Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid - Salvage - NJ ($50k)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up for sale is my 2021 Model S Plaid. I bought it from auction as a salvage flood. It has 28 miles. I have not been able to do much with it. It came without a key. With a "jump start", the screens do power on and the 12v electronics all seem to work. The contactors on the battery do not close and the 12v battery displays "not connected". It is very tough to figure anything out with these cars, especially without a key, so I have not been able to do much. I was going to have it brought to a service center but due to financial reasons right now I have decided to list it up for sale instead. I am listing it for how much I paid for it, $50k. Note that since it does not have a key, it does not let you raise the air suspension, the button is "grayed out." You will need a flat bed. I am located in 08872 NJ. Any questions, let me know, Thank you!

Attachments

• car front.jpg
    car front.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 356
  • car right.jpg
    car right.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 228
  • car left.jpg
    car left.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 230
  • car rear.jpg
    car rear.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 235
  • car interior.jpg
    car interior.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 234
  • car sticker.jpg
    car sticker.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 247
Up for sale is my 2021 Model S Plaid. I bought it from auction as a salvage flood. It has 28 miles. I have not been able to do much with it. It came without a key. With a "jump start", the screens do power on and the 12v electronics all seem to work. The contactors on the battery do not close and the 12v battery displays "not connected". It is very tough to figure anything out with these cars, especially without a key, so I have not been able to do much. I was going to have it brought to a service center but due to financial reasons right now I have decided to list it up for sale instead. I am listing it for how much I paid for it, $50k. Note that since it does not have a key, it does not let you raise the air suspension, the button is "grayed out." You will need a flat bed. I am located in 08872 NJ. Any questions, let me know, Thank you!
How would one go about getting a key for this? Is the title in hand/does the title reflect a salvage title?

I am open to offers. The flood line was very low and I am pretty confident the motors and most modules are perfectly fine. You're pretty much looking at 3 scenarios with this car:

Scenario 1: Best case scenario. Obtain a key, use toolbox to clear all faults/update/redeploy firmware, etc and maybe everything is okay.
Scenario 2: Obtain a key, clear all faults/updates, and maybe it'll need minimal replacement of components/modules.
Scenario 3: Worst case the car needs a battery. There is one on ebay for $10k.

Any potential to get a key made for this to see if the outlined scenarios are a possibility? Or to at least derisk some of the worst case scenarios.

What troubleshooting have you done thus far and what has/hasn't worked?

Any potential to get a key made for this to see if the outlined scenarios are a possibility? Or to at least derisk some of the worst case scenarios.

What troubleshooting have you done thus far and what has/hasn't worked?
I haven't done any troubleshooting. Only thing I did was make a request for Tesla Mobile service to get a key made. The tech came and he was not able to make a key because the service alarms that were active. Essentially if there are active alarms that prevent the car from going into "drive" then mobile techs cannot make a key. He advised I schedule an appointment to bring it to the service center. That's where I got unmotivated and decided to just to sell it and buy a model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
I haven't done any troubleshooting. Only thing I did was make a request for Tesla Mobile service to get a key made. The tech came and he was not able to make a key because the service alarms that were active. Essentially if there are active alarms that prevent the car from going into "drive" then mobile techs cannot make a key. He advised I schedule an appointment to bring it to the service center. That's where I got unmotivated and decided to just to sell it and buy a model 3.
so silly from Tesla... what if u had only one key n lost it.. how would they put the car in Drive?? what if i wrecked my own car n lost the key?? bs...
they should cut the key like any other company, with only proof on ownership... car condition should be irrelevant

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
so silly from Tesla... what if u had only one key n lost it.. how would they put the car in Drive?? what if i wrecked my own car n lost the key?? bs...
they should cut the key like any other company, with only proof on ownership... car condition should be irrelevant

It’s not, if you can put the car in drive, it’s,if the car can be put in drive at all. With all the things wrong with the car, it can’t be put in drive.

Reactions: richyrich

You have to admit, it’s kinda funny that you gave up already on the first step, which, while a PIA, was almost certainly going to be the easiest step of all the hell that would come after that step. 🤣🤣

What an interesting opportunity - considering it will need a new pack, and bearing all risk, the price would need to make sense. If somebody has the liquid cash and wants a project this is it.

I'm like a quarter of the way there cash wise but cool opportunity for someone else.