Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MODEL S PLAID - Cosmetic disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These alignment issues will not have any noticeable impact on range. You have a new car and its incredibly fast, don't compare consumption until you drive it like your previous one. Get the panel gaps checked by your SeC, don’t take the within spec bull, especially not the charge port and top right trunk alignment, that looks close to scraping and while they are at it they can also get it centered. The right door should be an easy fix for them. Now stop obsessing and start enjoying.
Already doing accordingly, exactly I will do. Enjoying:)_:)

These alignment issues will not have any noticeable impact on range. You have a new car and its incredibly fast, don't compare consumption until you drive it like your previous one. Get the panel gaps checked by your SeC, don’t take the within spec bull, especially not the charge port and top right trunk alignment, that looks close to scraping and while they are at it they can also get it centered. The right door should be an easy fix for them. Now stop obsessing and start enjoying.
My exterior alignments/gaps are good, even the typically bad ones on the rear doors. I made several visits to a new store and let my expectations be known MONTHS prior to delivery.

However, I was not expecting them to fix by taking a steel hammer to the door hinges! I did some touch up, and it looks better now.

Most everything else wrong I had to fix myself.

Just glad I dont have the dreaded vibration...yet

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
By the way it is a pic of the charge port right? I think I read here on the forum someone else had the same issue and think they had to replace it.

The publicly available Service Manual tells you how to replace/adjust the charge port door, and gives a spec for the front gap and step. No spec for the back.

It is quite a job, and expect part damage if you let Tesla do it.

I am getting 245 wh/mi, in a 1000 miles of gentle mixed driving, pretty happy with that.

Just because the refresh MS has a much ballyhooed low drag coefficient, does NOT mean lower aero drag than say a M3. It is a bigger car with a larger reference area.

Reactions: Dannietjoh
My exterior alignments/gaps are good, even the typically bad ones on the rear doors. I made several visits to a new store and let my expectations be known MONTHS prior to delivery.

However, I was not expecting them to fix by taking a steel hammer to the door hinges! I did some touch up, and it looks better now.

Most everything else wrong I had to fix myself.

Just glad I dont have the dreaded vibration...yet
My repair and alignment was WELL made last week, at least it's parallel now, so the neighbors do not wrinkle their nose so high longer:)_:)

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_131405.jpg
    IMG_20230114_131405.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20230114_110239.jpg
    IMG_20230114_110239.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20230114_110250.jpg
    IMG_20230114_110250.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230114_110210.jpg
    IMG_20230114_110210.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230114_110203.jpg
    IMG_20230114_110203.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230114_131519.jpg
    IMG_20230114_131519.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 76
Charge port is fine, just looks strange from angle operation, but works well, no problem

The charge port door assy has 3 adjustments built in, but you have to remove and reinstall the charge port and half of the rear interior. I would not recommend.

You can shim the door corners up with foam tape opposite the door bumpers, prototype shown below:

Attachments

• 16739763749998917557651052199399.jpg
    16739763749998917557651052199399.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 77
Now after an while, I noticed: With this new plaid, registration 30.12, the right front door and the left rear seat door are so poorly insulated and sealed that there is a real flow of cold air. I have concerns about whether I should have cavity preservation done, because the air inlet is the same as moisture, rust or rust is that exaggerated....
Has somebody an idea, to solve this crazy issue?

((, now I started to take a thick blanket with me to keep out the ddraught))

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
Now after an while, I noticed: With this new plaid, registration 30.12, the right front door and the left rear seat door are so poorly insulated and sealed that there is a real flow of cold air. I have concerns about whether I should have cavity preservation done, because the air inlet is the same as moisture, rust or rust is that exaggerated....
Has somebody an idea, to solve this crazy issue?

((, now I started to take a thick blanket with me to keep out the ddraught))
Seals are probably misaligned, or not properly installed. Open the doors fully, see if the seals are loose or misplaced.

Also, there is an insulating pad just forward of the front doors that may be misplaced. Open Frunk and look down opening near hinges. The black pad should be pushed aft in front of the door hinge, blocking airflow.

Reactions: ulyh
Also, there is an insulating pad just forward of the front doors that may be misplaced. Open Frunk and look down opening near hinges. The black pad should be pushed aft in front of the door hinge, blocking airflow.

These foam pads were flopping around in my fenders on both sides. I removed the fender liners and stuck them in place with dabs of silicone adhesive. You can see these foam pads @1:22 here:

I would be 80% of Model S have these flopping around. You can check by removing the frunk panels on the sides and looking down, but if you need to move them, you really need to remove the wheel and the wheel well liners.

Reactions: aerodyne
What’s interesting are the red circles. Obviously QC staff circled imperfections on the car, but then the imperfections obviously weren’t corrected.

WTF is up with that?

It’s like management decreed, “We want you to notice imperfections on cars coming out of the factory, but it’s not like we’re gonna do anything about it.”

Maybe they just count or keep track of the imperfections.

Slightly off topic, since inside your doors is not an area one would call cosmetically important, but TIL that Tesla took a hammer to my front door hinges as well as both rear doors.

Getting out the touch up paint now.

Attachments

• 16758136314223439288268602486559.jpg
    16758136314223439288268602486559.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 55