Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.24.6 and Spotify on standard connectivity in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a M3P 2020 (pre heat pump) in the UK since April 2020. I used Spotify in the car until my Premium connectivity trial expired, then switched to using an in car hotspot from my phone. This let me continue using Spotify just fine when the WiFi was connected.

I've just installed the 2022.24.6 update and perhaps foolishly switched to using the online profile instead of the old local profile, and Spotify now seems to require an account - there's no option to use the Tesla account like there used to be.

I mean it's perfectly reasonable to have to pay for this but it's a bit frustrating given its been free until now. Is this just me? Was I just lucky to be able to use Spotify with standard connectivity before or is this a common situation?

There's talk of spotify misbehaving on the 2022.24 thread:
Also this thread suggests a reboot might be able to fix your issue:

Unfortunately a reboot didn't help in my case. Here's the Spotify screen:

PXL_20220911_172755523.jpg

Hopefully it's a bug that will be fixed, and not a policy change on Tesla's part.

I've had a M3P 2020 (pre heat pump) in the UK since April 2020. I used Spotify in the car until my Premium connectivity trial expired, then switched to using an in car hotspot from my phone. This let me continue using Spotify just fine when the WiFi was connected.

Spotify now seems to require an account - there's no option to use the Tesla account like there used to be.

I have a M3LR same-era and I have been doing the same hot spotting to use Spotify since premium connectivity expired. Worked fine this morning on the way to work. On the way home however, I got this screen

C2D9FA7C-9ABD-4B1B-8591-65DC60B05509.jpeg

If I click Use Vehicle Account I get the message “Premium Connectivity required” at the top.

Anyone else see this behaviour? Surely this is a change in policy from Tesla?

I must admit I like the idea of OTA upgrades but OTA downgrades really sucks.

Reactions: Smileysam
I have a M3LR same-era and I have been doing the same hot spotting to use Spotify since premium connectivity expired. Worked fine this morning on the way to work. On the way home however, I got this screen

View attachment 862751

If I click Use Vehicle Account I get the message “Premium Connectivity required” at the top.

Anyone else see this behaviour? Surely this is a change in policy from Tesla?

I must admit I like the idea of OTA upgrades but OTA downgrades really sucks.
Looks like it went in 2022.24 (at least according to tesla-info)

1267433A-3835-426B-9455-6C7933DF49E1.jpeg

I get the option to sign in to Spotify using the Tesla account on 2022.24, but it just says that the username / password isn't recognised. I spoke to Tesla Leeds and they said that Premium Connectivity doesn't include free Spotify streaming unless you have your own account, and apparently hasn't for some time.

I'm puzzled as to why people think hotspotting their phone to the car should mean they get use of a Spotify account, for free?

Obviously that was never intended.

That being said...
I get the option to sign in to Spotify using the Tesla account on 2022.24, but it just says that the username / password isn't recognised. I spoke to Tesla Leeds and they said that Premium Connectivity doesn't include free Spotify streaming unless you have your own account, and apparently hasn't for some time.
I think that's wrong. Premium Connectivity should give you access to the "Vehicle Account", as pictured above.

Reactions: Matt125
I'm puzzled as to why people think hotspotting their phone to the car should mean they get use of a Spotify account, for free?

Obviously that was never intended.

That being said...

I think that's wrong. Premium Connectivity should give you access to the "Vehicle Account", as pictured above.
I have premium connectivity and use the Tesla inbuilt Spotify all the time. I don’t have an account of my own. Never been asked for a password.

Reactions: Durzel and init6
My use of car Spotify account with standard connectivity and hotspot seems blocked after updating to 2022.36.2. Pretty annoying downgrade.

The premium connectivity page has a footnote saying 'features subject to change' so presumably Tesla feel covered to move any feature to premium connectivity on a whim or even create a new more expensive tier and move features to that. Sucks when they actually do it though.

No offence, but why do you feel entitled to the use of a Spotify account just from hotspotting your phone to the car, when everyone else has to actually pay for a Spotify account separately?

People on leases had free Premium Connectivity for months (years?) before they finally addressed it. This is no different. You had the benefit of something you weren't entitled to for however many months, and that loophole has now been closed. It was good while it lasted but that's as far as it goes really.

It would be nice if they allowed us to stream the Free Spotify version (One with adverts) while using hotspot.

Sonos now allow it (Since 2019), as before you couldn't use Spotify without a paid subscription.

Just waiting for the next update. Not able to drive car without Premium subscription!

Entitled? That's putting it a bit strongly.

Quite a few features are included without extra charge in the large up front purchase price of the car. Some obvious examples: standard connectivity and Google map data. I very much feel 'entitled' to use them as they were used to promote the car to me. Using Spotify with tethering in this way was an included feature which has now been removed though it wasn't explicitly advertised.

We could debate whether Tesla intended that feature or whether it was a loophole. Given the extreme attention to detail in the software it seems very unlikely to me that Tesla totally failed to notice this way of using Spotify and it's more likely a cost saving change.