Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It didn't occur to me to mention this because it was on another car of mine, from a symptom standpoint, identical issue with my Lexus SC430.
After checking everything including wheel balance, roundness, trueness, and rotor runout....which were all perfect and not the cause....it turned out it was the front brake pads. Even though there was over 50% left at 65K miles, they were causing the steering wheel to wobble slightly at freeway speeds. I'd read that brake pads could cause this. As soon as I replaced them with brand new factory pads, the problem vanished and hasn't returned.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Did you try changing the drive bias to rear wheel only? Does it get better or stay the same?
No, I haven't but I think someone else on this forum had tried this with no luck.
It didn't occur to me to mention this because it was on another car of mine, from a symptom standpoint, identical issue with my Lexus SC430.
After checking everything including wheel balance, roundness, trueness, and rotor runout....which were all perfect and not the cause....it turned out it was the front brake pads. Even though there was over 50% left at 65K miles, they were causing the steering wheel to wobble slightly at freeway speeds. I'd read that brake pads could cause this. As soon as I replaced them with brand new factory pads, the problem vanished and hasn't returned.
Very interesting. What I don't understand though is why it happens only at 85+ mph though (at least for me).
Well you know the Model 3 is very unlikely to vibrate. Get that while you wait on the Taycan
I've got the car back from Tesla and I absolutely hate it with the yoke vibration. I agree with @Propofoln to get the M3 (and skip another Plaid S) while you wait on the Taycan.

Reactions: Propofoln
No, I haven't but I think someone else on this forum had tried this with no luck.

Very interesting. What I don't understand though is why it happens only at 85+ mph though (at least for me).

I've got the car back from Tesla and I absolutely hate it with the yoke vibration. I agree with @Propofoln to get the M3 (and skip another Plaid S) while you wait on the Taycan.

"Yes, same as before. The vibration completely disappears at 100% rear bias. Linear decrease as you move the slider rearward."

"Yes, same as before. The vibration completely disappears at 100% rear bias. Linear decrease as you move the slider rearward."
So I think that is a different vibration than the 80+ mph one that I (and several others) are experiencing. I feel like the one you are referencing has to do with the motors where as mine is something steering rack / suspension related that no one can figure out.

So I think that is a different vibration than the 80+ mph one that I (and several others) are experiencing. I feel like the one you are referencing has to do with the motors where as mine is something steering rack / suspension related that no one can figure out.

That thread extensively talks about the higher speed vibration despite the title. Maybe you could give it a try?

Could it be an out of balance motor?
Try going into Track Mode and shifting power delivery from 100% aft and forward--worth a shot to see if it's a motor issue . . . otherwise, I'm baffled.

Another option, although rare: we had a '13 P85 that vibrated in gentle curves at highway speed. They found a bent strut (or two) IIRC. Finally solved a years-long problem (and thank heavens for the ESA)!

Please be very, very careful with the car set to full rear bias, though. Do not disable stability assist.
Yep, appreciate it.

Try going into Track Mode and shifting power delivery from 100% aft and forward--worth a shot to see if it's a motor issue . . . otherwise, I'm baffled.

Another option, although rare: we had a '13 P85 that vibrated in gentle curves at highway speed. They found a bent strut (or two) IIRC. Finally solved a years-long problem (and thank heavens for the ESA)!
Will do -- I'll try by first throwing it in autopilot mode at 85mph and verify the yoke vibration. Then I'll shift the power delivery to 100% aft to see if the vibration goes away. Do you feel like this would be a good test case?

Reactions: WilliamG
Yep, appreciate it.

Will do -- I'll try by first throwing it in autopilot mode at 85mph and verify the yoke vibration. Then I'll shift the power delivery to 100% aft to see if the vibration goes away. Do you feel like this would be a good test case?
Yes, but I think Track Mode has to be engaged in Park IIRC?

Also, shifting power aft and forward and back, stopping at intermediate points will likely help isolate, IF it's a motor issue.

Good luck!

More ammunition for the a brake issue:

Since service and others have swapped wheels and tires without fixing the issue, in the post above, the car that had the issue and then track pack installed completely solved the vibration. So my money's still on a warped rotor or a brake pad issue.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Since service and others have swapped wheels and tires without fixing the issue, in the post above, the car that had the issue and then track pack installed completely solved the vibration. So my money's still on a warped rotor or a brake pad issue.
I wonder if installing floating rotors up front would help then... Traditionally fixed calipers + fixed rotors means there's a greater likelihood of vibrations etc. Though I would expect that to be more noticeable when actually braking

Girodisc seems to make rotors for our cars. Could be worth a try - though not super cheap. Tesla Model S Plaid, LR 380mm Front Rotors

I wonder if installing floating rotors up front would help then... Traditionally fixed calipers + fixed rotors means there's a greater likelihood of vibrations etc. Though I would expect that to be more noticeable when actually braking

Girodisc seems to make rotors for our cars. Could be worth a try - though not super cheap. Tesla Model S Plaid, LR 380mm Front Rotors
Are the Mode S calipers fixed??????

The fronts are

That's crazy. All my previous cars have had floating calipers (since I've done all my own brake work I know). Never replaced brake pads on a Tesla yet though. I wonder why they did that. Even the SLIGHTEST warped rotar or out of true hub will cause vibration with a fixed caliper.

EDIT: so yup. Looking at front caliper pictures. Fixed. Mind blown.