Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's incorrect... the M3 switched to 2020 in Nov 2019 as far as I remember. I think we will see the same thing with MY... look for Oct / Nov production to be designated as 2021. I am thinking delaying my order as well to make sure I get a newer year MY.

+1 - IMO, noone really knows outside of Tesla. There is some good logic behind a change in the October-November timeframe, though, IMO. I can think of a few things that hint at this:

- History - it would be fairly similar timing to the small updates for the 3 last year
- Battery day - I wouldn't expect world changing things here, but any small capacity improvements could get announced there. If so, they are probably already in production for at least a week or two before announcement.
- The new casting machine and potentially a slight decrease in weight
- The launch of 3rd row and recent hints at this launching in Q4 instead of next year
- The (much) anticipated RWD launch in Q4

I'd also add that people here tend to underestimate the importance of the changeover in years. Look at used prices and you'll see a definite break from one model year to the other, so it definitely matters. And unlike with other car companies, you don't get to mitigate this by negotiating a great deal on the outgoing model year, so it can be worth it to wait a little longer.

All, just IMO, of course.

+1 - IMO, noone really knows outside of Tesla. There is some good logic behind a change in the October-November timeframe, though, IMO. I can think of a few things that hint at this:

- History - it would be fairly similar timing to the small updates for the 3 last year
- Battery day - I wouldn't expect world changing things here, but any small capacity improvements could get announced there. If so, they are probably already in production for at least a week or two before announcement.
- The new casting machine and potentially a slight decrease in weight
- The launch of 3rd row and recent hints at this launching in Q4 instead of next year
- The (much) anticipated RWD launch in Q4

I'd also add that people here tend to underestimate the importance of the changeover in years. Look at used prices and you'll see a definite break from one model year to the other, so it definitely matters. And unlike with other car companies, you don't get to mitigate this by negotiating a great deal on the outgoing model year, so it can be worth it to wait a little longer.

All, just IMO, of course.

I completely forgot about the 3rd row - thanks... Not sure how usable that will be for anybody over the size of a child but something to consider as well if that was on the wish list. hope they release that in Q4. would wait for that. whatever the logic was for them to switch the model years to a more auto industry standard, would be too confusing for them to switch that back now.

Reactions: jsight