Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wrong answer.
'bobby has them, I want them too' isn't in regulators' lexicon.
regulators need to create/adopt specifications to be tested and monitored.
Dude, i dont really care about the technical details, all i am saying is, if other manufacturers have had certified Matrix headlamps in European countries since atleast 2016, i think it is a bit poor that Tesla, a supposedly premium car brand, is unable to enable the functionality in their cars, fitted with the lamps in 2023.

If GM vehicles from 2016 had them legally in the EU, it should have been implemented and approved for Tesla's in 2023.

You are not suggesting that it would be harder for Tesla to get them approved here, that it has been for Mercedes, BMW, GM and Volkswagen ?

Dude, i dont really care about the technical details, all i am saying is, if other manufacturers have had certified Matrix headlamps in European countries since atleast 2016, i think it is a bit poor that Tesla, a supposedly premium car brand, is unable to enable the functionality in their cars, fitted with the lamps in 2023.

If GM vehicles from 2016 had them legally in the EU, it should have been implemented and approved for Tesla's in 2023.

You are not suggesting that it would be harder for Tesla to get them approved here, that it has been for Mercedes, BMW, GM and Volkswagen ?
it's all much ado about nuthin
you don't know what the specifications that the 'other mfrs' supposed matrix headlights actually have.
but you do know that you want what Bobby has.

you either value the car for what it is or you don't. and it's got headlights that work very well.

a supposedly premium car brand, is unable to enable the functionality in their cars, fitted with the lamps in 2023
Would you like us to list off all the improvements and functionality a Tesla has that a GM doesn’t? Ha.
“GM has this one feature and so tesla should too” is a poor argument. Apple is also late to release things that Android has, yet is a far dominant product.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
it's all much ado about nuthin
you don't know what the specifications that the 'other mfrs' supposed matrix headlights actually have.
but you do know that you want what Bobby has.

you either value the car for what it is or you don't. and it's got headlights that work very well.
I know they work and make a big impact on the safety when driving in the dark.

Its silly to want me to give you a complete set of specifications on what the other lamps do and do not do.

The basic part of real matrix headlamps is to make it possible for the car to keep the high beam on, and only disable it right where you might blind oncoming traffic.

The headlamps are made by Hella, they make headlamps for a lot of vehicles, and i bet they have supplied Tesla with the specs needed to make this work.

If this can be had on a simple GM stationwagon from 2016, that cost half of what a Tesla cost, i would still argue that it is a bit poor of Tesla to not get this fixed.

Would you like us to list off all the improvements and functionality a Tesla has that a GM doesn’t? Ha.
“GM has this one feature and so tesla should too” is a poor argument. Apple is also late to release things that Android has, yet is a far dominant product.
So if my Tesla had poor brakes, compared to a GM, i should just forget about it, and then be happy that it had super acceleration and a lot of other features the other car does not.

There is a big safety aspect in Matrix headlamps, so the headlamps on the Tesla is very much inferior to the lamps on that cheap GM stationwagon from 2016.

I know they work and make a big impact on the safety when driving in the dark.

Its silly to want me to give you a complete set of specifications on what the other lamps do and do not do.

The basic part of real matrix headlamps is to make it possible for the car to keep the high beam on, and only disable it right where you might blind oncoming traffic.

The headlamps are made by Hella, they make headlamps for a lot of vehicles, and i bet they have supplied Tesla with the specs needed to make this work.

If this can be had on a simple GM stationwagon from 2016, that cost half of what a Tesla cost, i would still argue that it is a bit poor of Tesla to not get this fixed.
I'm simply pointing out that you know nothing of what you're wishing for.
your desire is to keep up with the Joneses....nothing more.
headlights must meet regulatory standards set by authorities to ensure safety......be they LED, Matrix, or whatever.
Your insistence on having what Bobby has is entirely emotional.

• Disagree
Reactions: ScottNY and WyoDude
So if my Tesla had poor brakes, compared to a GM, i should just forget about it, and then be happy that it had super acceleration and a lot of other features the other car does not.

There is a big safety aspect in Matrix headlamps, so the headlamps on the Tesla is very much inferior to the lamps on that cheap GM stationwagon from 2016.
Haha, now your are just being ridiculous. The standards lights are good and rated well.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
I think name calling is inappropriate.

US lighting laws have restricted many lighting improvements. I too believe matrix lights would be a substantial benefit and also wish Tesla would work towards same.
as you say, it's not up to Tesla. And Hella, their supplier, make a very good product line
so the question needing asking is why not in the US?
There's something missing if what you claim is so beneficial isn't approved here. Which means it might not be all that.....

I suspect not all of us have spent much time reading on light patterns, euro lighting stds vs us, and etc. much less the struggles us OEM’s have with what even they believe are outdated and restrictive limitations here is the us. Struggles they’ve worked to overcome for many years. Might be a good idea to go do some reading. Might add what matrix lights put on the table to The reading list too.

as you say, it's not up to Tesla. And Hella, their supplier, make a very good product line
so the question needing asking is why not in the US?
There's something missing if what you claim is so beneficial isn't approved here. Which means it might not be all that.....
US regulations are far behind the rest of the world in many areas. Automotive lighting is one of them.

headlights must meet regulatory standards set by authorities to ensure safety......be they LED, Matrix, or whatever.
I’m sure MANY people would like Tesla to implement adaptive functionality for their matrix headlights (which are admittedly already excellent) because: A. Tesla probably can, given the headlights already have enough granular control to spell out TESLA, and B. Keeping the high beams on while dimming just a sliver for an oncoming vehicle (as well as other functions such as projecting useful info onto the road, acting as true cornering lights, etc.) are beneficial features. At least in my case, it has NOTHING to do with “wanting what Bobby has” or “keeping up with the Jones’”. When I got my previous Model Y, the steering wheel had the ABILITY to be heated, but Tesla hadn’t enabled it. That’s analogous to the matrix lights. I didn’t want the heat activated in an update because I was emotional and envied Bobby (and the many cars that had that feature for years), I wanted them activated because I knew they could be, and my hands were frickin’ freezing holding the wheel on really cold days. It’s pretty presumptuous of you to ASSUME how anybody else on this forum feels, and why they feel it, or why they wish for any new feature Tesla may release for their existing hardware.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:
I’m sure MANY people would like Tesla to implement adaptive functionality for their matrix headlights (which are admittedly already excellent) because: A. Tesla probably can, given the headlights already have enough granular control to spell out TESLA, and B. Keeping the high beams on while dimming just a sliver for an oncoming vehicle (as well as other functions such as projecting useful info onto the road, acting as true cornering lights, etc.) are beneficial features. At least in my case, it has NOTHING to do with “wanting what Bobby has” or “keeping up with the Jones’”. When I got my previous Model Y, the steering wheel had the ABILITY to be heated, but Tesla hadn’t enabled it. That’s analogous to the matrix lights. I didn’t want the heat activated in an update because I was emotional and envied Bobby (and the many cars that had that feature for years), I wanted them activated because I knew they could be, and my hands were frickin’ freezing holding the wheel on really cold days. It’s pretty presumptuous of you to ASSUME how anybody else on this forum feels, and why they feel it, or why they wish for any new feature Tesla may release for their existing hardware.
rail against the dying day.
just as useless

just an opinion.
It’s not though.

ECE lighting regulations require:
-auto leveling if brightness exceeds a certain threshold to help reduce glare (yes, even Teslas in Europe have auto leveling)
-headlight washers if brightness exceeds a certain threshold to help reduce glare. (Tesla has actually reduced brightness of headlights in the past to get around this)
-headlight aiming check required as part of their roadworthiness inspections to help reduce glare
-amber rear turn signals to more easily differentiate from brake lights
-rear fog lights to increase visibility in inclement weather
-maximum allowable headlight height that is lower than the US, which helps reduce glare

ECE lighting regulations allow:
-adaptive driving beam headlights to help reduce glare. These allow keeping the high beams on for maximum visibility but will dynamically block out portions of the light from glaring vehicles in front of you. This can be done with moving shutters in the headlights, or now with advanced matrix LED technology.
-dynamic/animated turn signals. Not a safety or functional benefit but they look cool.

US regulations have none of that and hence we have every car out on the roads with blinding LED headlights that are too high and/or improperly aimed. Tesla is one of the biggest culprits of headlights being aimed too high from the factory. Every time I’m blinded by headlights it’s most likely a Tesla or late model Toyota SUV.

They have been working on allowing adaptive driving beam in the US but they are still ironing out the exact details so automakers are still not allowed to use them here yet. This is technology Europe has been using for coming on 10 years now.

Reactions: dafish
So if the car did not have climate control, and i said "I just wished it had climate control like a lot of other cars" you would not accept that as a request because i could not give a detailed description of how a climate control system works.

Thats completely dumb to be honest.

All i want is matrix headlamps that works like matrix headlamps do on all other cars with matrix headlamps.

High beam all the time, that just dips right where oncoming traffic is, to not blind them.

That is LITERALLY how Matrix headlamps works and should work, i dont see the logic in having to explain it in greater detail.

Reactions: ScottNY
Haha, now your are just being ridiculous. The standards lights are good and rated well.
Yeah and brakes without ABS is also good and rated well, but that does not mean, that it is preposterous to want ABS brakes as well.

Can you give me one good reason for Tesla to fit matrix headlamps in their cars, but not actually enable the matrix functionality.

For obvious reasons matrix headlamps are more expensive than regular headlamps, so why fit them if they dont intend to enable the functionality, i dont think Tesla i known for fitting more than they feel is needed.