Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MS - Third Brake Light Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VikH

Supporting Member
Nov 23, 2015
Midwest, USA
Anyone with a refresh S have issues with part or all of the third brake light not functioning? Looks like a hoopty.

IMG_6773.jpeg

Try a reboot. Other than that, they're going to have to remove the rear glass to replace it, unfortunately.
Reboot didn't fix it. Trying a new software update now to see if that fixes it.

It will suck if they have to replace the glass. There is a high chance they will damage something else in the process.

Happened to me a few months ago. Was replaced under warranty. They were able to salvage my rear glass which had a tint on it. Many times they choose to just install the light and new rear glass all in one go.

Thank you. Good to know. Was your third brake light out in the same way as mine? Did they replace it with an updated part or the same part?

I have tint too, so let's see what they are able to do.

Reboot didn't fix it. Trying a new software update now to see if that fixes it.

It will suck if they have to replace the glass. There is a high chance they will damage something else in the process.

Well, I guess I called it. It took the service center over a month to get the parts. They did the replacement recently and had to put new rear glass on to fix the third brake light. In the process they damaged the exterior and interior of the car and I have to get my rear glass re-tinted. They are offering to pay for everything, but it is disappointing and inconvenient to have to deal with the mess.

Just another day at Tesla Service I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Well, I guess I called it. It took the service center over a month to get the parts. They did the replacement recently and had to put new rear glass on to fix the third brake light. In the process they damaged the exterior and interior of the car and I have to get my rear glass re-tinted. They are offering to pay for everything, but it is disappointing and inconvenient to have to deal with the mess.

No amount of whataboutism of other manufacturers will stop Tesla from having the absolute worst service is the history of automobiles. They are completely incompetent and arrogant. I am going through a massive train wreck right now with my Model S.

Reactions: cwerdna and bkcyk

I’m having the same thing done Monday because they cracked the glass. Do you mind telling me what they damaged on the exterior and interior so I know what to look for when I pick my 22 msp up this week?

Reactions: VikH
I’m having the same thing done Monday because they cracked the glass. Do you mind telling me what they damaged on the exterior and interior so I know what to look for when I pick my 22 msp up this week?

On the exterior, they damaged the PPF/paint surrounding the glass. On the interior, the speaker grill in the tailgate just below the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Looks like the same thing just happened to me (or maybe it was a long time ago, I only noticed accidentally when I was checking something on my driveway security camera and noticed it, who knows how long it's been like this!). Reading the above experiences, I am keeping my figures crossed they can 1) keep the back glass since I had it tinted and 2) don't break anything else. My local service center has been pretty good with not causing damage on other service visits on my X and this S so hopefully that continues. What a pain though that something like a "simple" light can't be build to last more than 18 months without burning out/ failing.....

IMG_0835.jpeg

Looks like the same thing just happened to me (or maybe it was a long time ago, I only noticed accidentally when I was checking something on my driveway security camera and noticed it, who knows how long it's been like this!). Reading the above experiences, I am keeping my figures crossed they can 1) keep the back glass since I had it tinted and 2) don't break anything else. My local service center has been pretty good with not causing damage on other service visits on my X and this S so hopefully that continues. What a pain though that something like a "simple" light can't be build to last more than 18 months without burning out/ failing.....

Which is worse: Not being able to build an LED that lasts more than 18 months, or being dumb enough to make the replacement of an unreliable LED light require removal of a glued-in large piece of delicate glass?

Reactions: AMPd
They ended up replacing the rear windscreen as well when replacing the center brake light - they covered the cost of re-tinting the rear window, they just asked for a copy of the invoice for the tinting, although it took about 3 weeks for the check to arrive from Fremont.

They ended up replacing the rear windscreen as well when replacing the center brake light - they covered the cost of re-tinting the rear window, they just asked for a copy of the invoice for the tinting, although it took about 3 weeks for the check to arrive from Fremont.
I gotta say that's actually pretty generous. I'd never expect Tesla to cover the re-tint process. Nice that they did here.

If I had to guess, like most things service center related, it’s probably hit or miss regarding whether they’ll cover the cost to retint.

I believe you are correct. Here in Houston, I could completely imagine our Service Centers denying the replacement unless every single LED was burned out. They would almost certainly claim it is "within spec" and "functioning as intended" if even one LED was still lighting up, hoping the car would make it past the warranty before all the LED's went out. There's absolutely zero chance the crooks that run the SC's here would cover customer applied tint. Zero.