Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.2.2.1 odometer display problem, pre-Autopilot Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Merged from a different thread.

Not sure when this started, but presumably in the recent "recall" update that fixed the fonts for brakes, et al:
IMG_20240207_154704342_HDR~2.jpg

Dig that fancy right-justification!

Anybody seen this, or is it peculiar to my low-featured 2014 MS85?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dsm363
Not sure when this started, but presumably in the recent "recall" update that fixed the fonts for brakes, et al:
View attachment 1016719

Dig that fancy right-justification!

Anybody seen this, or is it peculiar to my low-featured 2014 MS85?
They ended the beta program for early cars years ago I think. They no longer felt it was worth getting feedback from early owners as most of the improvements went towards Autopilot.

Thanks for merging this, I searched “odometer” and “font size” plenty before submitting but came up with nothing.

Now yesterday, as if aggravated by my post, the “No regent braking”, “No traction control” and “No ABS” warnings are on my dash, just like they were almost exactly one year ago.

That fix was $2500 worth of water-soaked TPMS controller (and of course new sensors to go with it) because of the rainy season here in California. I barely even drive in the rain if I can help it. I’m sure it’s happening just past the 1-year warranty.

Excellent engineering!

First post. I'm the original owner of a 2013 Model S 85. I second this complaint. See attached images. The 2024.2.2.1 update, which is directed to the 'recall' for enlarging the text size of the brake/abs/park warnings, accomplished its goal of increasing the text size. But it also had the unintended effect of bumping the odometer text over to the left so that it is partially obscured by the speedometer. This is just the latest example of what I call "FSBS" (fix something break something), and I'm sick of it. The UI has gotten worse over the years, and I'll save my gripes for other posts. Anyway, I hope they fix this soon.

UPDATE: I installed 2024.2.3 today (Feb. 9) and the odometer display is still messed up. 2024.2.3 is ostensibly just for a “reminder to plug in at home”. Sigh….

Here's another strange behavior - I've noticed recently and confirmed this morning that the odometer doesn't always advance properly. This morning on the way to work it was reading 149,098 while the trip odometer ran from 1.6 to 3.5. Finally when the trip odometer got to 3.7 it jumped to 149,100.

Here's another strange behavior - I've noticed recently and confirmed this morning that the odometer doesn't always advance properly. This morning on the way to work it was reading 149,098 while the trip odometer ran from 1.6 to 3.5. Finally when the trip odometer got to 3.7 it jumped to 149,100.
I can confirm the same behavior has been happening for at least the last two updates, maybe three, in my 2013 Model S85. Mine seems to occasionally jump in 3 mile increments. The trip odometers seem to remain accurate. Also the odometer in the Tesla app is accurate even if it disagrees with what is displayed in the car.

Reactions: JLC13
I can confirm the same behavior has been happening for at least the last two updates, maybe three, in my 2013 Model S85. Mine seems to occasionally jump in 3 mile increments. The trip odometers seem to remain accurate. Also the odometer in the Tesla app is accurate even if it disagrees with what is displayed in the car.
I would agree that the trip odometer seems to keep up and had suspected that the app remained accurate. Thanks for confirming.

Odometer still skips in 2-mi or 3-mi increments. (However, the trip odometers still seem to work accurately.) Driving home this morning I noticed the odometer was at 119,999 mi and expected it to change to 120,000. Nope. It jumped from 119,999 to 120,001 (yes I was watching for it) and then only 1/4 mile later it changed to 120,002. When I parked in the garage it was at 120,003, but curiously the Tesla app on my phone said the odometer was at 119,983 even after ‘refreshing’ the app. Only after I force-closed the app and reloaded it did it report 120,003 to reconcile with the odometer in the car.

There must be a reason for this recent odometer behavior, right? Maybe reducing some amount of read/write cycles on one of the chips?

This is so strange.