Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP Steering rack Failure. Tesla DENYING warranty coverage due to aftermarket wheels 20x10 with 275 40 20 set up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard stories about this, even with Tesla Mobile Service...if they saw non-Tesla wheels they would not perform service on them. This is why many of us with Model Ys will only use the approved wheels such as the 19" Gemini, 20" Inductions or 21" Uberturbines only.

As per Tesla service advisor, It is NOT covered under warranty since the aftermarket wheels caused the issue. While they couldn't tell me the exact reason, they kept on telling me that "aftermarket wheels which is totally different from OEM caused the issue" MYP OEM Size is 21X9.5" Front, 21X10.5 rear 255/35-21 Front, 275/35-21 Rear.
Total cost with parts and labor - $2.6K
Anyone had similar issues before ?
Not completely related but I took my OUT OF WARRANTEE 2016 S in for service and they told me they couldnt work on the car DUE TO AN AFTERMARKET STEREO!!!!! I had to elevate this and then had to sign a disclaimer that the "modification" may cause issues (BS) with the repair work and they were not liable for further damage (it was a cinch motor replacement)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mattemsmy
Mine was 20" inch wheels with 275 40 20 tires ( wheels weighs 24 lbs than the heavier uberturbines) compared to oem induction wheels with 255 40 20. You are correct Tesla allows to select Square set up from Service Menu. Going up to 265 or 275 on oem induction wheels has been a popular upgrade for many here.

Not sure whom to talk to other as my next service center is 200 miles away:(
I was going to say the same as others, basically throw on OEM wheels and go to a different SC instead of wasting time trying to fight it with this one (you might need lawyer involved), but 200 miles is a bit far.

As others point out, it's not hard to find resources that say wider wheels than OEM can extert more force on the steering components. People pointing out many people using aftermarket wheels without apparent issue is not particularly relevant given they may not necessarily be using the exact same combo, plus there may still be additional wear on those vehicles, just that it hasn't become apparent yet.

Not sure how to fight it otherwise by yourself.

Reactions: GSP and TSLA Pilot
As others have said. They have to prove that your wider contact patch caused the rack damage. I to am running my 20x10.5 wheels. No issues yet almost 6000 miles no noise. But if mine breaks I’ll deal with it as my local sc sucks a$$. Well the people there do up front anyway.

Last edited:
Actually I disagree.
As far as Fact proof here is a pothole example:
91 freeway after rain, crazy pothole, no less than 7 cars, 2 of them Tesla with stocks rims hit before I did, they all flat tires and or/bent rims. I didn't see and was on AP, BAM it felt bad but I kept going and drove by all these cars (2 teslas for a fact had stock rims).
Rather worthless anecdote as impact speeds, angle, vehicle load, exact point of impact, among a host of other factors, would be different for every single car that hits the pothole. The number of variables here is so great that it's beyond silly to bring this up as some sort of evidence of anything . . . recommend taking Sixth Grade science class again.

• Disagree
Reactions: whisperingshad
Elon was most definitely NOT A FOUNDER...
Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning founded the company. Elon invested in the company and then fired them (just like every venture he's done)
Yes, and M&M almost destroyed Tesla due to their remarkably inept management and cost control, or so it appears . . . .

When asked to put more of their substantial assets in to help Tesla survive, I believe one or both put nothing in rather than risk their money.

Instead, Elon went all in with a $30m or $40m cash infusion, his last bit of money, and saved Tesla.

Not sure why you're so proud of M&M, but given their history I sure wouldn't be given that Tesla exists today because of Elon, and in spite of M&M . . . .

Reactions: rolling green

1681329801181.png

1681329769967.png

1681330022874.png

1681330064820.png

1681330082188.png

1681330112853.png

Attachments

• 1681329724712.png
    1681329724712.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 42
@globalmax Sorry, we gotta call the respective Tesla Service Center out on this one. We've had multiple chats with drivetrain & test engineers in the Tesla inner circle who've been there over a decade give us insight to grinding, squeaking, bouncy bed noises😃 coming from the axles (with or without aftermarket wheels). They seem to think the noise comes from dry bearings or stretched out axles, and they have heard noises like this it countless times on completely stock vehicles.

1. This noise is common in many cars, and more so across the entire Tesla lineup. We as Tesla owners are just quick to notice it because EV's are quiet, but again this is common in ICE vehicles (it's just not as noticeable because there's engine noise). In our opinion, and those employees mentioned above it is a coincidence that you're hearing this grinding noise after you put on your aftermarket wheels and tires on.
2. Charging ~$2,600 for a steering rack & labor is an easy way for the respective Tesla Service Center to blame the aftermarket (because that's easy to do) and say pay up or be on your way.
3. HERE'S THE FIX (aftermarket wheels or not):

A. Get the vehicle on a lift and remove wheel(s)
B. Remove the 32mm axle nut
C. Lightly/carefully hammer back the axle toward the drive unit until there's about a 15mm gap
D. Lather the bearing hub or axle with anti-seize lubricant. Don't be shy, lather it up!
E. Push the axle back in
F. Tighten to 245nm (straight from the Tesla service manual 😉)
G. Noise fixed.

Last edited:
I think it just has to be reasonable. they don't need to have an engineering analysis. i think it's reasonable to conclude wider/heavier wheels and tires will cause added stress.
And yet Tesla allows and has no problem with someone playing video games steering the car while parked for hours on end with no effect? Cough.
I would be more worried about wear on the steering rack from That versus driving around on a very similar aftermarket wheel. tire combo.
Sitting parked and cranking the steering wheel playing a driving game is Going to expose the rack to higher torque forces than turning with the vehicle actually in motion.
It is not rocket science. Cough Again. and jmo

Last edited: