Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Owners....Deep rumbling noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

Picked up my 2021 yesterday. Was sitting in the garage last night playing with the infotainment system. As I was sitting there, I kept hearing this deep rumbling sound. It sounds like when you are in a theater and you can only hear the bass of an explosion from the theater next to you. It came and went several times. Lasts just a few seconds. Today, I heard it again while I was at a stoplight. I'm guessing it's the heatpump cycling on and off since that's pretty much the only moving part while the car is sitting still. I'm sure the pump makes SOME noise, but this seems way too loud to be normal. Everything seems to be working fine, just the noise. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? It's loud enough that I can't believe it would normally behave this way.

Todd
RELAX! And don't seat in the car when it's parked in your garage. CO can kill you, you know.
Also, based on description and my experience if looks more like your battery management system ... but can be a heat pump too, the heat pump sounds more subdued though.

Guys,

Picked up my 2021 yesterday. Was sitting in the garage last night playing with the infotainment system. As I was sitting there, I kept hearing this deep rumbling sound. It sounds like when you are in a theater and you can only hear the bass of an explosion from the theater next to you. It came and went several times. Lasts just a few seconds. Today, I heard it again while I was at a stoplight. I'm guessing it's the heatpump cycling on and off since that's pretty much the only moving part while the car is sitting still. I'm sure the pump makes SOME noise, but this seems way too loud to be normal. Everything seems to be working fine, just the noise. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? It's loud enough that I can't believe it would normally behave this way.

Todd
Yes. Just started hearing a similar sound in my 2021 M3. Sort of sounds like a person loudly sighing. I think it’s related to heat being on, because we only just noticed as weather’s gotten colder.

Having the same issue in my '21. Sitting in the car and the entire thing vibrates. I did not have this issue when I had a Model Y.

It is 100% related to the A/C and almost positive the cause is the heat pump. I have an appointment on the 15th for Tesla to diagnose.

If anyone has specific A/C settings they have found that cause the vibrations, please let me know so I can properly replicate it for them.
What did Tesla say?