Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see you have an older S and a current Y. Have you confirmed this is true on a Palladium car.
As I said just yesterday (emphasis added):
exFAT is definitely supported in a non-refresh Model S and has been for a while, despite what the manual says—I have been using exFAT for both TeslaCam and media. Whether exFAT is supported by the firmware used in the refresh is in question.

In your case, I would set the walk-away locking to exclude your home location (if that is an option on the refresh.)
Appreciate that. The Tesla app has to still be running in the foreground or background of the device as well right? So if I know I am not leaving, I can force quit the application technically and have nothing to worry about.

Never owned the Model 3 or Y which introduced the phone key support.

Appreciate that. The Tesla app has to still be running in the foreground or background of the device as well right? So if I know I am not leaving, I can force quit the application technically and have nothing to worry about.

I have a 2015 S so no phone key option for me. So I don’t know if not having the app running would help.

Reactions: cwanja

@omarsultan my saving grace and resident guinea pig. Thoughts?

Reactions: Ramphex
@omarsultan my saving grace and resident guinea pig. Thoughts?
Yes, the app has to be open in the foreground. If you use an iOS device, the hype of force closing every app is antiquated and was never what it was perceived to be. You’re actually using more resources and time to force close and fully reopen each app instead of leaving it suspended and then resuming it. I can’t speak for the Android platform as I’m not very familiar with it.

Reactions: cwanja
On the new Tesla app, does it give you the option to turn on ventilated (not heated) seats or control the rear fan for the back seats?
I have Android so still waiting for the updated app.
No. You can only turn on the climate or the seat heaters. It doesn't show an animation of the rear fan coming on. There is an option in the car to have the cooled seats come on automatically. We'll test and see if turning on the climate control also pre-cools the seats.

Reactions: brunla and cwanja
Force-quitting the Tesla app does kill the phone key. If I had thought about it, I could have checked last night--as soon as you force quit the app, the phone key disappears from list of Bluetooth devices.
Awesome, sounds like that will be my mode of operation. Just force quit it if I am not leaving the house for a while and the car is sitting. Good to know. Thanks, as always, @omarsultan

Awesome, sounds like that will be my mode of operation. Just force quit it if I am not leaving the house for a while and the car is sitting. Good to know. Thanks, as always, @omarsultan
Might want to see if if you can use a Siri shortcut to automate things a bit, although I have never tried killing an app with a shortcut. Technically, you don't need to kill the app, just turn off Bluetooth, which might work better for you.

Might want to see if if you can use a Siri shortcut to automate things a bit, although I have never tried killing an app with a shortcut. Technically, you don't need to kill the app, just turn off Bluetooth, which might work better for you.
That would disconnect other Bluetooth items though - mainly my Apple Watch. Do not think I can individually turn of a connected device without forgetting it.

Reactions: omarsultan
No. You can only turn on the climate or the seat heaters. It doesn't show an animation of the rear fan coming on. There is an option in the car to have the cooled seats come on automatically. We'll test and see if turning on the climate control also pre-cools the seats.
I asked Erik and he confirmed that if you turn on the climate remotely and have the ventilated seats set to auto, they will turn on as well.

Did I miss the purpose/reason for this force closing the app? Lol
So my living room is literally sitting above my garage. So to let my car fall asleep and prevent the car from locking / unlocking as I chase my 18 month old around the house, I would want to not have the phone key trying to engage the car. That was the real intent.

I will probably first test it to see if the car is even picking it up above the car. But I need a car first.

So my living room is literally sitting above my garage. So to let my car fall asleep and prevent the car from locking / unlocking as I chase my 18 month old around the house, I would want to not have the phone key trying to engage the car. That was the real intent.

I will probably first test it to see if the car is even picking it up above the car. But I need a car first.
That won’t be an issue. There’s two methods it connects to the car (actually shows up as different devices). One for bluetooth stereo/phone features and one bluetooth as a key. The key is a proximity thing and doesn’t connect unless you’re within a couple of feet. The other bluetooth (stereo) requires the car to be on. I have a similar house setup and no issues, car is always sleeping.