Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP Unable to AC charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 MYP (~5000 miles) can no longer AC charge.

I plugged my mobile charger into a NEMA 14-50 outlet and started getting CP_a066 “Charging equipment not ready. See equipment instructions to start charging.”
I then tried plugging it into a different building into a 110v outlet, but received the same error. Figured my mobile charger went bad, especially since it seemed to be charging just fine at an EV station nearby using the J1772 connector.

Tesla service was about to swap out my mobile charger appointment-free, but first tested with their mobile charger and realized they were still not able to get the car charging. They can’t get me into service until next week, so my only options are to use third party EV stations, or supercharge.

Well, about 24 hours later, I’m not able to get any third party EV chargers to work either.

I get the following error when plugging into a wall outlet (both 110v and NEMA 14-50):
CP_a066 “Charging equipment not ready. See equipment instructions to start charging”

And I get the following errors when plugging into third party EV chargers (J1772):
CP_a066 “Charging equipment not ready. See equipment instructions to start charging”
CP_a010 “Charging equipment communication error. Try again or try different equipment”
CP_a058 “Unable to AC charge - Unplug and retry. Or try DC Fast Charging / Supercharging”

Looks like I’m only able to charge at a supercharger at this point. 😢

Reactions: Landshark70
I have the same issue (started ~12/21/21). After talking with Roadside service - this type of issue “not being able to charge” is an issue that you can just take the car into service and they will fix it 'now' -- they told me to call my local service center and I just dropped it off, no service appointment needed.

I dropped off yesterday (no appointment) any they told me they will have it fixed ASAP - got a text this morning, and was told the ECU had failed and they are going to replace it, and have it 'fixed' today.

Can you try to call Roadside service and then have them transfer to your local service shop - that is what I did.

A bit of a back story:
The car was connected for ~7 days at the airport location and had charged to the set level of ~82% (and was working when we left). When we got to the car, it was ~70% and saw on the power unit 'fault', tired the next unit with the same results.

Got home plugged in as normal with the Mobile Connector, with the same issue - "charging equipment not ready"

All green on the Mobile Connector (14-50, dedicated/mounted to wall and was working before we left), Light is Blue (on the car) and left it overnight to see if it will work - no luck -

There could have been a power surge while your Tesla was parked, plugged in at the airport. The power surge may have damaged the ECU, else it was just a random failure.
I was thinking the same thing - but would be nice(er) if the car was able to provide some additional level of details more than "Charging equipment not ready. See equipment instructions to start charging." as that is not really helpful in this condition, nor was the rep on the phone (roadside agent) able to verify that a failed unit had happened while over the phone and reviewing the error/status details.

Seem to me there should have been a 'better' way to see/be informed of a failed condition - I guess this is just the way it is.

I would also think that if there was some 'power surge' there should be just a 'switch' to reset -

I think this is what failed but not sure until I see the final detail form/paperwork from Service Center - Parts Catalog

CP ECU, ASSY, GEN 4, NA1537264-00-B

1640981675388.png

I am having the same issue after updating to the holiday release 2021.44.25.2 on 12/24/21 the car will no longer charge on my charge point 32A home charger or the jukebox charger at my brothers office. Both of those chargers work perfectly and charge my brothers MYP and girlfriends MYP without issue. The car will also not charge with the TESLA mobile connector. I am able to supercharge and use charge points located in city parking structures but not my own personal charger. I was hoping that the update released on 1/3/2022 2021.44.30 would fix the problem but it has not. Tesla service tells me nothing is wrong when they remotely diagnose the car and that I have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment at the service center. This has really ruined my ownership experience. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and press the RESET button. Plug the Mobile Connector back into the vehicle. If the error persists, unplug the Mobile Connector from both the vehicle and the power outlet, then plug it back in. When plugging back in, always plug it into the outlet first.

Good call - but Mobile Connector v1 has the reset button, Mobile Connector 2 does not

If you have all green lights on the MC v1 or V2 - then it is not the MC it is the car - :(

Sounds like the same issue I had ECU failed

Can you try to call Roadside service (18777983752) and then have them transfer to your local service shop - that is what I did, no appointment needed.
I tried roadside and they offered no help. My local service shop didn't really care and said I had to wait until my appointment on jan 24th. Pretty disappointing customer service experience all around. Basically they pointed the finger at me and are blaming my equipment.

My 2021 MYP (~5000 miles) can no longer AC charge.

I plugged my mobile charger into a NEMA 14-50 outlet and started getting CP_a066 “Charging equipment not ready. See equipment instructions to start charging.”
I then tried plugging it into a different building into a 110v outlet, but received the same error. Figured my mobile charger went bad, especially since it seemed to be charging just fine at an EV station nearby using the J1772 connector.

Tesla service was about to swap out my mobile charger appointment-free, but first tested with their mobile charger and realized they were still not able to get the car charging. They can’t get me into service until next week, so my only options are to use third party EV stations, or supercharge.

Well, about 24 hours later, I’m not able to get any third party EV chargers to work either.

I get the following error when plugging into a wall outlet (both 110v and NEMA 14-50):

And I get the following errors when plugging into third party EV chargers (J1772):
CP_a010 “Charging equipment communication error. Try again or try different equipment”
CP_a058 “Unable to AC charge - Unplug and retry. Or try DC Fast Charging / Supercharging”

Looks like I’m only able to charge at a supercharger at this point. 😢

Has this been repaired? What was your experience like? What did they do to fix it?

I am having the same issue after updating to the holiday release 2021.44.25.2 on 12/24/21 the car will no longer charge on my charge point 32A home charger or the jukebox charger at my brothers office. Both of those chargers work perfectly and charge my brothers MYP and girlfriends MYP without issue. The car will also not charge with the TESLA mobile connector. I am able to supercharge and use charge points located in city parking structures but not my own personal charger. I was hoping that the update released on 1/3/2022 2021.44.30 would fix the problem but it has not. Tesla service tells me nothing is wrong when they remotely diagnose the car and that I have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment at the service center. This has really ruined my ownership experience. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I have the exact same issue at the exact same time with my brand new Model Y long range. I have a service appt booked. Hope my car battery lasts until the appointment in a few days. Very frustrating!!! Don't understand what the update did?? Haven't tried a super charger yet. Too busy doing job. No time to run around looking for super Chargers.

I tried roadside and they offered no help. My local service shop didn't really care and said I had to wait until my appointment on jan 24th. Pretty disappointing customer service experience all around. Basically they pointed the finger at me and are blaming my equipment.
Eeeek -- sorry to hear that you got stuck with disappointing customer service - guess it is hit or miss :(

"Basically they pointed the finger at me and are blaming my equipment" -- I had that same starting point but had two different Mobile Connector v2 to test with along with 14-50 plug and normal 110 for testing when on the phone with RoadSide and the outcome was not my equipment rather the ECU :(

Did you ask them if a Mobile Service is an option in your area?

Few more things I was told by Roadside service when I was facing the issues: if the car is 'stuck' / not able to move, then a tow truck is an option to get into a service center - in my case, I was worried that IF I was able to get to a Tesla Charging Station I would be stuck there (only had ~20% left on the car when I called). I was told no, just call back and then a tow truck would come and take it to the 'closest' service center, which is ~55 miles away.

I have the exact same issue at the exact same time with my brand new Model Y long range. I have a service appt booked. Hope my car battery lasts until the appointment in a few days. Very frustrating!!! Don't understand what the update did?? Haven't tried a super charger yet. Too busy doing job. No time to run around looking for super Chargers.
Dang -- sounds like you are in the same boat - I 100% agree on the frustration part, not a great experience when your car can't charge.

Guessing you did all the testing/troubleshooting steps with the same results? I would recommend (if possible) to get to a SuperCharger station and see if your ECU is working for that at least, and I fully understand it is not a great experience -- I was in the same spot.

Side note - to find SuperCharger quickly just use the map in your car (guessing you already know that), as that will also pre-condition for SuperCharger -- which is always recommended to do before getting to a Supercharge location.

Update as of 1/5/22 dropped into a different service center and they were much nicer and took the issue seriously. Turns out after a technician diagnosed the car the charge port ECU failed and needs to be replaced. Sadly the part is not available for 3 weeks as this has happened to other vehicles in my area. The service advisor ordered the part and is having it sent to the service center where my appointment is scheduled at the end of the month. They did supercharge me up, I was treated nicely and was satisfied with that interaction. Hopefully the actual service appointment goes smoothly.

Reactions: tdeno
Dang -- sounds like you are in the same boat - I 100% agree on the frustration part, not a great experience when your car can't charge.

Guessing you did all the testing/troubleshooting steps with the same results? I would recommend (if possible) to get to a SuperCharger station and see if your ECU is working for that at least, and I fully understand it is not a great experience -- I was in the same spot.

Side note - to find SuperCharger quickly just use the map in your car (guessing you already know that), as that will also pre-condition for SuperCharger -- which is always recommended to do before getting to a Supercharge location.
Thanks! Fortunately the service centre saw us today and replaced a broken ECU. All fixed. Car charging at Tesla as we speak. But why does it break on a 3 month old car? And very weird that it happened immediately after the software update.

But why does it break on a 3 month old car? And very weird that it happened immediately after the software update.
Why the software update made it go, I can't really say. But as to the first question, failures of equipment, especially electronics, are mostly likely either very early or very late in a product's life. This is called the Bathtub Curve.

This is referring to a plot of number of failures (Y axis) over time (X axis). And it makes kind of a bathtub shape, where failures are high initially, as parts that had slightly on the edge borderline defects get used and pushed a bit and the failures come out. Once those are weeded out, the failure rate drops really low for a long time until parts get really old, and then just long term material wearing out finally causes things to start dying more frequently again.

I work at a computer chip company, and we do run some extra hard stress testing on all new parts before being shipped to try to force out some of those early fails, but it's still going to be a bit high at the beginning.

Thanks! Fortunately the service centre saw us today and replaced a broken ECU. All fixed. Car charging at Tesla as we speak. But why does it break on a 3 month old car? And very weird that it happened immediately after the software update.

"All fixed" -- that is great news!

"But why does it break on a 3 month old car? And very weird that it happened immediately after the software update." -- agree seems odd to me as well!

I had the a similar problem yesterday. March 2020 M3 LR.

Set off from Chester to Compton Verney in Warwickshire. Updated to 2021.44.30.11 before leaving.

Used the Tesla Type 2 cable that came with the car to get some kW at Compton Verney. Stopped at Hilton Services on way back as I was needed a top up. I tried 4 different units and each time got a screen message 'Charging equipment not ready. See equipment instructions for charging'

Tried screen reset and in the end rang Tesla. Had a long chat with Tom who, after speaking with someone else, said turning the car off and leaving it for at least 10 minutes to go to sleep usually solves the issue. He said turn off Sentry and make sure phone app was also off. Apparently it resets a/the sensor(s) in the car socket.

Did as I was told, Went for a drink and returned to the car. Plugged in the cable again and all worked OK.

Phew!

Same issue with my Sept 2021 MYLR (using latest software).

Started a few days ago when plugged into my apartments Juicebox charger. Cannot charge with that using J1772 adapter (I get a CP_a139 error) and I cannot charge with the mobile connector (Tesla light turns dark Blue and car says ready to charge). I am able to supercharge.