Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update from anyone with this issue? About to drop off for FOURTH time tomorrow for this issue
I don't drive above 70 too much where I live but my vibrations were still there last night when I took my LR S to 75mph after 2300 miles of ownership. There's absolutely nothing below that like I used to experience in my ICE cars when the wheels were out of balance or if I have an out of round wheel.

Got the rear wheels swapped out as SC said the rims were “bent” (they weren’t), and vibration at 80 mph + still the same. My vibration *maybe* gets worse after regenerative braking. Maybe. If that’s the case, could it be rotors or brakes? Manual braking doesn’t seem to change the vibration or elicit it.

Hello there!

I have a 2021 Model S Plaid (21-inch arachnid rims, on Goodyear all-season tires)with approximately 24,000 miles.

The steering yoke vibrates or shakes at highway speeds, usually 74-85 MPH.

Steps I have taken to address this issue.
I have taken the rims off the vehicle and verified that they are not warped or bent (commercial shop)

I have mounted and balanced the tires using a road-force balancer, and I have observed the machine shows they are all within specification.

I have taken the Vehicle to Tesla, who attempted to correct the issue by balancing. Tesla conducted steering calibration and verified that all suspension components were within specification.

The issue remains; I have uploaded a short video clip of this in action. It is very difficult to get a good camera angle to capture this.

I am seeking any constructive feedback in regard to fixing this issue.
check this thread:

Got the rear wheels swapped out as SC said the rims were “bent” (they weren’t), and vibration at 80 mph + still the same. My vibration *maybe* gets worse after regenerative braking. Maybe. If that’s the case, could it be rotors or brakes? Manual braking doesn’t seem to change the vibration or elicit it.
Sorry to hear that! Did they already swap out the front wheels?

Neither rotors nor brakes are used for regenerative braking; only normal braking. Regenerative is done through the motors. So, if I have read your statement correctly, then I would say your rotor/brakes are not the culprit.

Reactions: Propofoln
This is entirely a wheel balance issue. Bring the car to a German OEM dealer that's been around a while. Road force balancing is an intricate process, the person doing it matters more than the actual machine being used.

The other option would be to find a Model S to test drive that does not vibrate, swap the wheels out with your Model S and go for a drive.

This forum is an echo chamber of a small amount of customers with an issue. If every Model S vibrated there would be a lot more talk of it.

This is entirely a wheel balance issue. Bring the car to a German OEM dealer that's been around a while. Road force balancing is an intricate process, the person doing it matters more than the actual machine being used.

The other option would be to find a Model S to test drive that does not vibrate, swap the wheels out with your Model S and go for a drive.

This forum is an echo chamber of a small amount of customers with an issue. If every Model S vibrated there would be a lot more talk of it.

You think the vibration would still be the exact same, even after the wheels have been swapped out and rebalanced, if it was a balancing issue?

I'm not sure about the echo chamber. I had three model S and X service loaners and they all vibrate at 80 mph. My '21 plaid does not.

As someone that has driven dozens of X and S's over the past decade (loaners, friends cars, and my own) this is definitely not an echo chamber.

The reality is that the suspension engineering on S and X's is horrible. The vibrations and rear-tire wear issues are real.

Reactions: Propofoln
You think the vibration would still be the exact same, even after the wheels have been swapped out and rebalanced, if it was a balancing issue?
If you took the wheels off a Model S that doesn't vibrate and put them on yours and it still vibrated then obviously something is wrong with the car. To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't been tested by anyone... I mean I get that it's not a very practical troubleshooting method but it would be fool proof.

Reactions: jacie6056
If you took the wheels off a Model S that doesn't vibrate and put them on yours and it still vibrated then obviously something is wrong with the car. To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't been tested by anyone... I mean I get that it's not a very practical troubleshooting method but it would be fool proof.

I have had all my wheels replaced by tesla. It is not the wheels or tires

I have had all my wheels replaced by tesla. It is not the wheels or tires
That doesn't guarantee the new wheels and tires are balanced correctly. As I've said before, road force balancing is an intricate process and you can be sure if they're doing it at Fremont they are not paying any attention whatsoever as the main goal is to churn out cars as fast as humanly possible.

I had vibrations at 70,80,90mph. I had my wheels balanced 2x at Tesla, but never solved it. Went to a Porsche dealer, paid $300 US and was instantly fixed.

Reactions: n2mb_racing
That doesn't guarantee the new wheels and tires are balanced correctly. As I've said before, road force balancing is an intricate process and you can be sure if they're doing it at Fremont they are not paying any attention whatsoever as the main goal is to churn out cars as fast as humanly possible.

I had vibrations at 70,80,90mph. I had my wheels balanced 2x at Tesla, but never solved it. Went to a Porsche dealer, paid $300 US and was instantly fixed.

I might try that, but it’s been road forced balanced at Tesla 3x and Discount tire