Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... Just got FSD 11.4.8.1, Software 2023.27.12. I took two drives today... For the FIRST time in ages: NO DRY WIPES! Lucky, or the shape of things to come? Time will tell I guess. It didn't rain, so I don't know how well auto wipers will work when it rains, but I am cautiously optimistic. (BTW, auto wipers used to work just fine for me...)

I'm not sure what is officially the holiday update but 2023.44.30.1 (FSD 11.4.9) does not. First time getting in my car after the update gave me a dry wipe immediately while in the garage. 🤔 Sounds about par for the course.
That's the holiday update. But there is a version 2023.44.30.1, .2, .3 and .4. I'm sure one of those subsequent revisions fixes it. No question.

FSD 11.4.8.1, Software 2023.27.12. One more day of driving on this update, that's two days now. No dry wipes at all. Prior software I was getting a dry wipe once or twice every 10 minutes. Still no rain, so I can't speak to whether or not the wipers actually work yet, but no dry wipes at least is encouraging.

FSD 11.4.8.1, Software 2023.27.12. One more day of driving on this update, that's two days now. No dry wipes at all. Prior software I was getting a dry wipe once or twice every 10 minutes. Still no rain, so I can't speak to whether or not the wipers actually work yet, but no dry wipes at least is encouraging.
I took a drive in the rain this morning. The rain varied throughout the drive from very light sprinkles to steady moderate rain. The auto wipers worked pretty darned good, verging on excellent. As soon as I backed out of the garage--into very light sprinkles--the wipers came on with no encouragement needed--a very slow intermittent wipe, exactly what the conditions called for. Back before the current issues when my wipers worked well, I usually had to "jump start" the wipers with a tap of the left stalk button in these conditions. Not today, but that's just one instance--encouraging nevertheless. As the rain varied in intensity back and forth, the auto wipers kept up with appropriate adjustments for the most part. The only issue I had was that the wipers were a tad slow to go from "fast intermittent" to "steady on". It wasn't slow enough that I ever felt the need to intervene, but it was slow enough that I noticed the delay--and probably would have intervened had I been able to do so with a quick flick of a finger. As it was, it took the auto wipers about as long as I would have been using a voice command. So, not a huge deal, but enough for me to not call it "excellent." Other than that, the wipers sped up and slowed down as necessary. When I pulled into the garage, the wipers stopped immediately as the rain hitting the windshield stopped. Nice.

Bear in mind, this software has two days of dry driving and one drive in the rain. It's very encouraging to me though. @LincolnsDoctor reported above issues driving in the rain with the same software, so work still needs to be done. But if all of my drives were like the last three days, I'd be a happy camper.

• Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1
I haven't tested yet but apparently we did score a minor win with FSD 11.4.9 and now you can fully disable wipers while FSD is enabled!
You can, but you really don't need to anymore. Three hours driving today in all sorts of conditions--including straight into the setting sun--not one dry wipe. Holiday .2 update with FSD 11.4.9. From August until two updates ago I was getting dry wipes all the time.

Reactions: JB47394 and MP3Mike
For as long as I can remember Tesla wipers set to auto in either of our cars (2022 model Y, 2023 model 3) have been reluctant to wipe at all when driving slowly. So I'm pretty sure something changed within the last couple of releases, as today I got wipes within seconds of starting off in a very light rain, and new swipes continued often enough, probably slightly more often than optimum. I was running on a freshly installed copy of 2023.44.30.5.1/FSDb11.4.9 with FSDb engaged.

Reactions: gsmith123
Holiday update is greatly improved performance for me at least. Only complaint that I can completely ignore is that when water is being misted up via other car tires, the wipers were going full speed for some reason. But since there is actually water coming onto the windshield I can deal with that.

No dry wipes so far and they seem to wipe earlier when it starts to rain than previous versions

Reactions: DrChaos and Dewg