Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what sense are you making.
Tesla has the Matrix headlight software done, but cannot implement it in the US because of Regulatory issues.
it's that simple.
those wishing on a star to get matrix headlights in the US because they think they'll be fuily enabled on delivery.......no.
But that's the big mystery here.,

YES i understand that right now they can not enable it as it is not approved, but here in Europe almost all new cars above a certain pricetag has the matrix headlamps.

My previous car did not, because it was not specced with it, but if the previous owner had paid for that option it would have had it, and this was a 2016 vehicle, so right now it has been legal with matrix headlamps here for atleast 7 years.

Would be nice if they would enable this for people in parts of the world where it is allowed.

It's not like Tesla is not enabling features in other parts of the world, that we for some reason or the other can not have.

Latest example.....Automatic headlamps on when windscreen wipers are activated.

In my scandinavian country it is mandatory to have the headlamps and more importantly the rear lamps on, whenever the visibility is impaired, which it is per definition if it rains.

Still, the 2023.26.7 update does not include this feature in my car, even though the last 2 cars i had, had this feature. Sometimes i just dont understand what makes Tesla decide to enable or not enable features like this in certain markets, but not in others, where other car manufacturers have had these features for many years

I agree, but to be honest, Tesla does not seem to be having problems with ressources, they have had time to make a zombie game for the infotainment system, i would argue that if they have ressources for that, they should have ressources for important safety related stuff like matrix headlamps.

Making those work can actually save lives. For example if a moose or deer suddenly appear in then road, having matrix headlamps would mean the driver was able to spot it earlier and brake and steer to avoid it.

Also, how are they supposed to get an approval for the matrix headlamps if they havent made the software needed to make them function ?

I would also argue that a zombie game has an even smaller portion of costumers that will actually want it, compared to matrix headlamp functionality, but still....They opted to make the vampire game.
Every company on the planet doesn’t have enough resources to do everything they want, when they want.

Now, I never said they prioritize or choose perfectly, IE Zombie game. Do they have the resources to build out headlight features, absolutely but that’s that’s not the discussion. Even then, I can see how the game would get made:
- zombie game requires less people and less testing, this could have been built by just a handful of people and doesn’t have to be tested like a driving feature.
- These kind of features are available for basically all customers
- these kinds of features are differentiators and hit the news cycle way more than headlights, which is a big part of their marketing strategy

I personally would way rather have more features like headlight improvements and could care less about games and such but I can see why it hasn’t been built yet

Side note: I see your location is set to Denmark, I was in Copenhagen recently and really enjoyed it. Very cool to see the EV culture in Northern Europe and how much farther ahead it is in many ways.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
Every company on the planet doesn’t have enough resources to do everything they want, when they want.

Now, I never said they prioritize or choose perfectly, IE Zombie game. Do they have the resources to build out headlight features, absolutely but that’s that’s not the discussion. Even then, I can see how the game would get made:
- zombie game requires less people and less testing, this could have been built by just a handful of people and doesn’t have to be tested like a driving feature.
- These kind of features are available for basically all customers
- these kinds of features are differentiators and hit the news cycle way more than headlights, which is a big part of their marketing strategy

I personally would way rather have more features like headlight improvements and could care less about games and such but I can see why it hasn’t been built yet

Side note: I see your location is set to Denmark, I was in Copenhagen recently and really enjoyed it. Very cool to see the EV culture in Northern Europe and how much farther ahead it is in many ways.
I would argue that they already have this feature programmed, as said how will they get it approved if they can not show the function to those that need to approve it.

Yes Denmark is a great EV country, we have quite a few chargers, and a SuC network that is pretty much spotless.

Only once have i had to wait at a SuC, but this was because it was one of the first sites ever build in Denmark and it only had 16 chargers, and only version 2 SuC (150Kw, and shared between 2 so when full they only do 75Kw)

Not a big problem though, because right next to this SuC location i saw the foundation for 24 V3 superchargers being made. In a couple of months this site will "never" be full and have wait times :)

Copenhagen is riddled with bicycles though, and they have a very bad culture, expecting cars to make sure they do not get harmed, no matter how silly they drive :)

Another data point...I recently took delivery of a Model Y Long Range. It was an Austin build, manufactured in June 2023. It does NOT have matrix headlights but it does have HW4.

I also own a '21 Model 3 Performance with Matrix headlights. The headlights in both vehicles are great, and a huge leap forward over the lights in most of our previous vehicles. Without immediately driving the two cars back-to-back at night (which I haven't done), I couldn't say that one is meaningfully/noticeably better or worse than the other.

Matrix LEDs were a big deal to me when I was shopping for my Model 3 earlier this year, but now that I've lived with both, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if I didn't get them. Obviously that could change if more features and benefits are added to the matrix lights at some point in the future, but as others have noted, it's in the government's hands at this point...which is a big ship that doesn't exactly make agile turns! :p

I would argue that they already have this feature programmed, as said how will they get it approved if they can not show the function to those that need to approve it.
Definitely possible. But it seems in the US that we are waiting on general approval, that is not specific to a car company showing the functionality

Yes Denmark is a great EV country, we have quite a few chargers, and a SuC network that is pretty much spotless.

Only once have i had to wait at a SuC, but this was because it was one of the first sites ever build in Denmark and it only had 16 chargers, and only version 2 SuC (150Kw, and shared between 2 so when full they only do 75Kw)

Not a big problem though, because right next to this SuC location i saw the foundation for 24 V3 superchargers being made. In a couple of months this site will "never" be full and have wait times :)
So awesome
Copenhagen is riddled with bicycles though, and they have a very bad culture, expecting cars to make sure they do not get harmed, no matter how silly they drive :)
Haha, yes, but I would take bicycle culture over car only culture where everything is designed for cars (urban sprawl, not walkable, etc)

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
What is the best method to confirm if a VIN has matrix?
Near the end of the VIN, you should see a set of six (or seven?) numbers. Just before that, will be an F (Fremont) or A (Austin). All MYs from Fremont have Matrix. There haven't been any "confirmed" MYs from Austin with Matrix (couple of claims, but nothing more "the SA said it had it" or a few that mistaken the non-Matrix for Matrix).

At least it was a few months back... but doesn't seem like anything has changed recently anyway.

Oh, if you have any other letter (like from Shanghai, don't know the code letter for that one)... all bets are off, cause I'm not sure which they use, might be Matrix.

Reactions: jbrady3324
Another data point...I recently took delivery of a Model Y Long Range. It was an Austin build, manufactured in June 2023. It does NOT have matrix headlights but it does have HW4.

I also own a '21 Model 3 Performance with Matrix headlights. The headlights in both vehicles are great, and a huge leap forward over the lights in most of our previous vehicles. Without immediately driving the two cars back-to-back at night (which I haven't done), I couldn't say that one is meaningfully/noticeably better or worse than the other.

Matrix LEDs were a big deal to me when I was shopping for my Model 3 earlier this year, but now that I've lived with both, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if I didn't get them. Obviously that could change if more features and benefits are added to the matrix lights at some point in the future, but as others have noted, it's in the government's hands at this point...which is a big ship that doesn't exactly make agile turns! :p
Matrix vs non-Matrix will not a be a big deal until they actually enable the matrix part of the headlamps.

Right now, both non-matrix and matrix headlamps are used the same way....Low beam, high beam and that's it.

When (if) the Matrix function is enabled, you will essetially be able to always have high beam in your own lane, and it will only turn down those parts of the lamp that will blind the oncoming traffic.

I would argue if you drove a car with functioning matrix headlamps vs what you have, you would want the matrix headlamps.

Matrix vs non-Matrix will not a be a big deal until they actually enable the matrix part of the headlamps.

Right now, both non-matrix and matrix headlamps are used the same way....Low beam, high beam and that's it.

When (if) the Matrix function is enabled, you will essetially be able to always have high beam in your own lane, and it will only turn down those parts of the lamp that will blind the oncoming traffic.

I would argue if you drove a car with functioning matrix headlamps vs what you have, you would want the matrix headlamps.

I agree. I unfortunately just don't have very much confidence in our US government allowing the full function of the matrix headlights anytime soon. I'm glad you're getting to enjoy yours in Denmark though. At least somebody gets to do so! :)

I agree. I unfortunately just don't have very much confidence in our US government allowing the full function of the matrix headlights anytime soon. I'm glad you're getting to enjoy yours in Denmark though. At least somebody gets to do so! :)
Well that's the problem...

Any BMW, Mercedes and even mor regular car brands has cars that has matrix headlamps and their function is enabled.

But even though the Matrix lamps are fully legal in Denmark (Whole of the EU i presume) We still have matrix lamps on our tesla's, that do not have the matrix function enabled.

I understand that they are not enabled in the US, if they are not legal, but why they dont enable them here, where it is actually legal is beyond me.

Tesla is really odd in that way...They just released the update to make the lamps turn on automatically if the wipers turn on because of rain, but for some strange reason this function is ALSO not turned on for Denmark.

And yes, that function is also legal, here it is even mandatory for all cars made after 2015 to have the rain sensor fitted, and even the cheapest POS cars sold have this feature.

Hell, my 2016 bog standard GM Stationcar had this feature enabled from the factory, and it worked really well, but in 2023, Tesla is still not able to provide this very very basic feature to us (Basic because it is literally just software that says "If autowiper runs for more than X wiped in Y amount of time, turn on headlamps until wiper does not detect water for Z minutes") It even had a feature that if you enabled the foglamps it would also turn on the headlamps, because if there is fog, often there is no rain, but still enough ambient light outside that it would not know using the light sensor.

Soooo basic functions that even a basic, standard GM vehicle had it atleast 8 years ago (That model was released in 2015), but Tesla still wants me to remember to turn on the headlamps myself in the rain.

And offcourse remember to turn off the headlamps, which the GM car did itself if i turned the car off, because why not.

Considering how long (really only working late last year) it took Tesla to get a half decent implementation of just simple Auto highbeams (still not perfect) I can't imagine we will see a properly working matrix highbeam function for a decade or so.
They bought these headlamps from Hella i think.

They sell matrix headlamps to other car manufacturers, i would bet they would be able to also supply the software to control these headlamps if tesla would just pony up the cost of the software.

Seems strange that my previous 2016 GM car could be had with working matrix headlamps (at a terrible inflated price though) but here 7-8 years later, Tesla is still unable to make them work to do anything besides write Tesla on the wall when in party mode.

They bought these headlamps from Hella i think.

They sell matrix headlamps to other car manufacturers, i would bet they would be able to also supply the software to control these headlamps if tesla would just pony up the cost of the software.

Seems strange that my previous 2016 GM car could be had with working matrix headlamps (at a terrible inflated price though) but here 7-8 years later, Tesla is still unable to make them work to do anything besides write Tesla on the wall when in party mode.
Hella is the supplier, yes.
Define what functions are expected of 'matrix' headlamps, and you outline how it might be regulated / specified by government to meet operating standards.

Very odd to hear about the denmark functionality. Auto headlights with wipers has been a feature on US Tesla's since 2013

Automatic Headlights​

This is a feature they say they just implemented according to the link.

But as said....I do not have the feature and it was marked as "Not applicable for Denmark" on the link above.