Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC and MYLR vs MYP Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little background for context, we have a new MYLR W/W/19 that we picked up 3 weeks ago.

Dropped off the car this morning, surprised they were open on Sundays let alone on Easter, to have them fix a handful of issues found during delivery day. This was the SC on Kearny Mesa in San Diego. No other customer was there during drop off. SA was very friendly and walked over all concerns I had and noted them. I was given an MYP as a loaner. Car was fixed same day and I picked it up right before they closed. Whole process was very smooth and easy. The app is great to track status of all repairs and the technician notes are extremely helpful. Fortunately all the issue I found were resolved, as I had anticipated. I had a few questions so I messaged them through the app and got responses within minutes. So far very happy with the purchase of the MYLR so far. Also very happy with Tesla SC. This is by far better than any traditional dealership service experience. I see a lot of people complain about Tesla service but hopefully majority of you are pleased.

Now onto the MYP I was given as a loaner. This was a 2020 or 2021 model (still had old center console). Car overall looked really beat up. Numerous scratches and dents all over the paint and plastic trims. All 4 wheels were curbed or scratched. Felt like a car with 80k miles but I checked the odo and only showed 25k miles.

Cons:
- Immediately out of the parked lot you can feel the suspension significantly stiffer than the comfort suspension on the MYLR. Ride height is lower but not too noticeable. Ride difference is comparable to GLC 300 to GLC 43 or BMW X3 30i to X3 M40i. MYP is a little crashy over pothole and bumps. If you’re used to performance oriented cars this IMO is on the more comfy side
- This particular loaner had a ton of rattles throughout the cabin. Cabin noise at freeway speeds is also louder then. Overall our new MYLR just feels so much more put together and this one felt loose. I hope our car doesn’t start to break down like this one did
- Sunroof felt much brighter and let in more heat on the MYP. Did they change the sunroof at some point? I felt in our new car it was more tinted and barely let in any heat

Pro:
- That acceleration is real nice. Loaner was limited to 85 MPH and I got there almost too quick. I don’t miss it though. My wife will be driving the car majority of time and when we do drive together I never get on it with her in the car. So that WOT will probably happen twice a year, if that.

Anyways, happy Easter to all. Thought I would leave some impressions for people debating between MYP vs MYLR. I’m glad we stuck with the MYLR. The sacrifices we would’ve had to make for the quicker acceleration and price doesn’t feel worth it.
Tesla_en_estacionamiento_de_Querétaro,_México (1).jpg

I feel the same way. Originally wanted the MYP but this is the family car so I prioritized comfort over performance. It also helps that the LR is actually pretty quick. I’m still tempted to get the acceleration boost though.
We have the acceleration boost on our 2023 MY LR - took delivery on 3/30 and I literally bought the AB the day after we took delivery. It's a noticeable difference - not just WOT but also midrange acceleration - just much more responsive overall really. I'd imagine it's not quite as quick as MYP - but you can definitely feel the difference seat of the pants.

Reactions: bigboi
We have the acceleration boost on our 2023 MY LR - took delivery on 3/30 and I literally bought the AB the day after we took delivery. It's a noticeable difference - not just WOT but also midrange acceleration - just much more responsive overall really. I'd imagine it's not quite as quick as MYP - but you can definitely feel the difference seat of the pants.
Thanks for the info!! I was going to try finding dynos or something to see how the powerband is on the LR base and + boost, but it’s good to know it’s not just quick off the line.

A little background for context, we have a new MYLR W/W/19 that we picked up 3 weeks ago.

Dropped off the car this morning, surprised they were open on Sundays let alone on Easter, to have them fix a handful of issues found during delivery day. This was the SC on Kearny Mesa in San Diego. No other customer was there during drop off. SA was very friendly and walked over all concerns I had and noted them. I was given an MYP as a loaner. Car was fixed same day and I picked it up right before they closed. Whole process was very smooth and easy. The app is great to track status of all repairs and the technician notes are extremely helpful. Fortunately all the issue I found were resolved, as I had anticipated. I had a few questions so I messaged them through the app and got responses within minutes. So far very happy with the purchase of the MYLR so far. Also very happy with Tesla SC. This is by far better than any traditional dealership service experience. I see a lot of people complain about Tesla service but hopefully majority of you are pleased.

Now onto the MYP I was given as a loaner. This was a 2020 or 2021 model (still had old center console). Car overall looked really beat up. Numerous scratches and dents all over the paint and plastic trims. All 4 wheels were curbed or scratched. Felt like a car with 80k miles but I checked the odo and only showed 25k miles.

Cons:
- Immediately out of the parked lot you can feel the suspension significantly stiffer than the comfort suspension on the MYLR. Ride height is lower but not too noticeable. Ride difference is comparable to GLC 300 to GLC 43 or BMW X3 30i to X3 M40i. MYP is a little crashy over pothole and bumps. If you’re used to performance oriented cars this IMO is on the more comfy side
- This particular loaner had a ton of rattles throughout the cabin. Cabin noise at freeway speeds is also louder then. Overall our new MYLR just feels so much more put together and this one felt loose. I hope our car doesn’t start to break down like this one did
- Sunroof felt much brighter and let in more heat on the MYP. Did they change the sunroof at some point? I felt in our new car it was more tinted and barely let in any heat

Pro:
- That acceleration is real nice. Loaner was limited to 85 MPH and I got there almost too quick. I don’t miss it though. My wife will be driving the car majority of time and when we do drive together I never get on it with her in the car. So that WOT will probably happen twice a year, if that.

Anyways, happy Easter to all. Thought I would leave some impressions for people debating between MYP vs MYLR. I’m glad we stuck with the MYLR. The sacrifices we would’ve had to make for the quicker acceleration and price doesn’t feel worth it.
Thanks for the writeup on your SC experience and MYP loaner.

Regarding the cons of the MYP, I believe most of what you've observed have to do with the fact that it is a 20/21 model year car with some of the older equipment and have been in service as a loaner. I've never been in a 23 MYP, but based on what's been posted around here, the suspension might actually be the same, just lowered. So I'm guessing a 23 MYP's ride would be similar to a 23 MYLR's instead of a 20/21 MYP. Later 21 model year MYPs such as mine have double pane front windows, so in theory the cabin noise should be improved from the older cars. My MYP has been solid so far through 33k miles. Other than a squeak in the front seats (same issue in both) that I fixed myself, it's been rattle-free.

Anyway, I've driven a couple of 22 MYLRs and in everyday driving it feels pretty similar to the MYP. I think the difference is the stronger acceleration at the bottom end and now having Track Mode in the MYP. The pricing kind of reflects that the cars are not that different, with the MYP being only $4k more, and at least half of that difference attributed to the wheels alone (Induction wheels costs a $2k upcharge for MYLRs).

For perspective there have been Many changes to the MYP since 2020 so the comparison is a bit swayed. Add to that, the way most treat loaner or rental cars is Very different than ownership. Fairly certain most all of the improvements to your 23 are also the same on a 23 MYP only it goes much faster.
Yes you are absolutely correct. However, I can only share what I’ve experienced. Also goes to show that perhaps they improved the quality of the cars over the years. I didn’t expect a loaner to be in pristine condition whatsoever but the driving dynamics and differences I feel I believe is still valid.

Good to hear a positive service center story. People only tend to post about negative experiences which leaves a bit of a skewed perception on here. My experiences over four years with my two local SCs, and the rangers before we even had an SC, have been amazing.
Glad to hear! Yes most people will only share negative experiences and not make comments about good ones. Fortunately the truth is always somewhere in the middle

Reactions: Yelobird
I feel the same way. Originally wanted the MYP but this is the family car so I prioritized comfort over performance. It also helps that the LR is actually pretty quick. I’m still tempted to get the acceleration boost though.
I think it’s great that they do offer the acceleration boost so you can get more. For the price though you probably would have been better getting the MYP. Just my opinion. Very happy with the acceleration already given it’s size and weight

Thanks for the writeup on your SC experience and MYP loaner.

Regarding the cons of the MYP, I believe most of what you've observed have to do with the fact that it is a 20/21 model year car with some of the older equipment and have been in service as a loaner. I've never been in a 23 MYP, but based on what's been posted around here, the suspension might actually be the same, just lowered. So I'm guessing a 23 MYP's ride would be similar to a 23 MYLR's instead of a 20/21 MYP. Later 21 model year MYPs such as mine have double pane front windows, so in theory the cabin noise should be improved from the older cars. My MYP has been solid so far through 33k miles. Other than a squeak in the front seats (same issue in both) that I fixed myself, it's been rattle-free.

Anyway, I've driven a couple of 22 MYLRs and in everyday driving it feels pretty similar to the MYP. I think the difference is the stronger acceleration at the bottom end and now having Track Mode in the MYP. The pricing kind of reflects that the cars are not that different, with the MYP being only $4k more, and at least half of that difference attributed to the wheels alone (Induction wheels costs a $2k upcharge for MYLRs).
Yes I agree a lot of what I’ve experienced is due to an early model car. So I’m glad to see that they have improved over the years. That’s interesting if the suspension hardware is actually the same just lowered. In theory if you have lower suspension It reduces travel and hits the bump stops sooner. It definitely crashes into bumps unlike the MYLR that absorbs them. I’m fairly certain they are at least tuned differently. On freeways the ride is stiffer by a noticeable margin.

I test drove a MYLR and felt like something was missing. I didn't love it. I test drove the MYP, problem solved. I don't feel any of the harshness that people report and love the car.

This is my second MYP. The first one was a shade better than this one, but both have been awesome all around cars.
I accept the feedback from a Lawyer of Physics! Same for me. Especially with the new pricing. I turn on chill mode when I want to experience a LRMY.

I think it’s great that they do offer the acceleration boost so you can get more. For the price though you probably would have been better getting the MYP. Just my opinion. Very happy with the acceleration already given it’s size and weight
I was thinking that! in hindsight, I should have just ordered the MYP and swapped the suspension. At the time, I wasn't too informed and I read that the suspension is too low and too firm for daily driving and that the tires are too thin (so the wheels will get damaged easily). That and I thought the LR was quicker to get than the MYP, so i just ordered it.

The only other tesla I've ever been in is my friend's model s plaid, and that thing is just nuts. I might save up for that next though. The MYLR is 90% for my wife to drive our kids around, so if I really get the S, it will be 100% for me. I already have a truck and a track car to play with, and the model s, although very simple inside, just feels more premium than my MY and would be a nice daily. It's a lot of money, and I don't really like the idea of tying up any more money on just toys, but you can't argue with what you get...the performance is insane for what you pay!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboi
I test drove a MYLR and felt like something was missing. I didn't love it. I test drove the MYP, problem solved. I don't feel any of the harshness that people report and love the car.

This is my second MYP. The first one was a shade better than this one, but both have been awesome all around cars.
The MYP is a totally livable daily driver. The ride is stiff only relative to the MYLR. The ride when comparing to actually stiff supercars is nowhere near as stiff. Glad you love it, it’s a great all rounder. Incredible performance for value

I get the feeling the rattles are caused by neglect as that is just a loaner beater car.
I don’t doubt it. But even an Enterprise rental Nissan Rogue with 70k miles I recently was in didn’t feel nearly as bad. I’ve been a German car buyer almost exclusively and they do start to break down over time and generate creaks and rattles. I just hope the MYLR holds up better

I was thinking that! in hindsight, I should have just ordered the MYP and swapped the suspension. At the time, I wasn't too informed and I read that the suspension is too low and too firm for daily driving and that the tires are too thin (so the wheels will get damaged easily). That and I thought the LR was quicker to get than the MYP, so i just ordered it.

The only other tesla I've ever been in is my friend's model s plaid, and that thing is just nuts. I might save up for that next though. The MYLR is 90% for my wife to drive our kids around, so if I really get the S, it will be 100% for me. I already have a truck and a track car to play with, and the model s, although very simple inside, just feels more premium than my MY and would be a nice daily. It's a lot of money, and I don't really like the idea of tying up any more money on just toys, but you can't argue with what you get...the performance is insane for what you pay!
Carmakers nowadays are all trying so hard to create one car solutions for everything. When you do that you are then left with a car that’s really good at many things but don’t excel in either. I had always been someone that will keep at least 2 cars but buy the most extreme cars on both ends of the spectrum. I would get a Cullinan as the most comfy and “practical” daily driver/family car then get a GT3RS strictly for canyon carving or track days. Cars like the Lamborghini Urus is absolutely amazing at being somewhat practical, somewhat fast and handle somewhat great. I think the MYP is kinda in line with where the Urus sits. For people that only want and need one car it is an amazing value proposition.