Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC and MYLR vs MYP Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny that you're actually complaining about getting a loaner. That happens very infrequently these days. They have mostly eliminated Uber credits as well. If you did a scan here you'd see plenty of people complaining about NOT getting a loaner! Consider yourself lucky.

Reactions: bigboi
I get the feeling the rattles are caused by neglect as that is just a loaner beater car.
How do you neglect rattles though? Are you supposed to lube your interior trims every 10K miles? My 2013 Ford Focus ST had very little rattles after 9 years and I got it for $23K new.

Joking aside, the loaner Model X I got was also a rattle trap. If I paid $100K for an X and it was rattles like that after a few years I would've been pissed. This makes me scared that my 2023 Model Y will eventually rattle like that.

Funny that you're actually complaining about getting a loaner. That happens very infrequently these days. They have mostly eliminated Uber credits as well. If you did a scan here you'd see plenty of people complaining about NOT getting a loaner! Consider yourself lucky.
Varies by location. I've always been offered a loaner at my local SC, every time over 4.5 years of ownership now. Last time was about a month ago. Usually a M3, nothing fancy but useful.

My 2023 MYP feels way more solid than my 2019 M3 SR did. Quieter, and just better put together. The glass on my MYP does seem darker than the glass on my M3.
Good to know! Saved me a few bucks from having to tint or buy a shade for the sunroof. Wifey was complaining it felt really hot in the loaner MYP and I swore our MYLR didn't attract that much heat in the cabin

Oh I wasn't complaining about getting a loaner at all. I even praised the SC that I went to. I was simply sharing my thoughts about the MYP vs MYLR. I can only share what I've experienced and this particular loaner MYP wasn't in the best condition. Also this SC was going to offer me $100 in Uber credits if I didn't want the loaner. Can't be more happy with the overall service experience

How do you neglect rattles though? Are you supposed to lube your interior trims every 10K miles? My 2013 Ford Focus ST had very little rattles after 9 years and I got it for $23K new.

Joking aside, the loaner Model X I got was also a rattle trap. If I paid $100K for an X and it was rattles like that after a few years I would've been pissed. This makes me scared that my 2023 Model Y will eventually rattle like that.
I agree with you. Jokes and all too. In my experience, stiffer cars do start to generate more rattles over time but in most cases you notice them right away when new. I have to believe they improved the assembly or parts used over the years. It's similar to German cars. Facelifted models just feel more put together than pre-facelift ones.

.... This makes me scared that my 2023 Model Y will eventually rattle like that.
My June 2020 MY doesn't rattle. If there's a rattle in my car, it means some stuff in the car is rattling (sunglasses in the door, empty can in rear cupholder...), or one of the unbelted seatbelts are twisted with the buckle is rattling against the trim.

A little background for context, we have a new MYLR W/W/19 that we picked up 3 weeks ago.

Dropped off the car this morning, surprised they were open on Sundays let alone on Easter, to have them fix a handful of issues found during delivery day. This was the SC on Kearny Mesa in San Diego. No other customer was there during drop off. SA was very friendly and walked over all concerns I had and noted them. I was given an MYP as a loaner. Car was fixed same day and I picked it up right before they closed. Whole process was very smooth and easy. The app is great to track status of all repairs and the technician notes are extremely helpful. Fortunately all the issue I found were resolved, as I had anticipated. I had a few questions so I messaged them through the app and got responses within minutes. So far very happy with the purchase of the MYLR so far. Also very happy with Tesla SC. This is by far better than any traditional dealership service experience. I see a lot of people complain about Tesla service but hopefully majority of you are pleased.

Now onto the MYP I was given as a loaner. This was a 2020 or 2021 model (still had old center console). Car overall looked really beat up. Numerous scratches and dents all over the paint and plastic trims. All 4 wheels were curbed or scratched. Felt like a car with 80k miles but I checked the odo and only showed 25k miles.

Cons:
- Immediately out of the parked lot you can feel the suspension significantly stiffer than the comfort suspension on the MYLR. Ride height is lower but not too noticeable. Ride difference is comparable to GLC 300 to GLC 43 or BMW X3 30i to X3 M40i. MYP is a little crashy over pothole and bumps. If you’re used to performance oriented cars this IMO is on the more comfy side
- This particular loaner had a ton of rattles throughout the cabin. Cabin noise at freeway speeds is also louder then. Overall our new MYLR just feels so much more put together and this one felt loose. I hope our car doesn’t start to break down like this one did
- Sunroof felt much brighter and let in more heat on the MYP. Did they change the sunroof at some point? I felt in our new car it was more tinted and barely let in any heat

Pro:
- That acceleration is real nice. Loaner was limited to 85 MPH and I got there almost too quick. I don’t miss it though. My wife will be driving the car majority of time and when we do drive together I never get on it with her in the car. So that WOT will probably happen twice a year, if that.

Anyways, happy Easter to all. Thought I would leave some impressions for people debating between MYP vs MYLR. I’m glad we stuck with the MYLR. The sacrifices we would’ve had to make for the quicker acceleration and price doesn’t feel worth it. View attachment 930587
The older suspension in the loaner that you test drove is a lot stiffer than the updated suspension in current MYLR and MYP. If you test drive 2023 MYP, you'll feel a world of difference. At least it was for me when I test drove both MYL.R and MYP back in Feb 2023. Acceleration aside, the accelerator pad felt more responsive on MYP. Basically, you can set MYP in sport mode and just lightly press on accelerator and drive like MYLR. If you need the power, it's always there at the tip of your foot

The MYP is a totally livable daily driver. The ride is stiff only relative to the MYLR. The ride when comparing to actually stiff supercars is nowhere near as stiff. Glad you love it, it’s a great all rounder. Incredible performance for value
I test drove a 2023 MYP, was a lot smoother than my 21’ Acura RDX Aspec SHAWD. The Acura is very stiff, even with 20” rims and 255/45 high profile stock tires. Heard people complain about the “booming noise” from the rear - that typical with all suv‘s that don’t have sepa trucks. The acceleration just blows the doors off a similar ICE suv.

I have a 23 MYP, after test driving it vs the MYLR I felt they shouldn’t even sell the the lr. The P was just way better in every area I think it was $3500 more when I ordered it. the speed difference is huge, 0-60 3.5 is low end supercar acceleration. The ride is slightly stiffer but it handles way better around curves. Both cars are great but if the extra $$ isn’t an issue it’s a no brainer to get the performance model. I drive it daily and it’s not an issue. My wife thinks it’s to quick so her profile is in chill and comfort mode.

I have a 23 MYP, after test driving it vs the MYLR I felt they shouldn’t even sell the the lr. The P was just way better in every area I think it was $3500 more when I ordered it. the speed difference is huge, 0-60 3.5 is low end supercar acceleration. The ride is slightly stiffer but it handles way better around curves. Both cars are great but if the extra $$ isn’t an issue it’s a no brainer to get the performance model. I drive it daily and it’s not an issue. My wife thinks it’s to quick so her profile is in chill and comfort mode.
Everyday, "affordable", supercar! Amirite?

The older suspension in the loaner that you test drove is a lot stiffer than the updated suspension in current MYLR and MYP. If you test drive 2023 MYP, you'll feel a world of difference. At least it was for me when I test drove both MYL.R and MYP back in Feb 2023. Acceleration aside, the accelerator pad felt more responsive on MYP. Basically, you can set MYP in sport mode and just lightly press on accelerator and drive like MYLR. If you need the power, it's always there at the tip of your foot
That's good info! I will be sure to take that into consideration when we buy again. I also agree with the pedal response. The MYP was much more responsive. I felt the MYLR pedal is heavier and makes it harder to depress. Not sure if that's just a change they did for newer cars

So has there been conclusive evidence that the MYP's range being less than the MYLR is simply due to bigger wheels and stickier tires? I ordered the MYLR just for the sake of those extra 30 miles of range, if we ever needed it. After actually using the car, the range doesn't seem to really be a factor other than going on long road trips. For daily use it will never not be enough.