Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over in California, the next ship that was supposed to call at Pier 80, DREAM BEAUTY, is now heading direct to S Korea and is no longer going to call.
The question I have asked the locals over there is whether another ship is to replace it or what?
Hopefully I will get an answer tomorrow...

I'm still waiting for the name of the next ship to call at Pier 80 but I have had it confirmed that VIOLET ACE is not it.
I am aware of other sites / threads that have jumped onto the Tesla shipping tagline but just naming ships without any evidence is not what, in my humble opinion, Tesla buyers want. The vacuum of information from Tesla is being filled with noise. So just because a ship is named elsewhere as a "Tesla ship" please take that with a pinch of salt. I have established reliable sources in California but I have not yet succeeded in getting good quality shipping information from Shanghai but crucially, I don't believe anyone else has either.

Anyway, the next ship at Pier 80 might be RCC TIANJIN or COSCO TENGFEI. My source will aim to confirm which when he returns to work. I will go with the former but it's interesting he named the COSCO TENGFEI because it's running about 10 days behind the RCC TIANJIN and so could be a 3rd ship into Pier 80.
We shall see...

Last edited:
The apparent flurry of continental VIN allocations would seem to indicate that we have a ship on the way. ASIAN TRUST is on my watch list since she has just left Shanghai and is heading in the right direction, to Singapore initially. I have also yet to find her itinerary, so she may be a charter....
I'm still a little surprised at THEMIS since she wasn't scheduled to head for S Korea originally. Her latest itinerary has her routing to Masan S Korea then to Piraeus and then to Zeebrugge arriving there on 15 Nov. Looking at her loading time in Shanghai and the timings of her scheduled stops, it appears that the bulk of her cargo onboard is routing from Shanghai to Zeebrugge. She is not a Tesla charter but I wouldn't be surprised if she is carrying several decks full of Teslas. We had a ship last quarter with Teslas onboard that routed via South Korea and so THEMIS is now a prime suspect until I hear otherwise.

UPDATE: Almost as soon as I had posted this, I found the itinerary for ASIAN TRUST which I had misfiled. Suffice to say, she is now off the watch list.

Last edited:
Hi All,
First post however have been a reader for awhile,

M3LR ordered on July, missed the Q3 UK deliveries due to paperwork issue with lessor (DVLA delays in validating a foreign drivers license), and now awaiting delivery hopefully in Q4.

Just been on the chat with Tesla and they told me the following:

"I can see that a VIN has been provisionally allocated to your order. You will receive confirmation via SMS next week. Unfortunately, it's still too early to estimate your delivery date, as the vessel has just departed Shanghai"

I did asked for a vessel name but i was told that the information was not available...

Hope it helps.

The vacuum of information from Tesla is being filled with noise. So just because a ship is named elsewhere as a "Tesla ship" please take that with a pinch of salt. I have established reliable sources in California but I have not yet succeeded in getting good quality shipping information from Shanghai but crucially, I don't believe anyone else has either.
Some of that noise I think comes from a hypothesis I've read in a few places that VINs start getting assigned when Tesla laden carriers are in the Red Sea/Suez area. That has some valid logic to it if there's a concern of an "accident" occuring with the vessel up to that point. We also have the ARABIAN SEA and DON PASQUALE going to Koper and Southampton respectively, which also kind of fits, but that's admittedly "thin" circumstantial evidence (fish stock rather than bouillabaisse ;) ).
One test that could help is that if those two vessels dock and people who have been allocated VINs in the last day or two, also then start getting cars delivered shortly afterwards, it would indicate more strongly the vessels involved and an area we could focus on as well as the Shanghai port departures. As you rightly point out its almost impossible to get reliable information from behind the great firewall and its risk laden to try, so inference to fill in data gaps will have to do until a reliable source appears (plus it's fun) :)

Some of that noise I think comes from a hypothesis I've read in a few places that VINs start getting assigned when Tesla laden carriers are in the Red Sea/Suez area. That has some valid logic to it if there's a concern of an "accident" occuring with the vessel up to that point. We also have the ARABIAN SEA and DON PASQUALE going to Koper and Southampton respectively, which also kind of fits, but that's admittedly "thin" circumstantial evidence (fish stock rather than bouillabaisse ;) ).
One test that could help is that if those two vessels dock and people who have been allocated VINs in the last day or two, also then start getting cars delivered shortly afterwards, it would indicate more strongly the vessels involved and an area we could focus on as well as the Shanghai port departures. As you rightly point out its almost impossible to get reliable information from behind the great firewall and its risk laden to try, so inference to fill in data gaps will have to do until a reliable source appears (plus it's fun) :)
I would rule out DON PASQUALE as a possible for UK deliveries for the simple reason that she is docking in the Eastern Docks in Southampton.

Reactions: Washout
Some of that noise I think comes from a hypothesis I've read in a few places that VINs start getting assigned when Tesla laden carriers are in the Red Sea/Suez area.
I don't believe there is a set way this happens.

Certainly in Q3 we saw some allocations in source code that matched a vessel shortly after leaving Shanghai followed up by text messages a day or two afterwards, when it is was somewhere between Taiwan and Vietnam.

Reactions: Washout
Spoke with Tesla this morning to see if my RN (ordered towards the end of August) had been assigned a VIN number yet and was advised that they have had a slight delay with the ships. So they are expecting it to be assigned closer to the end of October and a late November delivery. At this point, it feels like I'm never going to get this car 😆
That's disappointing but then I saw "ships". I had assumed we were only talking about a ship but perhaps Mr Helpful could enlighten us as to how many ships Tesla use in each quarter ;) Am I right in thinking VINs aren't assigned until the ship is at sea ?

That's disappointing but then I saw "ships". I had assumed we were only talking about a ship but perhaps Mr Helpful could enlighten us as to how many ships Tesla use in each quarter ;) Am I right in thinking VINs aren't assigned until the ship is at sea ?
Mr Helpful isn't available at the moment.
Here is a link to a spreadsheet that can give you an idea of the scale of the operation.
Since Tesla sales are increasing each quarter it's difficult to put a number on the exact number of ships but for Q4 I would expect 3 possibly 4 shipments to the UK, with the 1st deliveries in Mid November.

Of course the hurricane / typhoon system is not yet over and the western Pacific has two named storms KOMPASU and NANDO (which it could be argued are actually just one big storm) which will affect shipping in the South China Sea over the coming days. The Straits of Taiwan could turn nasty as air and water are funnelled through them to feed the storms early next week. I'm pretty sure the tiedown lashings will be checked and double checked before any vehicle carrier enters the area.

There are actually several ships on their way to Europe or Suez ....
  1. GARNET LEADER → Abf. SHG 11.09. -→ Zeebrugge 12.10.
  2. ARABIAN SEA → Abf. SHG 19.09. -→ Koper 15.10.
  3. GRAND ORION → Abf. SHG 04.10. -→ Singapore 11.10.
  4. VIRGO LEADER → Abf. SHG 04.10. -→ Singapore 13.10.
  5. ATHENS HIGHWAY → Abf. SHG 06.10. -→ Singapore 13.10.
  6. ASIAN TRUST → Abf. SHG 09.10. -→ Singapore 14.10.
Further more are ... TALIA, PLEIADES SPIRIT & PROGRESS ACE ... all left Shanghai in September and heading towards Suez ...

Hopefully they will all have Teslas on board :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr Miserable
There are actually several ships on their way to Europe or Suez ....
  1. GARNET LEADER → Abf. SHG 11.09. -→ Zeebrugge 12.10.
  2. ARABIAN SEA → Abf. SHG 19.09. -→ Koper 15.10.
  3. GRAND ORION → Abf. SHG 04.10. -→ Singapore 11.10.
  4. VIRGO LEADER → Abf. SHG 04.10. -→ Singapore 13.10.
  5. ATHENS HIGHWAY → Abf. SHG 06.10. -→ Singapore 13.10.
  6. ASIAN TRUST → Abf. SHG 09.10. -→ Singapore 14.10.
Further more are ... TALIA, PLEIADES SPIRIT & PROGRESS ACE ... all left Shanghai in September and heading towards Suez ...

Hopefully they will all have Teslas on board :)
ASIAN TRUST isn't going to Europe or even through Suez, TALIA left Shanghai on 2 Oct, there is little to no chance of ATHENS HIGHWAY carrying Teslas, I could go on...
Your post is not helpful.
Ships call at Shanghai to deliver RoRo cargo to Shanghai as well as pick up RoRo cargo.
RoRo cargo includes earth moving equipment, farm machinery, helicopters, boats, buses, trucks, wind turbines and anything else that can be loaded on to a wheeled pallet
Tesla is not the only car manufacturer with a plant in China and very few of the ships that depart Shanghai will actually have Teslas onboard.

As I said in my post about 12 posts above, listing every ship with no supporting evidence is helpful to no-one - it's just noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.