Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you'll win and get back your $100. It might only cost you $20k in legal fees to do it.
I am confident that if anyone sued Tesla over this Tesla would roll over immediately and pay any attorneys’ fees. The alternative is to submit to discovery on when Tesla believed it would deliver the Model S refresh when Elon announced in January it was already in production and Tesla’s website represented February/March deliveries. That would not be pretty. You’d probably find out, for instance, that Tesla had never even bothered to figure out sourcing for white seats at that time.

I am confident that if anyone sued Tesla over this Tesla would roll over immediately and pay any attorneys’ fees. The alternative is to submit to discovery on when Tesla believed it would deliver the Model S refresh when Elon announced in January it was already in production and Tesla’s website represented February/March deliveries. That would not be pretty. You’d probably find out, for instance, that Tesla had never even bothered to figure out sourcing for white seats at that time.
There’s the basic concept of lead time and cycle time in operations. Tesla adds something called “Elon time” that trumps these.

Last edited:
I think its pretty clear that when I ordered my performance in January that Tesla had zero intention delivering the car that I ordered, whatever timeline they might have quoted at the time.

Hate to keep bearing bad news...

My Jan 13 1143 LR/Red/White/19/FSD order is in the internal build scheduler for Jan 2022 (soft match). Customer facing account shows blank.

However, friends are telling me they'd be surprised if I don't get my car in Q4.

Will keep this group posted on if that changes.
Woah same build as you! Who are these special friends of yours?

I think you need a hug!

I think you need a hug!
This is serious business! My wife and I want to buy a house but we can’t go house hunting because we don’t have a car. And Tesla keeps saying it’s going to deliver the car soon, but then keeps pushing the delivery date back. Frankly, it’s bullshit. All jokes and exaggerations aside, this is a scummy company. A seven month delay (so far) is way past the point of reasonableness.

This is serious business! My wife and I want to buy a house but we can’t go house hunting because we don’t have a car. And Tesla keeps saying it’s going to deliver the car soon, but then keeps pushing the delivery date back. Frankly, it’s bullshit. All jokes and exaggerations aside, this is a scummy company. A seven month delay (so far) is way past the point of reasonableness.
Uber? Lyft? Rental? Turo? Bikes?

I was offered a switch in the last two weeks of the quarter. SCs create a queue of fall-back customers for deliveries that fall through so that they minimize inventory before the stroke of midnight at EOQ.
me too. it was rather funny...

SC: Ive got great news for you. A car that almost matches your config has just come available.
Me: Really? Awesome. Tell me more
SC: It needs to be picked up today
Me: Umm. its 4:45PM and my bank closes in 15 minutes. Can I pay tomorrow?
SC: <a few seconds of silence> uh, no I think it needs to be paid for today
Me: oh well! what was the config anyway?
SC: Its a cream interior, almost white in the daytime
Me: How old do you think I am?

Just buy a cheap daily now and go shop for house. Figure out your Model S after the fact. A home is more important than a car, imo.

5 days later, my EDD updated again.

Now it's 12/29-12/31.
Not sure if I can trust such a small window this much in advance, but it works better than the previous, earlier time window, for my personal situation.
I'm in the same boat. Same config but ordered mine on 5/4 and also in Washington. My EDD is now Dec 11 - Dec 31, which is more reasonable than yours but highly unlikely either way given the repeated changes up and down a 6 month timeline. I think they've given me a date for each month of the year over a 6 month horizon.

1. on 5/4 --> August
2. in June --> Sept
3. In late June - Aug --> blank
4. After apology note --> Dec - Jan
6. In september --> Nov - Dec
7. Last saturday --> Oct 8 - Oct 28
8. Today --> Dec 11 - Dec 31

Mine sounds like - "we have no idea when but it's probably gonna be in 2021"
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but yours sounds more like "we want to hit the Q4 timeline but it's highly unlikely that we can"

if you seriously feel that way, then I don't know why you still have an order. I totally understand why you're frustrated. I would feel the same way if I was treated the same by Chevy, Toyota, Audi or any other legacy car company. However, if I walked into a Ferrari or McClaren dealer for the first time and told them I wanted one of their top of the line models configured just as I want it, I wonder how quickly I could get a reliable EDD, and how far out it would be? Some others here likely have good experience with these dealers and may comment. Why I don't lose my sugar with Tesla is I feel it's a totally different animal. Still a startup with way more irons in the fire than they can handle. I know that I'll eventually get my Plaid, and while it may not be perfect when delivered I am confident that they will make it right. And I'm confident that it is going to make me feel 17 again.

if you seriously feel that way, then I don't know why you still have an order. I totally understand why you're frustrated. I would feel the same way if I was treated the same by Chevy, Toyota, Audi or any other legacy car company. However, if I walked into a Ferrari or McClaren dealer for the first time and told them I wanted one of their top of the line models configured just as I want it, I wonder how quickly I could get a reliable EDD, and how far out it would be? Some others here likely have good experience with these dealers and may comment. Why I don't lose my sugar with Tesla is I feel it's a totally different animal. Still a startup with way more irons in the fire than they can handle. I know that I'll eventually get my Plaid, and while it may not be perfect when delivered I am confident that they will make it right. And I'm confident that it is going to make me feel 17 again.
Couldn’t have said it better. It usually takes up to 2 years to order a Ferrari if you’re a new customer. Not the same type of car obviously but Ferrari is still an established brand that only pumps out 10-15k cars per year. Tesla has more than surpassed that with only 10 years or so under its belt. Still a very young company doing big things

Couldn’t have said it better. It usually takes up to 2 years to order a Ferrari if you’re a new customer. Not the same type of car obviously but Ferrari is still an established brand that only pumps out 10-15k cars per year. Tesla has more than surpassed that with only 10 years or so under its belt. Still a very young company doing big things
I had no idea they take that long. Probably a good thing then that I have never walked inside a snooty dealership! I would have spewed my coffee (err champagne) all over the snooty salesperson!

I have something to offer here - I will personally sell my current dual motor Titanium 2015 S to epi* at the low price of $35k immediately so he/she/their isn’t homeless anymore! And I’m not being satirical or sarcastic in the least!

Agreed with this. I'm not really angry, moreso just disappointed/worried because I have no idea when I'll have to sell my gas guzzler, when to expect a message that says that the car is ready and that I have to pay and pick up now, or what to do with my newly installed 240V plug. Everyday I park my ICE right in front of that plug and it hurts my feelings.

The constant change to the EDD has now become an ongoing joke in the family.