Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup! And other things, but I pushed them on the half shaft vibration on every single visit. Started back in '21.

This dude at the service center keeps suggesting that it is just the design of the car and others do it also, so just accept it. He did it again today! I got pissed and said a $120,000 car should not vibrate on the highway at 80 mph. My Kia Telluride doesn’t do that nor any of my previous cars. Unbelievable.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot and kopo
This dude at the service center keeps suggesting that it is just the design of the car and others do it also, so just accept it. He did it again today! I got pissed and said a $120,000 car should not vibrate on the highway at 80 mph. My Kia Telluride doesn’t do that nor any of my previous cars. Unbelievable.
Lemon law, and go get something else. I think I will start the process.

Reactions: Propofoln and kopo
Actually, my yoke doesn't vibrate at 80 mph, so they don't all do that. But, I do have really bad half shaft vibrations between 40-50 mph.

Reactions: kopo
Interesting

IMG_3768.jpeg

Ok. Got my car back and vibration is still there, but MUCH better. I can live with the way it is now, i think. Here is what they did.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience! Looks like the technician is at least taking it seriously. Please keep us updated on how it performs for a few miles!

I sometimes have experienced a placebo effect that I feel the fix works for me after frequently visiting the service center with the same problem.

Reactions: kopo and Propofoln
Thank you for sharing your positive experience! Looks like the technician is at least taking it seriously. Please keep us updated on how it performs for a few miles!

I sometimes have experienced a placebo effect that I feel the fix works for me after frequently visiting the service center with the same problem.

Yeah. Driving it this am felt pretty close to before. I’m gonna give up probably trying to fix it. Weird thing is vibration in pedal is 80-90 and gets better after 90ish. Maybe drivetrain?

Hello there!

I have a 2021 Model S Plaid (21-inch arachnid rims, on Goodyear all-season tires)with approximately 24,000 miles.

The steering yoke vibrates or shakes at highway speeds, usually 74-85 MPH.

Steps I have taken to address this issue.
I have taken the rims off the vehicle and verified that they are not warped or bent (commercial shop)

I have mounted and balanced the tires using a road-force balancer, and I have observed the machine shows they are all within specification.

I have taken the Vehicle to Tesla, who attempted to correct the issue by balancing. Tesla conducted steering calibration and verified that all suspension components were within specification.

The issue remains; I have uploaded a short video clip of this in action. It is very difficult to get a good camera angle to capture this.

I am seeking any constructive feedback in regard to fixing this issue.
I have a 2022 MX LR, and had this issue for a year now, had taken the car back to Tesla for balancing repeatedly (5 or 6 times) and also took the car to an independent shop for balancing once. It never got fixed, just varying degrees of vibration, usually starting around 78 mph and getting worse until 86 mph, then going away at higher speed.

Well, I finally fixed it! One of the veteran service people at my local SC told me that the stock Continental tires are "mid range" and that I might want to consider going to Discount Tire, which is now a Tesla authorized partner, amd putting premium tires on. I had only driven 15k miles on my Continental tires, but I went ahead and took advantage of am instant rebate + a mail in rebate from Pirelli, and replaced all 4 tires.

So far, it has been an immediate massive improvement and the tires also seem to feel better on the road. Maybe my imagination but I doubt it. All in cost was about $1,200, and this includes lifetime balance and rotate, + a 50k mile warranty.

Wanted to post this here as my ability to now use Autopilot at 80-85 is back, before it had been too annoying bc of the vibration.

I chose the Pirellis over the Michelins as the tech at Discount Tire said the Michelins aren't as smooth on the road.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

I have a 2022 MX LR, and had this issue for a year now, had taken the car back to Tesla for balancing repeatedly (5 or 6 times) and also took the car to an independent shop for balancing once. It never got fixed, just varying degrees of vibration, usually starting around 78 mph and getting worse until 86 mph, then going away at higher speed.

Well, I finally fixed it! One of the veteran service people at my local SC told me that the stock Continental tires are "mid range" and that I might want to consider going to Discount Tire, which is now a Tesla authorized partner, amd putting premium tires on. I had only driven 15k miles on my Continental tires, but I went ahead and took advantage of am instant rebate + a mail in rebate from Pirelli, and replaced all 4 tires.

So far, it has been an immediate massive improvement and the tires also seem to feel better on the road. Maybe my imagination but I doubt it. All in cost was about $1,200, and this includes lifetime balance and rotate, + a 50k mile warranty.

Wanted to post this here as my ability to now use Autopilot at 80-85 is back, before it had been too annoying bc of the vibration.

I chose the Pirellis over the Michelins as the tech at Discount Tire said the Michelins aren't as smooth on the road.

Good info. Anyone do this with the Arachnid 21s?

Sounds like my exact same vibration, but mine are 21 inch arachnids with Michelin pilot sports

That's great news indeed! Which Pirelli tires did you end up getting?