Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 21” OEM wheels with OEM summers vibrated at 80mph and above. My 19” OEM with OEM winters vibrate at 80mph and above. I just put on some new 19” forged monoblock wheels with Pirelli OEM summer tires, with friction lock, - and the vibration is 90% gone. I don’t even notice it now unless I fully let go of the yoke and can then see the tiniest movement.

I received my Plaid last September with the original 19" Tempest wheels and Pirelli Pzero tires. I swapped my winter studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 EV -tires for the original wheels, and all the vibration that was there with the original summer tires, was gone. I already suspected that there was something wrong with the tires.

For winter, I had misplaced the summer tires (without wheels) to my outdoor warehouse space, and the tires had been exposed to some dripping rainwater and melting snow during the winter. I went to my tire shop to change the summer tires on the wheels, and they said that they will have to take the foam out of the tire.

Well, now all the shaking and imbalance is gone and the nois increase is negliglible. You may want to try removing the foam inside the tire if you are experiencing shaking and vibration. If the original tires are fitted on the wheels in high temperature, even shipping the car to a lower temperature area may cause the moisture in the tire to condense into the foam, and cause some imbalance on the tires. It can even move to different place when tires heat and cool, and the moisture condenses again from steam to droplets.

My tire shop was figuring out similar issues earlier with a Mercedes EQS, which had inconsistent and strange vibration despite balancing the tyres. They found that the only way to get things right was removing the foam, and if not, it should be extremely dry (as well as air humidity in the tire shop).

Reactions: Stan930