Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and, strangely, auto-wipers were awful in some rainstorms today. Clearly worse than 11.4.4. In moderate to heavy rain they barely wiped and I could could not see well. Obviously, I couldn't safely test this too much without hitting the single wipe button for visibility (or manually setting the speed).

Previously I found auto-wipers were OK. In actual rainy conditions they did a decent job of wiping sufficiently (I think a lot of the complaints people are from excessive wiping when not needed). It was obviously different today. I think at one point I saw a warning on screen that the forward camera was occluded which gives you an indication of how much water was building up.

Odd regression. I wonder if they meant to change something in this release or this is a completely unintended bug?

Got v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and, strangely, auto-wipers were awful in some rainstorms today. Clearly worse than 11.4.4. In moderate to heavy rain they barely wiped and I could could not see well. Obviously, I couldn't safely test this too much without hitting the single wipe button for visibility (or manually setting the speed).
What speed were you going when it was under wiping?

From some time back (it does not rain all that often here in New Mexico) I noticed that wipers were reluctant to start up at slow travel speeds (say 20 mph in my neighborhood) at a rate of rain which would easily trigger them at 50 mph.

HW3 (FSD Beta isn't available on HW4 cars yet so none of them have gotten this release).

It happened both at highway speeds (55+) and very slow (residential street speeds w/stops).
I have a HW4 car, there are a few of us on here that have had FSDb for a while now. I’m on 11.4.6 currently and the wipers have been solid, just wondered when 11.4.7 installs if that would change, something to look out for I suppose.

Previously I found auto-wipers were OK. In actual rainy conditions they did a decent job of wiping sufficiently (I think a lot of the complaints people are from excessive wiping when not needed). It was obviously different today. I think at one point I saw a warning on screen that the forward camera was occluded which gives you an indication of how much water was building up.

Odd regression. I wonder if they meant to change something in this release or this is a completely unintended bug?
Same problem here. Just upgraded from 11.4.4 to 11.4.7 (2023.7.30) and auto wipers don't work at all. Worked fine in previous releases. Wipers work normally in all other modes. 2022 Model S with HW3. Definitely a new problem just introduced.

I was wondering if Tesla might hold off on a wider push of this release, but it seems not. Teslafi shows another moderately larger push today.

We didn't have any rain today, but I did notice that in completely dry conditions the car would make a few intermittent, seemly random wipes while in park (I was sitting in the driver seat). Lol.

I was wondering if Tesla might hold off on a wider push of this release, but it seems not. Teslafi shows another moderately larger push today.

We didn't have any rain today, but I did notice that in completely dry conditions the car would make a few intermittent, seemly random wipes while in park (I was sitting in the driver seat). Lol.
Then the fix is easy. Just add this to the current code xD
=not(autowipers)

I just updated to this last night and on my way into work this morning the wipers kept randomly activating for no reason. I had to turn them to off. Now Idalia has moved into the state and it's pouring rain. I'll get to test it out on the way home and see how it does in actual rain. Previously I haven't had much trouble out of the auto wipers.

11.4.4 => 11.4.7 last night, and today when parked under a large cedar tree, the autowipers started running without any rain. JFC Elon, can't your people do any regression testing on software releases???

This pattern of fixing autowipers, screwing up autowipers, fixing it, then screwing them up again on subsequent software release is old news. Maybe Tesla has purged all the experienced programmers and now has high-school kids running the show?

Reactions: jgleigh and Mensra
I feel kind of left out being on FSD beta in the 11.4.x fork. Our other car without FSD has Vampire Survivors, steering wheel customization (including manual wipers), night mode, new Spotify, navigation improvements, multi cameras in mobile app. auto headlights in rain, bluetooth controllers, charge on solar, working auto wipers. The feature gap between the two cars keeps increasing as 2023 goes on. Also Tesla's matrix of vehicle configurations just keeps growing and I wonder how much % of the team is focused on bringing up the software on Cybertruck or Semi or HW4?

Last edited: