Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to weigh in 😉 on the sensitivity of the seat occupancy sensor. I'll just offer a small point regarding the pet-warmer application:

Starting this past fall I semi-adopted a stray cat that was hanging out around my property, and was injured in some kind of altercation, probably with a bobcat or coyote. He's not tame enough to approach me or come inside, but he gladly takes the food and drink, and the nights get somewhat cold in the winter. So I put out a couple of heating pads for him to sleep on.

When I was researching the products to buy, I noted that multiple sources said that warming pads for pets need to be milder then what humans tend to like. The implication is that it's very easy to overheat your pet with a warmer designed for humans. I'm not saying it's dangerous, but maybe more uncomfortable than you'd think.

So just a thought, you might want to ensure that your puppy's seat warmer is on on the lowest setting, and perhaps consider a folded blanket or something like that to keep it cozy but not too hot.

I hope you're also taking measures to mitigate what could happen to your puppy if she gets thrown forward in a hard-braking or collision event. But that's an obvious issue; the pet heating-pad issue is one that I hadn't known about until recently.
Thanks for pointing that out. But yes, it's on low and she has a towel beneath her.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Passenger heated seat is there on the far right - you just need to make sure that “split” is enabled in the HVAC controls.
… and have someone in both driver and passenger seats. Oh, oh, why making something inherently so simple so weirdly complex while reducing optionality at the same time?! I can come up with only two hypothesis: Totally inept designers or coders that have to deal with horrifically bad code, with so many dependencies that they could not implement good design.

I don't have the update yet, may I ask a question?

So let's say I have no needs for seat heaters, but I can't put the wipers + front defrost button on where the seat heaters are? Those two spots are reserved for seat heaters only?

I am aware that I can put wipers and defost in the normal dock.

I was being facetious :) But there’s a bug in the previous version that causes tailgates to stop half way sometimes. Confirmed by SC.
I thought that was a feature. :) After my 2022.8.3 update it seems to see when I'm parked really close to the wall and stops half way. When I pull forward it completely opens. Maybe it was all in my head.

… and have someone in both driver and passenger seats. Oh, oh, why making something inherently so simple so weirdly complex while reducing optionality at the same time?! I can come up with only two hypothesis: Totally inept designers or coders that have to deal with horrifically bad code, with so many dependencies that they could not implement good design.
You can turn the passenger seat heater / cooler on whenever you like regardless of occupants using the mobile app. So if you really need the passenger seat warm before someone uses it, try that.

So let's say I have no needs for seat heaters, but I can't put the wipers + front defrost button on where the seat heaters are? Those two spots are reserved for seat heaters only?

No you cannot use the seat heater space for anything else.

You can turn the passenger seat heater / cooler on whenever you like regardless of occupants using the mobile app. So if you really need the passenger seat warm before someone uses it, try that.

No you cannot use the seat heater space for anything else.
How about the scenario when a passenger is waiting for me in the car? In “normal” cars they could just press the conveniently placed, visible button and be done with it.

At some point in my life I had to deal with avionics. It is a very good example of how to design UI because if something does not work people can literally die. They had some very basic principles for evaluating the design:
- Things are positioned based on importance and usage frequency, in that order. They follow “Aviate, Navigate, Communicate” in terms of priority. Translated to cars that would probably mean “Drive, Navigate, Entertain”. Please do not bring FSD. Airplanes had autopilots long time before cars, the environment is much simpler than streets/highways and still the ability of a person to pilot the thing is put above the automation.
- No surprises. Pilots go through training for every new model but the basic controls are easily identified and if you flew a Cessna you could find your way around A380. Also, it is clear what something does. Lowering the landing gear will do just that; it will not extend the flaps thinking that you would do that anyway.
- Things do only what they are supposed to do, there is a clear indication whether they are on or off and when you disengage something you go back to the previous state. That would mean that when I turn on the defroster the car should figure out what it needs to do to defrost the windshield not expecting me to turn on the HVAC. When the icon is red I expect the defroster to be defrosting. When I turn off the defroster I expect the car to go back to the previous state, not to leave the HVAC on if it was off before I started the defroster. I should be able to clearly identify if something is on or off, not digging in menus to find out if the seat warmers are on.
Those principles, albeit simple, are very powerful. Don’t tell me that if I don’t like it I should sell it. Buying a $100k+ car is not like buying an iPhone; it is a much more serious transaction and I am appalled that people do not see it that way. And it is not an “iPad on wheels” - iPad has much more intuitive and logical interface.
I went out on my bike this morning and realized how well thought out the interface on a motorcycle is compared to the Tesla. Everything is super intuitive, takes a glance to find out if something is on or off, and super easy to operate. May be because they never monkeyed with FSD…

At some point in my life I had to deal with avionics. It is a very good example of how to design UI because if something does not work people can literally die. They had some very basic principles for evaluating the design:
- Things are positioned based on importance and usage frequency, in that order. They follow “Aviate, Navigate, Communicate” in terms of priority. Translated to cars that would probably mean “Drive, Navigate, Entertain”. Please do not bring FSD. Airplanes had autopilots long time before cars, the environment is much simpler than streets/highways and still the ability of a person to pilot the thing is put above the automation.
- No surprises. Pilots go through training for every new model but the basic controls are easily identified and if you flew a Cessna you could find your way around A380. Also, it is clear what something does. Lowering the landing gear will do just that; it will not extend the flaps thinking that you would do that anyway.
- Things do only what they are supposed to do, there is a clear indication whether they are on or off and when you disengage something you go back to the previous state. That would mean that when I turn on the defroster the car should figure out what it needs to do to defrost the windshield not expecting me to turn on the HVAC. When the icon is red I expect the defroster to be defrosting. When I turn off the defroster I expect the car to go back to the previous state, not to leave the HVAC on if it was off before I started the defroster. I should be able to clearly identify if something is on or off, not digging in menus to find out if the seat warmers are on.
Those principles, albeit simple, are very powerful. Don’t tell me that if I don’t like it I should sell it. Buying a $100k+ car is not like buying an iPhone; it is a much more serious transaction and I am appalled that people do not see it that way. And it is not an “iPad on wheels” - iPad has much more intuitive and logical interface.
I went out on my bike this morning and realized how well thought out the interface on a motorcycle is compared to the Tesla. Everything is super intuitive, takes a glance to find out if something is on or off, and super easy to operate. May be because they never monkeyed with FSD…

It's been clear to me for years that the Tesla devs do not care about this one iota. All they care about is being more clever than everyone else, at the severe detriment of actually driving a car. It's the highest form of arrogance I've ever seen.

It's been clear to me for years that the Tesla devs do not care about this one iota. All they care about is being more clever than everyone else, at the severe detriment of actually driving a car. It's the highest form of arrogance I've ever seen.
There is an argument that with the FSD people will not need to drive anymore so the dev resources are focused on the entertainment aspect of the UI. Well, not only the driving side but also the entertainment side sucks. Hell, the open source, free Gnome has better UI with the ability to configure the launch pad and stack icons as you see fit. Let alone purposely entertainment OSes like OSMC and Kodi that even allow skinning.
Using the same code base for car and entertainment is a very, very bad idea whichever way you look at it. They have to control the entertainment stack because of the driving stack (security, availability) which will not allow them to have a rich ecosystem like iOS or Android. See how long it takes them to add just one entertainment source.
The whole UI strategy is a one hot mess.

There is an argument that with the FSD people will not need to drive anymore so the dev resources are focused on the entertainment aspect of the UI. Well, not only the driving side but also the entertainment side sucks. Hell, the open source, free Gnome has better UI with the ability to configure the launch pad and stack icons as you see fit. Let alone purposely entertainment OSes like OSMC and Kodi that even allow skinning.
Using the same code base for car and entertainment is a very, very bad idea whichever way you look at it. They have to control the entertainment stack because of the driving stack (security, availability) which will not allow them to have a rich ecosystem like iOS or Android. See how long it takes them to add just one entertainment source.
The whole UI strategy is a one hot mess.
If Tesla ever goes full fsd then I won't buy them. I love driving. If a car isn't fun and good to drive yourself then it's just a bus and not worth the price.

If Tesla ever goes full fsd then I won't buy them. I love driving. If a car isn't fun and good to drive yourself then it's just a bus and not worth the price.
I am sure that very small percentage of customers are buying the car because of the FSD; while the vast majority are buying it because it is a great EV. That is why I am puzzled by all the FSD hoopla. It is clearly negatively affecting the EV. They should split them - it will be better for both.

Then swipe up on the temperature and the. On the seat heaters! If that’s a serious complaint, you’re ridiculous. It doesn’t need to be on the main screen if there is no one in the seat.
Oddly, one can turn the seat heaters on with the app. I do that on cooler nights before I use the reclined MY passenger seat as my music garage sanctuary to rock out.

But I'm still on 8.3 and hesitate to update. This and similar threads are the canaries in the coal mine. 😁