Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.4.5.17 Recommends 100% Daily Charge for LFP Battery Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only use 10-15% daily for commuting to work. Should I keep it less than 80??
I keep mine at 60% most of the time.
Just as an example to help some people out. I charge daily to 60% and I typically use 10% to 20% daily. Therefore the battery gets to float around the Neutral 50% range.
Yep, same. For any given trip, I try to make it where the battery averages close to 50%. If I expect to use 30%, I'll charge to 65% and return with 35%. If I expect to use 50%, I'll charge to 75% and return with 25%. Etc. If I expect to return with less than 10% while averaging 50% during the trip, then I'll push it all the way to 100% and set the scheduled departure for 1 hour before I expect to depart (the number of trips that require this per year I can count on one hand).

Reactions: samsimg
Not that Tesla can't make a big mistake like that...but you're assuming the OP has a MY becuase they posed in a MY forum. Nobody asked what car/model they have. It's possible, but I'd bet the OP has a M3SR LFP.

Well... I suppose you could be correct, but not only did the OP post in a model Y subforum, their signature says they have a "2022 MYP", so it is not a stretch to assume they have a model Y, from those two pieces of information:

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.28.28 PM.png

Loaded 2022.4.5 17 to my 2021 MY with Non LFP battery and release note only says can enable interior cabin in case of crash. Also the charge slider still shows “Daily” charge to 90% so no different. I keep me charge limit at 70% unless going on a trip.

Well... I suppose you could be correct, but not only did the OP post in a model Y subforum, their signature says they have a "2022 MYP", so it is not a stretch to assume they have a model Y, from those two pieces of information:

View attachment 783577
Yup, I missed that in the sig. Good catch. I wouldn't have guessed that if I saw that in the sig.

I agree it's probably safe to assume the OP has a MY. What's not safe to assume is everything else. Where did the OP see this in the release notes? In the car? On the web? What did it actually look like and say? The copy/paste job they did was from the web...not the car and didn't include the the 3 and LFP badge.

Main point I responding to was @Ridgeline "it bothers me that Tesla made a mistake by issuing a software upgrade for LFP batteries to non LFP battery cars and then stating to charge to 100 % all the time."...which also seemed to the the sentiment of several others in the thread.

If the release notes in the car (of the MY) say this without mentioning it's for the 3/LFP only...then yes it's really bad. But otherwise this entire thread is about the OP not reading release notes such as-> 2022.4.5.17 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates correctly and others assuming the situation is as I described above...when it's not the case.

The evidence produced so far does not warrant coming to the conclusion that Tesla botched a software rollout. It's more likely misunderstanding combined with assumptions/miscommunication.

Yup, I missed that in the sig. Good catch. I wouldn't have guessed that if I saw that in the sig.

I agree it's probably safe to assume the OP has a MY. What's not safe to assume is everything else. Where did the OP see this in the release notes? In the car? On the web? What did it actually look like and say? The copy/paste job they did was from the web...not the car and didn't include the the 3 and LFP badge.

Main point I responding to was @Ridgeline "it bothers me that Tesla made a mistake by issuing a software upgrade for LFP batteries to non LFP battery cars and then stating to charge to 100 % all the time."...which also seemed to the the sentiment of several others in the thread.

If the release notes in the car (of the MY) say this without mentioning it's for the 3/LFP only...then yes it's really bad. But otherwise this entire thread is about the OP not reading release notes such as-> 2022.4.5.17 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates correctly and others assuming the situation is as I described above...when it's not the case.

The evidence produced so far does not warrant coming to the conclusion that Tesla botched a software rollout. It's more likely misunderstanding combined with assumptions/miscommunication.

You are absolutely right, we dont know where the OP read the release notes. Nor has anyone else who got this update on a model Y stated whether they saw this obviously "LFP battery" message in their model Y.

Anyone who got this update see this update about charging in the car, and not on just on the web?

You are absolutely right, we dont know where the OP read the release notes. Nor has anyone else who got this update on a model Y stated whether they saw this obviously "LFP battery" message in their model Y.

Anyone who got this update see this update about charging in the car, and not on just on the web?
I have 2022.4.5.17 on my 21’ MYLR and it does not show any notes about charging/battery.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
@jmatero

Please come back to this thread and tell us specifically if you saw these release notes IN THE CAR, which is a model Y, AND that those release notes in the car specifically said (on your car screen in the car) the message that obviously pertains to LFP batteries.

Otherwise, there is quite a bit of mis direction in this thread and I am likely to ask for a mod in this subforum to lock it, and will post a moderator note to that effect.

Thanks

Reactions: cgell
I received my Model 3 LR recently for my wife and I'm waiting for my Model Y. My wife's daily driving is approximately 10-15 mile everyday (Thanks to her workplace being close to home). Is it okay to keep the charge setting to 70%? Do I need to charge everyday to keep it 70%?

I received my Model 3 LR recently for my wife and I'm waiting for my Model Y. My wife's daily driving is approximately 10-15 mile everyday (Thanks to her workplace being close to home). Is it okay to keep the charge setting to 70%? Do I need to charge everyday to keep it 70%?
Charging to 70% is fine. Tesla recommends keeping the Tesla Model Y vehicle plugged in so if it is possible, not inconvenient then plug in each evening (once a day.) You could even charge the Model 3 and Model Y on alternate days if that meets your needs. Nothing bad will happen in a day (or a week) if you don't plug in each evening. Sentry mode will cause the Tesla vehicle to remain powered on, use 6% additional battery per 24 hours so you have to decide if it is worth it to keep Sentry mode active when the Tesla vehicle is parked at your home. If inside a garage at home then I would suggest setting Sentry mode to be off at your home location (as set in the Navigation system,)

Charging to 70% is fine. Tesla recommends keeping the Tesla Model Y vehicle plugged in so if it is possible, not inconvenient then plug in each evening (once a day.) You could even charge the Model 3 and Model Y on alternate days if that meets your needs. Nothing bad will happen in a day (or a week) if you don't plug in each evening. Sentry mode will cause the Tesla vehicle to remain powered on, use 6% additional battery per 24 hours so you have to decide if it is worth it to keep Sentry mode active when the Tesla vehicle is parked at your home. If inside a garage at home then I would suggest setting Sentry mode to be off at your home location (as set in the Navigation system,)
Thank You very much for answering both of my questions !! I kept sentry mode off at home.

2021 Model 3 LR, built May 2021.

Got the update 2022.4.5.17 last night. Jumped in the car to go to work this morning & the notes came on. I went through them quickly because I was headed to work.
I saw the note about charging calibration and charging to 100% daily as described in this thread (including a referral to owners manual).
I don't recall seeing anything about battery type, and I don't recall Tesla ever informing me what battery type my car has.
Also scrolled thru notes on Colorizer, Dashcam, and Cabin Camera.
Ended with a click to okay sharing Cabin Camera data.

So, at least to me, the message on the charging was certainly not crystal clear. Haven't checked the owners manual yet, will do tomorrow.

2021 Model 3 LR, built May 2021.

Got the update 2022.4.5.17 last night. Jumped in the car to go to work this morning & the notes came on. I went through them quickly because I was headed to work.
I saw the note about charging calibration and charging to 100% daily as described in this thread (including a referral to owners manual).
I don't recall seeing anything about battery type, and I don't recall Tesla ever informing me what battery type my car has.
Also scrolled thru notes on Colorizer, Dashcam, and Cabin Camera.
Ended with a click to okay sharing Cabin Camera data.

So, at least to me, the message on the charging was certainly not crystal clear. Haven't checked the owners manual yet, will do tomorrow.
My 2021 M3LR was built in June 2021. The owners manual says "Liquid-cooled lithium ion (Li-ion)" battery. Does that mean it is not an LFP battery?

Edit: Just checked. Just installed 2022.4.5.17 and the release notes make no mention of 100% charging. So I guess the car does not have LFP battery

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
My 2021 M3LR was built in June 2021. The owners manual says "Liquid-cooled lithium ion (Li-ion)" battery. Does that mean it is not an LFP battery?

Edit: Just checked. Just installed 2022.4.5.17 and the release notes make no mention of 100% charging. So I guess the car does not have LFP battery
Only the RWD M3 is LFP. Since you have a LR you don’t have LFP.

No. LFP is an abbreviation of Lithium Iron Phospate. This type of Lithium battery does not contain Nickel or Cobalt in the cathode.