Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny how SA's are able to confirm when a car DOES come with matrix headlights but are clueless when it won't.
I think some SAs might also be confused and say they come with matrix when it doesn’t because Teslas internal terminology/documentation doesn’t say matrix anywhere.

I think the old lights are referred to as “premium” and the matrix are “global”.

I wonder if the Matrix “Global” Headlight is actually supplied by Shanghai and the shortage and the switch to the old style coincided with the lack or supply of the assembly coming from China.

Since people stopped receiving volume of VINs during this period…might be possible they were switching and ramping their secondary supplier back to producing the old style again.

Maybe then with Shanghai back online, they may start receiving them again and future vehicles would get them again as they drain off the “old” supply.

Reactions: alloverx
I wonder if the Matrix “Global” Headlight is actually supplied by Shanghai and the shortage and the switch to the old style coincided with the lack or supply of the assembly coming from China.

Since people stopped receiving volume of VINs during this period…might be possible they were switching and ramping their secondary supplier back to producing the old style again.

Maybe then with Shanghai back online, they may start receiving them again and future vehicles would get them again as they drain off the “old” supply.
The lights are actually made in Mexico from what I’ve seen but it wouldn’t surprise me if they have another supplier in China.

Alright, I'm back from the Lynnwood, WA SC again. I'm going to provide the VIN, model, headlight, manufacture date below. There was a truck unloaded a bunch of 3s today, and I can confirm all the headlights are now the old one. The good things is they all have the charging port.

Data ordered by VIN ASC.

VINMFG DateheadlightModel
231xxx4/17NewLR
231xxx4/15NewLR
231xxx4/18NewLR
232xxx4/19NewLR
234xxx4/18NewLR
234xxx4/18NewLR
234xxx4/18NewLR
236xxx4/19NewLR
237xxx4/25OldLR
237xxx4/20NewLR
237xxx4/19NewPerf
237xxx4/17NewLR
238xxx4/19NewPerf
238xxx4/19NewPerf
238xxx4/21NewLR
239xxx4/21NewLR
239xxx4/22NewLR
240xxx4/22NewLR
240xxx4/22NewLR
240xxx4/22NewLR
241xxx4/27OldLR
242xxx4/26OldLR
242xxx4/28OldLR
244xxx4/29OldLR
245xxx4/23NewLR
245xxx4/29OldLR
245xxx4/30OldLR
246xxx4/30OldLR
246xxx4/29OldLR
This is extremely frustrating...

Now that smart headlights are approved in North America it's another reason to want the matrix headlights as the reflector style will not likely be able to be coded for adaptive beam.

True but I'm not convinced the current ones will be either. Samsung/Hella mention the unit being ideal for global rollout - single model which can adapt with firmware for different light patterns based on local legislation. Its pretty low res (100 pixels) and I don't know if there is enough support hardware (i.e camera) to properly drive the pixels and direction for active blanking etc

True but I'm not convinced the current ones will be either. Samsung/Hella mention the unit being ideal for global rollout - single model which can adapt with firmware for different light patterns based on local legislation. Its pretty low res (100 pixels) and I don't know if there is enough support hardware (i.e camera) to properly drive the pixels and direction for active blanking etc
Volvo/Polestar Pixel LED lights have 84 pixels and can do ADB function so the Tesla lights are more than hardware capable. It’s a matter of Tesla enabling the software.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ and Mrklaw
Can you tell via the vin # whether or not you have the matrix headlights or is it only in person that you'll know?
No way to tell just from the VIN itself.

You can try texting or emailing the SAs with your VIN and ask if your car has the premium/reflector headlights or the global/matrix projector headlights. But it seems to be hit or miss whether they know what you’re talking about or not.

Reactions: GolfProGiff
This is how I feel

maxresdefault.jpg

So my 236xxx doesn’t have matrix headlights. Do we know if this is a permanent thing or just temporary?
No one knows for sure and Tesla hasn’t made any official comments (or unofficial tweets from Elon) either way.

From the post above yours it seems like they might be coming back? Or probably just a mixed bag and cars will get whatever is available at time of assembly….