Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US regulations are far behind the rest of the world in many areas. Automotive lighting is one of them.
But this is also only a lame excuse for Tesla's inability to get these matrix lamps working.

In Europe Matrix headlamps have been approved for many years, there is literally NO good reason for Tesla not to enable the Matrix functionality here in Europe, if they had the software ready for it.

BMW makes loads of cars with matrix headlamps, if this function is not allowed in the US, they probably just disable it on cars sold in the US, but that does not mean that European buyers does not get it either.

So this is not "Poor tesla, they want so badly to have these matrix headlamps working, but the big bad governmental agencies that approve these will not let them" but rather "Tesla is either unwilling or unable to make these matrix headlamps work" because they could totally do it and enable them in parts of the world where legislation is not far far behind technology like in the US.

Reactions: E90alex
I'm simply pointing out that you know nothing of what you're wishing for.
your desire is to keep up with the Joneses....nothing more.
headlights must meet regulatory standards set by authorities to ensure safety......be they LED, Matrix, or whatever.
Your insistence on having what Bobby has is entirely emotional.
THIS is exactly what i want.

This is what the Hella headlamps CAN do if programmed properly, it just seems Tesla is either unwilling or unable to get this function working.

Audi made the first car with Matrix headlamps 10 years ago....

Please tell me again, that this is NOT a significant safety upgrade to the car.

Reactions: Resist and E90alex
Yeah and brakes without ABS is also good and rated well, but that does not mean, that it is preposterous to want ABS brakes as well.
Not even close to the same level of thing. Keep trying.
Can you give me one good reason for Tesla to fit matrix headlamps in their cars, but not actually enable the matrix functionality.
Because they intend to in the future but it’s not been high enough priority yet. I’ve already explained this. haha

You might check out a used GM, I’ve heard they have better features than a Tesla. Sounds like a better fit for you.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
THIS is exactly what i want.

This is what the Hella headlamps CAN do if programmed properly, it just seems Tesla is either unwilling or unable to get this function working.

Audi made the first car with Matrix headlamps 10 years ago....

Please tell me again, that this is NOT a significant safety upgrade to the car.
not.
the existing headlights, LED or whatever, are very good. I want for nothing.
my opinion, of course.....just as yours is .... an opinion.

So if the car did not have climate control, and i said "I just wished it had climate control like a lot of other cars" you would not accept that as a request because i could not give a detailed description of how a climate control system works.

Thats completely dumb to be honest.

All i want is matrix headlamps that works like matrix headlamps do on all other cars with matrix headlamps.

High beam all the time, that just dips right where oncoming traffic is, to not blind them.

That is LITERALLY how Matrix headlamps works and should work, i dont see the logic in having to explain it in greater detail.
invalid hypothetical.

It’s not though.

ECE lighting regulations require:
-auto leveling if brightness exceeds a certain threshold to help reduce glare (yes, even Teslas in Europe have auto leveling)
-headlight washers if brightness exceeds a certain threshold to help reduce glare. (Tesla has actually reduced brightness of headlights in the past to get around this)
-headlight aiming check required as part of their roadworthiness inspections to help reduce glare
-amber rear turn signals to more easily differentiate from brake lights
-rear fog lights to increase visibility in inclement weather
-maximum allowable headlight height that is lower than the US, which helps reduce glare

ECE lighting regulations allow:
-adaptive driving beam headlights to help reduce glare. These allow keeping the high beams on for maximum visibility but will dynamically block out portions of the light from glaring vehicles in front of you. This can be done with moving shutters in the headlights, or now with advanced matrix LED technology.
-dynamic/animated turn signals. Not a safety or functional benefit but they look cool.

US regulations have none of that and hence we have every car out on the roads with blinding LED headlights that are too high and/or improperly aimed. Tesla is one of the biggest culprits of headlights being aimed too high from the factory. Every time I’m blinded by headlights it’s most likely a Tesla or late model Toyota SUV.

They have been working on allowing adaptive driving beam in the US but they are still ironing out the exact details so automakers are still not allowed to use them here yet. This is technology Europe has been using for coming on 10 years now.
as you say, regulators are still ironing out details.
until then, existing headlights are plenty good. my opinion, of course.
as your diatribe also displays, your opinion.
it's entirely subjective, and really just further example of 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

No, it’s the truth. US automotive regulations are for the most part archaic. US lighting is one, including allowing the use of matrix and adaptive lighting that Europe has had for years.
archaic when they don't meet your expectations.
the cars are safe, the headlights work fine, and you're just further extrapolating to justify your envy of what someone else has.
envy is a powerful human emotion. but an emotion.

but you do speak envy, and strongly.
this is all about a minutiae headlight enhancement that someone else has, causing your butt to hurt.
My very well made point was not envious in any way. My desire for a feature is based on my wants and wishes, and what is possible. My post was an opinion, just like you like to give - often. But you are so pompous, that if someone else’s opinion does not align with yours, you feel the need to trash it. Your opinion is not worth any more than anyone else’s. You always have the option to simply disagree, but looking at your past posts, you rarely do. You just point out why that other opinion is idiotic, and why they are “wrong.” If I was going to an outdoor concert and hoped it didn’t rain, you’d probably tell me I’m envious of SoCal’s weather when that was never part of the equation or a thought in my mind. I just don’t want to get wet. and the only reason my butt may hurt is because you’re a real PITA 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
now you're just being argumentative with hypothetical nonsense.
You’re being argumentative just to be argumentative. If you don’t care about matrix headlights then why are you wasting your time responding to every single comment on this thread? People wanting matrix headlights takes nothing away from your car or your headlights. Or did you get a car with the basic reflector headlights and are trying to desperately convince yourself matrix headlights aren’t better?

Of course we all want improvement from what we currently have, especially if that technology already exists. That’s just a part of human nature and, for better or worse, capitalism to always want improvement and advancement. If everyone was always satisfied with what they have there would be no progress or innovation. What a boring world that would be.

Reactions: hmadsen and ScottNY
You’re being argumentative just to be argumentative. If you don’t care about matrix headlights then why are you wasting your time responding to every single comment on this thread? People wanting matrix headlights takes nothing away from your car or your headlights. Or did you get a car with the basic reflector headlights and are trying to desperately convince yourself matrix headlights aren’t better?

Of course we all want improvement from what we currently have, especially if that technology already exists. That’s just a part of human nature and, for better or worse, capitalism to always want improvement and advancement. If everyone was always satisfied with what they have there would be no progress or innovation. What a boring world that would be.
wishful magical thinking and whining on TMC will definitely get Elon's attention and get your needs met immediately.

archaic when they don't meet your expectations.
the cars are safe, the headlights work fine, and you're just further extrapolating to justify your envy of what someone else has.
envy is a powerful human emotion. but an emotion.
You apparently don’t understand what you’re talking about when it comes to headlights. You’re probably one of the ones who thinks it’s cool to swap out for Walmart blue lights.
2023 IIHS testing found 43% of headlights had a good rating. While 29% tested marginal or poor. That’s not good, figured I’d simplify it for you.
I have the reflector LEDs in my Model Y and am perfectly fine with them. I’m not envious of the matrix lights. But just saying the US has archaic lighting laws. Which based on IIHS testing shows headlights in the US are not good.

not.
the existing headlights, LED or whatever, are very good. I want for nothing.
my opinion, of course.....just as yours is .... an opinion.
So Hella's claim that the Matrix headlights provide up to 1.3 second more to stop in the event of something "popping up" in front of you on the road, is just not that big of a deal.

Well safety is to me, so i would prefer the headlamps to actually work as they were intended to by Hella.

Craziest thing is, most times when a car manufacturer buys something with electronics inside, the manufacturer of that part, usually has the software needed already written. So all Tesla needs to do is interface that software with their software and be done with it. All of that "Certification" stuff, well those certifications are for the headlamps and those have probably already been done by Hella when they made the headlamps or Hella knows the rules and made sure to test that they conform to the standards.

There is not a single good reason for not enabling the Matrix function in these headlamps in the countries where matrix headlamps are legal other than tesla either being lazy or incompetent.

And please dont hit me with "Maybe they dont have the ressources right now" because they clearly have, seeing as they have had time to make zombie games...

• Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude
as you say, regulators are still ironing out details.
until then, existing headlights are plenty good. my opinion, of course.
as your diatribe also displays, your opinion.
it's entirely subjective, and really just further example of 'keeping up with the Joneses'.
Regulators allowed matrix headlamps back in 2013 in Europe.

There is not reason Tesla could not enable them in Europe as every other car manufacturer of "luxyry" cars have been doing for the past many years.

Should BMW turn off the matrix function in Europe because it is not allowed in the US you think ?

If Tesla got them working and turned on in Europe, they could use that with the lawmakers. "Look, they are already enabled in Europe and the Europeans have allowed them and they work like they should".

Seems silly to have everyone miss out, just because the US is not allowing them yet.

That's silly "Lowest denominator" logic. (What everyone can not have, no one should have)

• Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude
wishful magical thinking and whining on TMC will definitely get Elon's attention and get your needs met immediately.
Offcourse it will not, there is a whole slew of fanboys ready to defend any decision made by Tesla.

Sometimes i feel like this is a lot like going to an apple forum, if someone dares question even the smallest of Tesla's decision they are there ever ready to pounce and tell you how wrong you are for even allowing yourself to question the decisions made by Tesla.

It's much the same as if you try to argue with religious people about their god.

Got a red/white LRY with matrix headlights.
Vin7SAYGDEEXPA161***

Attachments

• PXL_20230910_014635995.jpg
    PXL_20230910_014635995.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 106
  • PXL_20230910_014635995.jpg
    PXL_20230910_014635995.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 79