Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any indications that front bumper camera can be retrofitted later on HW4 2023 MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any indications that front bumper camera can be retrofitted later on HW4 2023 MS?

I know several people have revealed in 2021-2022 refresh MS that there are connected for ambient lightings strips in the refresh cabin. I wonder if there is a similar indication that a front camera may be retrofitted once (and if) it get introduced on HW4 cars (as seen in some M3 and CyberTruck leaked photos, though the front bumper camera was removed again now).

I know several people have revealed in 2021-2022 refresh MS that there are connected for ambient lightings strips in the refresh cabin. I wonder if there is a similar indication that a front camera may be retrofitted once (and if) it get introduced on HW4 cars (as seen in some M3 and CyberTruck leaked photos, though the front bumper camera was removed again now).
I'm going to guess precisely 0.0000% chance of this happening. You can't even have the swiveling center display retrofitted...

Reactions: teko and ucmndd
While adding the hardware may be fairly easy, getting the integrated controls, displays, and auto parking use, FSD and autopilot use would be hopeless. Tesla will not write a new branch code for your car with this special modification, and this is probably why Tesla will not be offering this retrofit. It would not be worthwhile. Trade up.

While adding the hardware may be fairly easy, getting the integrated controls, displays, and auto parking use, FSD and autopilot use would be hopeless. Tesla will not write a new branch code for your car with this special modification, and this is probably why Tesla will not be offering this retrofit. It would not be worthwhile. Trade up.
Or just do what I did and install a front camera for about $150.

Reactions: DerbyDave
How did u pass the wires all the way to the front bumper?
There are no wires. It's rechargeable. Every 2-3 months I charge it, and away I go. :)

I forgot, here's the same camera with the solar panel (that in my experience is utterly useless) - for $10 less.

Here's the thread on the install process and feedback from myself and others:

There are no wires. It's rechargeable. Every 2-3 months I charge it, and away I go. :)

I forgot, here's the same camera with the solar panel (that in my experience is utterly useless) - for $10 less.

Here's the thread on the install process and feedback from myself and others:

It kinda sucks that a car that is “supposed” to be able to drive itself, does not even have a proper front camera!!!!!
So I saw the thread, and I like the solution, but the issue I have with all this is the inconvenience of having to open and close the lid, and likely push the button, each time I want to see the front. Wish there is a better integration or a place for the screen.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
It kinda sucks that a car that is “supposed” to be able to drive itself, does not even have a proper front camera!!!!!
So I saw the thread, and I like the solution, but the issue I have with all this is the inconvenience of having to open and close the lid, and likely push the button, each time I want to see the front. Wish there is a better integration or a place for the screen.
No argument from me, but in the case of when I need to see how close to the parking curb I can get, this is better than getting out of the car in the rain and then getting right back in to do that one or two more times.

I hope cars being built in December will have the wiring harness at least but doubt it. I'm going to miss this camera by a few weeks I think. You'd think Tesla would be working harder on their flagship sedan.

My understanding is the HW4 computer physically has ports for extra cameras. It wouldn't even be terribly difficult to run a harness from the computer to the front of the car. But unfortunately it's very much not Tesla's MO to offer retrofits like this.

Now whether or not it can be done without Tesla's permission at some point is another matter. But we won't be able to figure that out until cars start shipping with the front camera.

Reactions: dsm363
My understanding is the HW4 computer physically has ports for extra cameras. It wouldn't even be terribly difficult to run a harness from the computer to the front of the car. But unfortunately it's very much not Tesla's MO to offer retrofits like this.

Now whether or not it can be done without Tesla's permission at some point is another matter. But we won't be able to figure that out until cars start shipping with the front camera.
Tesla offered it for 2012 Model S sedans that lacked parking sensors. But they offered it at a price so high, people wouldn't want to do it. $700 option from factory, $7,500 at service center at the time.

But if it really is simple to do, I think it'd be easy money for Tesla once they have enough parts. You're probably right though, Tesla usually doesn't offer this kind of thing but maybe they wouldn't block it if done aftermarket.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 7.51.28 AM.png
greentheonly said they usually don't put things into the firmware unless it's rolling off the line very soon but looks like not the case here.

I see. That's disappointing. I guess we will all know in a few months what is possible but looks like I'll miss out on the camera. Waited 11 years to order a new car and I know something new is always around the corner but still wish adding it (even for cost) after the fact would be possible.
One would expect a new front camera to come eventually. These cars are seriously hamstrung without it, and it's majorly frustrating to park without a front camera. Can't imagine how bad it is for those without USS currently, - such a joke!

One would expect a new front camera to come eventually. These cars are seriously hamstrung without it, and it's majorly frustrating to park without a front camera. Can't imagine how bad it is for those without USS currently, - such a joke!
Tesla has made some baffling design decisions the last few years (yoke, turn signal stalks, removing USS...etc)

My car originally didn't even have parking sensors anywhere but was able to get them from Tesla 2 years later for way more than it was from factory. So I guess whatever is on the car will still be better than what I have now.

Tesla has made some baffling design decisions the last few years (yoke, turn signal stalks, removing USS...etc)

My car originally didn't even have parking sensors anywhere but was able to get them from Tesla 2 years later for way more than it was from factory. So I guess whatever is on the car will still be better than what I have now.
Yes, that entire list is massively baffling. What's even more odd is that they then double or triple down on those bad decisions, and then add worse decisions on top of it. I mean the list really is endless, and add the automatic wipers into the mix, too, which are just about unusable these days.

Tesla really believes any of these cars are going to be fully self driving with cameras that get blocked by rain in seconds and have no way to self wipe? For goodness sake... It reminds me of the early Model 3s that let rain run down into the trunk off the trunk lid because somehow they never tested these things in rainy environments. Later Model 3s got a larger rubber gasket around the edge of the trunk opening to prevent this, but it does beg the question... how did Tesla manage to mess this up in the first place?

I feel really, really sorry for those people with HW4 and no USS. They must really, really love parking in tight spaces.

Yes, that entire list is massively baffling. What's even more odd is that they then double or triple down on those bad decisions, and then add worse decisions on top of it. I mean the list really is endless, and add the automatic wipers into the mix, too, which are just about unusable these days.

Tesla really believes any of these cars are going to be fully self driving with cameras that get blocked by rain in seconds and have no way to self wipe? For goodness sake... It reminds me of the early Model 3s that let rain run down into the trunk off the trunk lid because somehow they never tested these things in rainy environments. Later Model 3s got a larger rubber gasket around the edge of the trunk opening to prevent this, but it does beg the question... how did Tesla manage to mess this up in the first place?

I feel really, really sorry for those people with HW4 and no USS. They must really, really love parking in tight spaces.
What do the cars coming off the line have now? Just cameras, forward radar I think but no USS?

I really hope they designed things such way that fixing some of these mistakes is possible, even if it’s additional money at the service center.

What do the cars coming off the line have now? Just cameras, forward radar I think but no USS?

I really hope they designed things such way that fixing some of these mistakes is possible, even if it’s additional money at the service center.
The Model S/X now has just cameras, and an (inactive to the driver, as far as I'm aware) radar, that may be running in some sort of shadow mode. No USS on any Teslas, today. The 3 and Y don't have the radar, and Tesla has no plans to add it, says Elon. Elon also talks a huge amount of nonsense, so take that as you will...