Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP vs MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would one go for a MYLR versus a MYP? Or, the other way around?

It's know a $5k difference.
Ride quality harsher on MYP due to 21" rims
Range is less on MYP, but due to 21" staggered rims
MYP is quicker, lower, and has cool looking spoiler and red brakes

Better resale value for MYP?

Reactions: SMay24

Not just red brakes…Brembo brakes. Quite different in stopping power and fading during hard braking. Tighter handling/cornering.
Range can be improved yes with different lighter rims/tires.

Reactions: chil943
Not just red brakes…Brembo brakes. Quite different in stopping power and fading during hard braking. Tighter handling/cornering.
LR's brakes are also Brembo. At least the front are (not sure of the rear).

LR's brakes are also Brembo. At least the front are (not sure of the rear).

Ah you’re right..my bad. The PY has thicker rotors though.

I guess add in ABoost and the spoiler cost and the delta is now 2k?

Its a 5k difference, but if you are one who is even contemplating the Model Y Performance, you are also someone who is likely to buy the acceleration boost on a Model Y Long Range, and thats 2k. That means the effective difference is 3k, and the Model YP is still faster off the line, has the red calipers etc. At the cost of a 60+k vehicle, 3k is a fairly insignificant amount.

Said another way, someone contemplating a model Y LR vs a Performance model can likely afford the 5k difference (3k after acceleration boost as I said) either up front, or over the cost of the loan.

This is why my wife has a model Y P we just picked up last week instead of a model Y Long range. Can always swap tires to smaller ones etc, but people in ICE land pay a lot of money for extra speed, and 3k is not much in this price range of vehicle.

This is true. You cannot rotate tires, so you end up replacing the rear tires more frequently than you do the fronts.
Many MYP owners simply sell the 21” Ubers and buy a 20” or 19” square option at a mart zero cost. Lighter, even faster than spec and loss of fun across the emigre power band. For 3k diff? 2k if you want an oem spoiler…1.5k if you get your calipers painted.

If you’re one that wants a P style look with your LR and some added ABoost…the P is the way to go and you get the car in 6-8 weeks…not 6-8 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: chil943
I have a Dec 2021 MYP order at 63,900 pricing but also a MYLR at Dec pricing. Tesla is forcing me to take delivery of the MYP after two holds I put on them. I was debating letting that go and wait for the MYLR order (October EDD), and get a used S in the meantime. But I am sensing giving up my MYP order would be a bad idea. Oh well, I guess I'll pass on the S experience.

I have a Dec 2021 MYP order at 63,900 pricing but also a MYLR at Dec pricing. Tesla is forcing me to take delivery of the MYP after two holds I put on them. I was debating letting that go and wait for the MYLR order (October EDD), and get a used S in the meantime. But I am sensing giving up my MYP order would be a bad idea. Oh well, I guess I'll pass on the S experience.
Have you driven a new S LR or plaid? Yoke, suspension etc?

I would gladly take your MYP reservation if you don't want :)

I picked up a MYLR in Dec, sold it after 2 weeks, and ordered MYP which I picked up today. I am very happy with the MYP. I did not notice much difference in harshness of ride, although I did notice a huge difference in acceleration. The 21" wheels look sweet (I had the 20s on the MYLR).

In addition to the differences noted above, another difference is the matrix headlights.

Have you had a chance to test drive both these cars? I think the differences pointed out here will be easy to notice: the acceleration zip v/s the slightly bumpier ride v/s the "standout" red brakes.

Personally when we reserved our we chose MYLR because I was never going to (be allowed by family) use the "performance" features :)

On one more thing, until few months ago, the wait times for MYP were significantly shorter than MYLR (almost by half); not sure if that is still the case?

Have you had a chance to test drive both these cars? I think the differences pointed out here will be easy to notice: the acceleration zip v/s the slightly bumpier ride v/s the "standout" red brakes.

Personally when we reserved our we chose MYLR because I was never going to (be allowed by family) use the "performance" features :)

On one more thing, until few months ago, the wait times for MYP were significantly shorter than MYLR (almost by half); not sure if that is still the case?
More like 1/4th the wait time now - 2 months vs 8+ months

Both cars have Brembos, with the difference being the LR just has sliders in the rear instead of fixed calipers like the front.

OP, get the MYP if you are a driving enthusiast. If you are more of a commuter or casual driver, the LR is pretty darn good as it is. Put the LR into context and realize that it already nails .88g on the skid pad vs .95 for the MYP. Hitting .88g is pretty damn good in its own right, a lot of expensive german SUV can barely hit .88g. Thus if you need, no want more then there is the MYP.

When we were shopping the two, was looking at a 7 seat LR vs the MYP. I talked the wife into the MYP because we didn't really need 7 seats anymore, and I knew I'd rather flog the Performance around on Sundays when I'm driving her car. And it turns out she likes the MYP, she's fine with the stiffer ride because she knows it drives like a rocket.

More like 1/4th the wait time now - 2 months vs 8+ months
More like half Id say.
The LR is currently October 2022 7 months …and the MYP is June 2022…3 months.

D2E66A1A-A8F0-40EF-96C7-9989E1635982.jpeg
F7769CBB-1A3B-49A0-830B-4D99DB786CCA.png