great but they are 10+ years old.

I mean band-aid in terms of applying all the new things Tesla has learned and developed (4680, mega castings, manufacturing processes, list goes on and on) to an architecture that was designed before any of those things were even ideas.

Don't forget that 4680's don't mean just 4680's. It means structural battery packs and mega castings to get the packaging right (cooling requirements, weight savings, manufacturing efficiency, etc). It's not just a straight battery swap.

S/X are too low volume and old to make that worth it. Better to start with a clean sheet.
The Tesla model S refresh shouldn't be called a refresh. There is too much that is new. The people who don’t how much they really upgraded the car will keep thinking there is some big change coming. It’s gonna be a long time for the things your talking about.

I ordered my car on Jan 28th 2021. My date has changed at least 6 times. My sales associate has not reached out to me once to let me know the reason for the delays. Reservation RN1144. Midnight Silver Metallic, 19” Wheels, black interior, No FSD.
It is weird hearing about people getting their Long Range cars before me when they ordered much later.
A little history.

The first refresh I saw in person was in Vallejo on July 11, 2021 They had 3 of them

Blue a plaid 21” black interior
White LR 21” cream interior
White LR 21” black interior.

I went to the Tesla store in Walnut Creek and they said the end of July that wheels were holding up orders
of cars ordered with 19” wheels.

On September 16 I got a message from my Tesla sales advisor asking if I could take delivery of one between the end of October and the end of November because suddenly they got some extras in their inventory. I didn’t say yes quick enough so that didn’t work out.
I was kind of worried I would get one of those many cars sitting outside Tesla Fremont waiting for parts.

I started taking screenshots of my dates.
On September 7 it showed Dec 1 to Jan 1
On October 15 it showed Jan 19 to Feb 18
On October 28 it showed March 16 to April 13 and that date is still the same today November 12, 2021.

I ordered mine way before all of the price increases and I have to wonder if they want me to cancel my order by pushing my date out.
Hopefully with all our stories we can all make some sense of this madness.

I would love to know who has the oldest Model S LR order.
James in Northern California.

Called up Tesla to check in on things yesterday. Got a dude on the phone who I think was kind of confused.

My delivery was scheduled for 11/18 at 11am. I was asking to make sure shipping was still on time to make it by then. He then says "well, it looks like they're delivering it on 11/18 at 11am, so we need to move up your delivery appointment". You're telling me the shipper just happened to adjust their arrival to exactly the time I was set to pick it up?

I think he just read the wrong field. But now my delivery appointment is pushed back to 11/20 at 5pm, which is ~14 hours before I plan on driving it 1100 miles...

I'm going to head over to the SC in person today and bribe whomever I need to bribe to get it on the 18th.