Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MY - No M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got home from picking up my 2021 MY - VIN 629XX. LR white/white, Geminis, no FSD, no tow.

I can confirm that there are none of the recently reported M3 refresh features:

No change in center console
No dual paned/laminated glass in side windows
No USB port in the glove box

I was told that it WILL have the extra 10 miles of range (326), but mine was not fully charged when I picked it up, so can't confirm.

The car, overall, was in great shape. A couple of panel gaps to be fixed and a scratch on the front black trim. Smudges on the hood (buffed out by the detail team), smudges on the passenger seat and headliner (cleaned by the delivery team), and water spots on the trim (also cleaned by the delivery team). The overall experience in Costa Mesa was very good.

Let see if the 7 seats in December for the 2021 version, will bring some new updates?

tesla-model-y-7-seat-option.png

Just got home from picking up my 2021 MY - VIN 629XX. LR white/white, Geminis, no FSD, no tow.

I can confirm that there are none of the recently reported M3 refresh features:

No change in center console
No dual paned/laminated glass in side windows
No USB port in the glove box

I was told that it WILL have the extra 10 miles of range (326), but mine was not fully charged when I picked it up, so can't confirm.

The car, overall, was in great shape. A couple of panel gaps to be fixed and a scratch on the front black trim. Smudges on the hood (buffed out by the detail team), smudges on the passenger seat and headliner (cleaned by the delivery team), and water spots on the trim (also cleaned by the delivery team). The overall experience in Costa Mesa was very good.

Just wondering did the Costa Mesa center install the front license plate for you or give it to you to install yourself?

Unfortunately this is now holding back our Model Y purchase, we have placed an order and are originally set to take delivery in January. It’s just confusing why Tesla wouldn’t update both cars at the same time.

On the topic of the center consoles, I am sure they will. They probably have quite a bit of stock to use up before they transition the changes over to the Model Y. It wouldn't be wise to not continue using it on a vehicle that has only been in general availability for less than a year. There is less reason to refresh a design that is this new. With the Model Y forecasted numbers they way they are, they may need to boost Model 3 sales a bit to give it more attention. I've worked with tons of marketing teams and I can see this being a well-justified decision. It could be a while before we see those updates come to Model Y. But it will happen eventually, it benefits Tesla to have matching parts.

The reinforced glass is a whole different part number so that may be even further out. I would guess, if their supply chain is done well, they will do a refresh of a few changes at the 2 year mark.

If they do update the center console to the model 3 refresh for model Y, I will finally pull the trigger (been waiting a bit, and I am so happy to have the piano finish gone, easily the worst part of my model 3 interior).

You know you can fix this problem for about $20 DIY or professionally for around $50-75?

Unfortunately this is now holding back our Model Y purchase, we have placed an order and are originally set to take delivery in January. It’s just confusing why Tesla wouldn’t update both cars at the same time.

Do we know when/if Tesla will bring the same upgrades to MY? Have they announced they will? I wonder if they are timing the announcement for the 7 seater & LR RWD.

A guy in one of the EV FaceBook groups I'm in claims to work for a supplier of Tesla's, supplying inner door panels.

He says new door panels are coming for the 3 in January, small changes. I asked about the Y, he said they start production in July. It was also expected the headliner would change in the 3 as well as adding a heated wheel.

So I wouldn't be surprised if those changes happen for the 3 in early 2021 and the Y later in the year at which time perhaps they will change the console and headliner.

But, again, that is some random person on Facebook.

I think buying a Tesla is like buying some (not all) personal electronic devices. Whats hot and fresh today could be outdated a few months from now. So you have to decide when the time is right to jump in knowing this will happen. Not only knowing this will happen, but also knowing that future price reductions are also possible. If you keep waiting, you'll be waiting forever. I've been in here since July'ish, we've seen the taillights get updated (everyone went crazy, I personally prefer the older/original taillights), rear mega casting announced (everyone went crazy but I still don't understand why), range update (everyone went crazy at first, including me, thinking these were the new Panasonic cells, ended up being a boost for all cars), now people are going nuts over the Model 3 changes that may or may not be coming to the Y. Next month it will be something different, two months from now something else different, and so on and so forth.

A guy in one of the EV FaceBook groups I'm in claims to work for a supplier of Tesla's, supplying inner door panels.

He says new door panels are coming for the 3 in January, small changes. I asked about the Y, he said they start production in July. It was also expected the headliner would change in the 3 as well as adding a heated wheel.

So I wouldn't be surprised if those changes happen for the 3 in early 2021 and the Y later in the year at which time perhaps they will change the console and headliner.

But, again, that is some random person on Facebook.

I think buying a Tesla is like buying some (not all) personal electronic devices. Whats hot and fresh today could be outdated a few months from now. So you have to decide when the time is right to jump in knowing this will happen. Not only knowing this will happen, but also knowing that future price reductions are also possible. If you keep waiting, you'll be waiting forever. I've been in here since July'ish, we've seen the taillights get updated (everyone went crazy, I personally prefer the older/original taillights), rear mega casting announced (everyone went crazy but I still don't understand why), range update (everyone went crazy at first, including me, thinking these were the new Panasonic cells, ended up being a boost for all cars), now people are going nuts over the Model 3 changes that may or may not be coming to the Y. Next month it will be something different, two months from now something else different, and so on and so forth.

Tesla is like any other manufacturer where they change small things year by year until full refresh. I don't think people should get too hung up on it like a cell phone because its a EV. Then again Elon's goal is for you to upgrade about 5-6 yrs once you are done paying for the car to take on another loan for a matte finish interior and exterior paint lol

Tesla is like any other manufacturer where they change small things year by year until full refresh. I don't think people should get too hung up on it like a cell phone because its a EV. Then again Elon's goal is for you to upgrade about 5-6 yrs once you are done paying for the car to take on another loan for a matte finish interior and exterior paint lol

Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla owners and enthusiasts go NUTS when changes happen. Its so bizarre, I hope this lessens over time but my exposure to the brand thus far leads me to believe that may never happen.

Like the guy that is he(double hockey sticks) bent on getting a Y with the one piece rear casting. Two pieces are becoming one piece buddy, with an insignificant overall vehicle weight reduction. The end user will probably see zero difference in real world use. Why are you waiting for this? It benefits Tesla much more than the end consumer.

I disagree. Tesla does not announce when they are doing updates (they just do it anytime). Other car manufacturers do not do updates mid-year. They save the updates for the new Model Year. Regarding electronic devices, we can predict when they will be releasing new phones since they are on a cycle. We know a new iPhone is coming every fall.

I also think you guys are somewhat spoiled since the Model Y has (yet) to have any major changes since its so new. In the Model X forum, we have gone through a lot of these changes and they sting when your car is new. I got my car in 2017 and missed AP2.5 by a few months. That would have given me Sentry Mode. More recently, if you bought a Model X in August 2020, you missed the new battery pack and extra range by one month. That sucks.

On the topic of the center consoles, I am sure they will. They probably have quite a bit of stock to use up before they transition the changes over to the Model Y. It wouldn't be wise to not continue using it on a vehicle that has only been in general availability for less than a year. There is less reason to refresh a design that is this new. With the Model Y forecasted numbers they way they are, they may need to boost Model 3 sales a bit to give it more attention. I've worked with tons of marketing teams and I can see this being a well-justified decision. It could be a while before we see those updates come to Model Y. But it will happen eventually, it benefits Tesla to have matching parts.

The reinforced glass is a whole different part number so that may be even further out. I would guess, if their supply chain is done well, they will do a refresh of a few changes at the 2 year mark.

You know you can fix this problem for about $20 DIY or professionally for around $50-75?

Sure, and I am being a bit hyperbolic, it just seems like a dumb decision in the first place and I don't want to reward that when literally they "fixed" it with a better center console in every way. That and I'm intrigued if the double pane glass does help with road noise. I am in no rush anyways.