Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP Unable to AC charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue with my Sept 2021 MYLR (using latest software).

Started a few days ago when plugged into my apartments Juicebox charger. Cannot charge with that using J1772 adapter (I get a CP_a139 error) and I cannot charge with the mobile connector (Tesla light turns dark Blue and car says ready to charge). I am able to supercharge.
Sorry to hear that --

Can you try this - and see if that does anything for you?

"
Tried screen reset and in the end rang Tesla. Had a long chat with Tom who, after speaking with someone else, said turning the car off and leaving it for at least 10 minutes to go to sleep usually solves the issue. He said turn off Sentry and make sure phone app was also off. Apparently it resets a/the sensor(s) in the car socket.

Did as I was told, Went for a drink and returned to the car. Plugged in the cable again and all worked OK.
"

Oh - also - does a super charger work - Guessing Yes?

Sorry to hear that --

Can you try this - and see if that does anything for you?

"
Tried screen reset and in the end rang Tesla. Had a long chat with Tom who, after speaking with someone else, said turning the car off and leaving it for at least 10 minutes to go to sleep usually solves the issue. He said turn off Sentry and make sure phone app was also off. Apparently it resets a/the sensor(s) in the car socket.

Did as I was told, Went for a drink and returned to the car. Plugged in the cable again and all worked OK.
"

Oh - also - does a super charger work - Guessing Yes?
I tried the screen reset and hard reset (although I didn't leave it off for 10 minutes) without luck.

I had to have the charge ECU replaced under warranty.

Edit: Makes sense that may work as I'm guessing its a software bug since anecdotally it seems people are having these issues in newer cars after the update. Guy at the service center this was the first time someone had brought it in for this.

Edit 2: I was able to get routed through roadside assistance directly to the service center which got me in a bit earlier since it was a significant issue and they had the parts on hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdeno
Same issue with my Sept 2021 MYLR (using latest software).

Started a few days ago when plugged into my apartments Juicebox charger. Cannot charge with that using J1772 adapter (I get a CP_a139 error) and I cannot charge with the mobile connector (Tesla light turns dark Blue and car says ready to charge). I am able to supercharge.
I am seeing same symptom as you. I also tried to put my 2021 MYLR to sleep for 30 minutes, still not able to charge Level 1 or 2 after waking up.

Were you able to fix without going to Tesla service center? Thanks for all pointers.

Hi @glidesi...I just saw your comment that you had to replace ECU. I guess I will need to do the same. Thanks.

Based on my understanding - If the AC charging is not working at all (and if you have verified with another outlet/Mobile charger), then ECU is or most likely the issue and needs to be replaced. DC fast charging may still work and might be the only way to get the car to charge, as that was my experience.

I have the same issue now with my Wallbox pulsar charger which won't charge my 2021 Model Y LR. However, the Wallbox charges my daughter's Nissan Leaf just fine. I am able to charge at a supercharger, and at the ChargePoint charger at work (which is a 30 A charger). But it is frustrating that after working smoothly for a year, I am unable to charge at home. The car also won't charge on the 120 V outlet using the granny charger provided by Tesla. I posted my experience here:

Now, if it is a problem with the AC charging equipment in the car, how is it that it charges on the ChargePoint charger at my workplace? I would assume that being an L2 charger that is an AC charger right? Very confusing. Have an appointment set up for early December, but would appreciate some pointers meanwhile.

I have the same issue now with my Wallbox pulsar charger which won't charge my 2021 Model Y LR. However, the Wallbox charges my daughter's Nissan Leaf just fine. I am able to charge at a supercharger, and at the ChargePoint charger at work (which is a 30 A charger). But it is frustrating that after working smoothly for a year, I am unable to charge at home. The car also won't charge on the 120 V outlet using the granny charger provided by Tesla. I posted my experience here:

Now, if it is a problem with the AC charging equipment in the car, how is it that it charges on the ChargePoint charger at my workplace? I would assume that being an L2 charger that is an AC charger right? Very confusing. Have an appointment set up for early December, but would appreciate some pointers meanwhile.
Will the Tesla Model Y charge at a Supercharger?

Is it possible you have scheduled charging enabled? Scheduled charger is location based, which would be a possible explanation for you being able to charge at work but it stops charging at home, and why your EVSE charges another car (the Leaf).

Just a stab in the dark.

Is it possible you have scheduled charging enabled? Scheduled charger is location based, which would be a possible explanation for you being able to charge at work but it stops charging at home, and why your EVSE charges another car (the Leaf).

Just a stab in the dark.
I never do scheduled charging since my electric utility (National Grid) doesn't offer different rates during different times.

The common thread is charging at your home, not only using the Wallbox unit. Did you recently have any electrical work done at your home? Have you recently started using a new home appliance such as a fridge or freezer (something with a motor?)
Nope. The last major electrical installation I had done was the Wallbox charger a year ago. No new appliance either. Also how do you explain being able to charge my daughter's Nissan Leaf on the same Wallbox equipment?

I never do scheduled charging since my electric utility (National Grid) doesn't offer different rates during different times.
Our electric company doesn't change rates based on peak times either. But I have switched to scheduled charging before going on a trip so that the car is at 100% before we depart in the morning, and after returning home it took me a second to figure out why it wasn't charging after plugging in. The scheduled charging, as I mentioned earlier, is location based, so while using L2 and L3 chargers on the road it would start charging immediately, after returning home it would delay. Granted, on the screen it would say something along the lines of "ready to depart by 8:00 a.m." or whatever the schedule was set for, and as @jcanoe mentioned you do get an indicator on the charge port itself, but it can still be easy to miss.

Nope. The last major electrical installation I had done was the Wallbox charger a year ago. No new appliance either. Also how do you explain being able to charge my daughter's Nissan Leaf on the same Wallbox equipment?
What amps does the Leaf charge at? I would guess 32A or so? what is your Wallbox set up for? I assume 40 or 48? That is possibly one difference. However, in your other thread you mentioned another model Y came over and charged successfully with your wallbox at your home? And your car charges successfully at a 32A chargepoint at another location (work)? Do I have all that straight?

It could be that the Wallbox EVSE is not as sensitive to power issues as is the Tesla Model Y's on-board charging circuits. I.e. it could caused by noise on the ground connection. The noise could be caused by a loose connection somewhere in the circuit or even elsewhere in the home or by a motor that is creating noise on the ground wire connection. That would explain why you can charge using the Chargepoint station at work.

What amps does the Leaf charge at? I would guess 32A or so? what is your Wallbox set up for? I assume 40 or 48? That is possibly one difference. However, in your other thread you mentioned another model Y came over and charged successfully with your wallbox at your home? And your car charges successfully at a 32A chargepoint at another location (work)? Do I have all that straight?
Yes all that is true.

Leaf charges at 32 A and Wallbox is rated for 40 A.