Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Performance Range Change with Wheel Config

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RoBoRaT

PoPeYeD'SaiLoRDuDe
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
For 2021 Performance owners...

When you change the Wheel Configuration to change to 19” Geminis or 20” Inductions, how much (more) did the range change?

I want to see if the 303 miles range of MYP on 21” Uberturbines get better with change in wheel configuration.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info.
What I am lookinh for is any actual experience with 2021 Performance Ys.

Here is what I get on my March 2020 MYP by toggling between 20” Inductions vs 21” Überturbines:

20” Induction: 248 miles
21” Uberturbines: 228 miles

8640BBF6-7DC3-4E0E-8050-AEB0F741AE64.jpeg
B89E2298-A6FE-4F94-A877-523B228F9046.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Switching to 19" Geminis will theoretically get you identical range to a non-P LR if you don't utilize the extra power the P has. If you do use that extra power the result should be a very small decrease in range. If you have a new performance Y then you should have the new pack with 2170L cells and thus will actually have slightly more range than a standard Y.

Thanks for the info.

Here is what I get on my March 2020 MYP by toggling between 20” Inductions vs 21” Überturbines:

View attachment 621485 View attachment 621486

This behavior is (obviously) determined by Tesla. In 2020 Tesla did multiple tests at Fremont and called out three different Model Y trims (two performance trims) on fueleconomy.gov. So they provided the software selection which actually changes the underlying constant and alters your range depending on which wheels you select (it makes no difference to your range of course, since your energy is the same, assuming you don't change the wheels).

In 2021, at least so far, there are just two different trims called out, so I would not expect the GUI wheel selection to make a difference in displayed rated range. But it might: as I said, this is up to Tesla, and there's no government obligation for them to show a rated range matching the test result that Tesla did for the EPA (they could show a range of 2000 miles and it would be 100% just fine (though confusing and ill-advised!) as long as the underlying energy was correct). They just have to provide the energy stated, and make sure that your vehicle (when fairly new) can do the same on the EPA test procedures as the test article did in Tesla's test in Fremont!

As an aside, note that even if it does not change your displayed rated range, the wheel selection WILL change the Energy->Trip and Navigation estimates of your arrival charge. It changes the car's estimate of your baseline efficiency! That's exactly what you want of course. So make sure you have an appropriate wheel selected for your configuration, if you want fairly decent estimates of your arrival charge % (otherwise they'll constantly be adjusting and may be biased towards optimism or pessimism depending on the situation at hand). That's why the car puts up a warning about this when changing wheel selection.

Anyway, I agree, would be nice to see what a new 2021 Performance owner actually sees when they change the selection - does the displayed rated range (and the constant) change? (I don't expect so, because as @LargeHamCollider says, that would necessitate showing a slightly higher displayed rated range than the standard LR AWD (about 328 rated miles, it appears), and can't see Tesla doing that in this tricky time when they're populating different trim lines with different density batteries.)
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 1.07.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 1.08.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

View attachment 621485 View attachment 621486

There are hundreds of 2021 Performance Model Ys delivered by now.

Can someone with 2021 MYP toggle/change your WHEEL CONFIGURATION to 19 Geminis or 20 Inductions
and note the difference in displayed Rated Range?

Please. Thanks! :)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
There are hundreds of 2021 Performance Model Ys delivered by now.

Can someone with 2021 MYP toggle/change your WHEEL CONFIGURATION to 19 Geminis or 20 Inductions
and note the difference in displayed Rated Range?

Please. Thanks! :)

Any day now I should have my MYP... It's bought and paid for on Dec. 22, just waiting for the barge to get it to me. Tesla said it's been taking along time for vehicles to get from Seattle to Alaska - and its been over a month now. Once i get it I'll check. Especially since I will be putting smaller rims on for winter tires.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Any day now I should have my MYP... It's bought and paid for on Dec. 22, just waiting for the barge to get it to me. Tesla said it's been taking along time for vehicles to get from Seattle to Alaska - and its been over a month now. Once i get it I'll check. Especially since I will be putting smaller rims on for winter tires.
Thanks in advance. And Congrats on the new MYP!

Reactions: Daks
82976274-E120-4E01-9B38-74ACCDA0B8B7.jpeg
well, I just changed mine to 19s since I put 18s on and there is no "18" option. So far, I haven't noticed a difference, but I only have about 20 miles of driving with the setting changed....
Cool. Thanks.

Since your MYP is new, changing the Wheel Config (not even changing actual wheels/tires) will show a change in displayed Rated Range.

I am interested in how much this displayed Rated Range is because I am trying to see how much range loss is due to the staggered 21” Überturbines set up.

New P is ~303 miles with 21” Überturbines.

What is displayed on your P with 19s, if you drag the charge limit in the app?
82976274-E120-4E01-9B38-74ACCDA0B8B7.jpeg

View attachment 635011
Cool. Thanks.

Since your MYP is new, changing the Wheel Config (not even changing actual wheels/tires) will show a change in displayed Rated Range.

I am interested in how much this displayed Rated Range is because I am trying to see how much range loss is due to the staggered 21” Überturbines set up.

New P is ~303 miles with 21” Überturbines.

What is displayed on your P with 19s, if you drag the charge limit in the app?
View attachment 635011
MYP here, changed to 20" with the same specs as the Inductions. After changing the wheel configuration in the vehicle, I'm showing about 297mi range when the charge limit in set to 100% in the app. So seems to be the same.

I'm using a ton of wh/mi in the cold and a non-working heat pump, so I can't tell you much a this point other than my average wh/mi with 18s is over 600 - with some trips being over 800 when it's sub zero out.

That is nuts. I hope they fix or replace your heat pump. That much consumption must be bad for the battery, coz that is like flooring the MYP in a sustained time...every time you drive.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I got the heat pump sensors replaced and a special firmware update. Latest trip, same roads is down to roughly 450 wh/mi. BUT it's a tad warmer out with temps in the upper 20s. (above zero) Heat is working - although regen ability is different. I preheated the cabin before I left and I had almost full regen (just 3 dots) but I quickly lost it all - literally - then it all of a sudden came back and then I lost it. It did this back and forth until I parked, plugged into a 7KW charger and the car got nice and toasty. It actually was adding 0 miles per hour for about 10 minutes. Then on the way back home I had almost full regen the entire way. Maybe this is what normal is...

I got the heat pump sensors replaced and a special firmware update. Latest trip, same roads is down to roughly 450 wh/mi. BUT it's a tad warmer out with temps in the upper 20s. (above zero) Heat is working - although regen ability is different. I preheated the cabin before I left and I had almost full regen (just 3 dots) but I quickly lost it all - literally - then it all of a sudden came back and then I lost it. It did this back and forth until I parked, plugged into a 7KW charger and the car got nice and toasty. It actually was adding 0 miles per hour for about 10 minutes. Then on the way back home I had almost full regen the entire way. Maybe this is what normal is...

That's an improvement. I can't relate since the lowest it has gotten here is low 40F while I drive in the morning.