Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any indications that front bumper camera can be retrofitted later on HW4 2023 MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S/X now has just cameras, and an (inactive to the driver, as far as I'm aware) radar, that may be running in some sort of shadow mode. No USS on any Teslas, today. The 3 and Y don't have the radar, and Tesla has no plans to add it, says Elon. Elon also talks a huge amount of nonsense, so take that as you will...

I guess parking sensors are gone then. Back to 2012 car features. I'm going to go do a test drive I think.

How did they get rid of parking sensors at low speeds?

The Model S/X now has just cameras, and an (inactive to the driver, as far as I'm aware) radar, that may be running in some sort of shadow mode. No USS on any Teslas, today. The 3 and Y don't have the radar, and Tesla has no plans to add it, says Elon. Elon also talks a huge amount of nonsense, so take that as you will...

Notably for the HW4 Ys (and presumably Highland 3s), the wiring for the high def radar appears to be present. I believe radar-less HW3 cars also still have the wiring present for the old module.

When digging through the wiring diagrams, it doesn't seem like USS would be terribly difficult to install as well (asides for requiring new bumpers). What I'm not sure about is the software side. I don't actually see a gateway entry for the USS, so I don't know if Tesla is detecting it live or if something else is going on.

Notably for the HW4 Ys (and presumably Highland 3s), the wiring for the high def radar appears to be present. I believe radar-less HW3 cars also still have the wiring present for the old module.

When digging through the wiring diagrams, it doesn't seem like USS would be terribly difficult to install as well (asides for requiring new bumpers). What I'm not sure about is the software side. I don't actually see a gateway entry for the USS, so I don't know if Tesla is detecting it live or if something else is going on.
If cost really is an issue, Tesla could make even more money making USS an option at the factory. They did this for parking sensors 10 years ago for $700.

Reactions: b_PJS
If radar is deemed essential to FSD since they added it back to Model S and Model X, you have to wonder what's going to happen to the hundreds of thousands of 3 and Ys as well. They would have been better off leaving the hardware there and turning it off to run their vision only experiment.

Since the front bumper camera was leaked in the firmware months ago, I certainly hope they are at least putting in the wiring harness now while waiting for parts.

HW3:
cfg_parkassistecutype: "TESLA"

HW4:
cfg_parkassistecutype: "NONE"

• Informative
Reactions: dsm363 and terranx
I’ve been researching adding a Tow Hitch on my S. I think I’ve found most of the parts, but in doing so, it got me thinking.

I’ve been trying to figure out why there would be different revisions to some of the body harnesses between HW3 and HW4. I think the cameras are run directly to the MCU. What I can come up with is Park Assist wiring being one. If they decontented the wiring because they removed the feature, you’d need to do the inverse to get Park Assist working which might require a different front harness and LH Body Harness. No small task to replace either…

From my couch thoughts and slight investigation, I believe similar can be done with the radar sensor for Model Y's. My 2023 MYLR has the radar connector in the frunk tub area behind the support beam. I noticed it while I was installing the homelink module. Physically I dont see why we aren't able to do the same with the front radar. Buy the bracket, screw, and radar module, install it behind fascia and add the radar heater element. Just artificial software limits are all thats blocking us.

I saw in some other threads on TMC that as long as you have a friendly, official Tesla Tech who can fully unlock the gateway then you can edit the specific configuration options, i.e. like leecox said telling the car what equipment it has installed. Besides reinstalling all the software after editing the configuration (which would be necessary since car needs to know which packages/software to include/exclude to run) there shouldnt be much other fuss.

Apparently there is a radar module in the interior as well, looks to be pointing inwards. Reminds me of those old ultrasonic alarm systems for cars sensing if someone got inside. But that interior radar shouldnt be needed to have a more smooth traffic aware cruise control operation which is what I'm aiming for. I don't like Tesla Vision TACC phantom braking on me; computer just not a good enough judge with looking thru a camera.

One can spend too much time surfing the service manuals. https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-79FC485C-B821-4E33-8209-0D49F4C5F38F.html
And yes I totally stand by the idea of being able to install those USS and enable them just like homelink except that creating the holes would be a large area for error, so I would still take that in to a SC to have it done.

Cross posted in model x forum, make of it what you will. I hope it’s true but not holding my breath

IMG_0310.jpeg

Yeah only thing I can think of is if they disable the one of the cameras in the triple cam setup and use that connection for the bumper cam. But I just can’t see Tesla going through that effort to bring something to a legacy hardware suite.

From my couch thoughts and slight investigation, I believe similar can be done with the radar sensor for Model Y's. My 2023 MYLR has the radar connector in the frunk tub area behind the support beam. I noticed it while I was installing the homelink module. Physically I dont see why we aren't able to do the same with the front radar. Buy the bracket, screw, and radar module, install it behind fascia and add the radar heater element. Just artificial software limits are all thats blocking us.

I saw in some other threads on TMC that as long as you have a friendly, official Tesla Tech who can fully unlock the gateway then you can edit the specific configuration options, i.e. like leecox said telling the car what equipment it has installed. Besides reinstalling all the software after editing the configuration (which would be necessary since car needs to know which packages/software to include/exclude to run) there shouldnt be much other fuss.

Apparently there is a radar module in the interior as well, looks to be pointing inwards. Reminds me of those old ultrasonic alarm systems for cars sensing if someone got inside. But that interior radar shouldnt be needed to have a more smooth traffic aware cruise control operation which is what I'm aiming for. I don't like Tesla Vision TACC phantom braking on me; computer just not a good enough judge with looking thru a camera.

One can spend too much time surfing the service manuals. Model Y Service Manual | Tesla
And yes I totally stand by the idea of being able to install those USS and enable them just like homelink except that creating the holes would be a large area for error, so I would still take that in to a SC to have it done.
Problem with this is even cars that have radar don’t use them anymore. So even if you got a module, plugged it, made the appropriate gateway changes… it just won’t do anything.

Reactions: dsm363