Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid - Salvage - NJ ($50k)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What an interesting opportunity - considering it will need a new pack, and bearing all risk, the price would need to make sense. If somebody has the liquid cash and wants a project this is it.

I'm like a quarter of the way there cash wise but cool opportunity for someone else.

Let's say you get it all fixed up, what do you think it's worth as a flood car considering that these things are selling used with clean titles and no flood damage for $80's and falling?

If you pay $42K + potentially $30K in parts or more + a nightmarish load of labor and complexity due to the nature of flood damage, is it really a good opportunity?

What an interesting opportunity - considering it will need a new pack, and bearing all risk, the price would need to make sense. If somebody has the liquid cash and wants a project this is it.

I'm like a quarter of the way there cash wise but cool opportunity for someone else.
Exactly, I would like someone to buy it with the expectation it needs a new pack. If someone buys a used pack or has connections, they can still come out on top. If it's not a battery, then they would make out nicely.

Let's say you get it all fixed up, what do you think it's worth as a flood car considering that these things are selling used with clean titles and no flood damage for $80's and falling?

If you pay $42K + potentially $30K in parts or more + a nightmarish load of labor and complexity due to the nature of flood damage, is it really a good opportunity?
At worst it needs a battery which is $10k on ebay. Sure new at tesla it will be 20k+ installed. That's why I am posting on the forums for someone that is saavy and can fix it without forking 30k to the service center.... IF it needs a battery.

At worst it needs a battery which is $10k on ebay. Sure new at tesla it will be 20k+ installed. That's why I am posting on the forums for someone that is saavy and can fix it without forking 30k to the service center.... IF it needs a battery.

That's a big "if" that the battery is the only issue. How much have you driven it to test all the other systems out?

Even if it's only a $10K battery, I don't think the car would be worth more than $50K on the used market after repairs carrying a flood title. Even most automotive salvage youtubers won't touch a flood car because they are an absolute nightmare. For anyone buying a repaired flood car, they are massively rolling the dice that there won't be more problems that creep up down the road.

So if you're lucky, you'd only be $2K under water with this deal after a massive amount of effort spent, and if you have my luck, you'll be $20-30K underwater for the privilege of all that work.

For the right price - yes, in my opinion, i think it could be a good opportunity to own a plaid long-term on the cheap. From a flipping perspective - not so much. Key thing is the right price - that would be closer to half of what is being asked, however.
Even though I have the cash it doesn't seem like to good opportunity to me.
Different people with different positions - that is OK.
Assuming the battery on ebay checks out and wasn't taken out of a car in a similar condition like this. Sadly most ebay sellers (and 3rd party sellers of used batteries) don't offer any sort of rep when doing a sale like this. All burden is to beard by the party buying the pack and proving that the pack itself is faulty if the car doesn't want to boot up.

I get why you want to cut your losses here - as there is exposure risk to dig deeper ($$$ wise). Cool opportunity, nevertheless.

That's a big "if" that the battery is the only issue. How much have you driven it to test all the other systems out?

Even if it's only a $10K battery, I don't think the car would be worth more than $50K on the used market after repairs carrying a flood title. Even most automotive salvage youtubers won't touch a flood car because they are an absolute nightmare. For anyone buying a repaired flood car, they are massively rolling the dice that there won't be more problems that creep up down the road.

So if you're lucky, you'd only be $2K under water with this deal after a massive amount of effort spent, and if you have my luck, you'll be $20-30K underwater for the privilege of all that work.
50k... lol. Anyone would go out of their way to buy a running plaid for 50k. Here's the only R title flooded Plaid on the market that I am aware of, Salvage 2022 Tesla Model S

car has been run through multiple auction sites before OP bought it. Someone found something crazy, then relisted the car. OP bought said ‘problem child’ and now wants out.

For reference, clean title Plaids are in the 80s.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Cheapest Plaid on Manheim, today
1682378799344.png

car had a rough life lol

So if I read that right this already sold at auction in early 2022 for $56k, then went back to them 8 months later and stayed on sale until OP bought it in Jan this year?

Seems very likely that first buyer tried to fix issues for 8 months then gave up and put it back to auction? Sorry OP but not promising. I'd strongly suggest go talk nicely to the manager at your nearest SC and if they're willing, get it into them for diagnostics - you have little to lose. Of course there's a good chance this is exactly what the previous owner did before deciding to send it back to auction based on the results....

I haven't done any troubleshooting. Only thing I did was make a request for Tesla Mobile service to get a key made. The tech came and he was not able to make a key because the service alarms that were active. Essentially if there are active alarms that prevent the car from going into "drive" then mobile techs cannot make a key. He advised I schedule an appointment to bring it to the service center. That's where I got unmotivated and decided to just to sell it and buy a model 3.
I am wondering how this would work now, has this changed? I am looking at getting a Salvage Model X, and I’m curious if I should avoid the ones that don’t have keys.