Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no way to 'fix the wipers' in software significantly better than now because the hardware they are trying to reuse is wrong for this task.
I may be forgetting something but 11.3 (and maybe early 11.4?) had reasonable auto wipers for many, including me. There were some complaints but nothing like what we have today - mostly "too fast" or "not starting soon enough". Might be preferences too. Some dry wipes but very few compared to today.

Do you recall differently? Certainly this could be significantly improved with software.

The only person that can fix the wipers is Elon Musk, when he tells his engineers to put the rain sensor back in but that would mean he was wrong and so he will never do that. He took out a $10 part because he thinks shallowly.

There is no way to 'fix the wipers' in software significantly better than now because the hardware they are trying to reuse is wrong for this task.

They did fix auto-brights (which were once a problem) in software, because the hardware was designed to image at distance which is what is needed to fix auto-brights.
But...didn't they work better in the past? I never used auto-wipers before they were required. So my frame of reference is limited. But, with the title of this thread being what it is, can't we at least go back to one of two possible solutions:

1) The way the auto-wipers were in the past when they worked better.
2) Not require their use so it doesn't matter if they're terrible.

But...didn't they work better in the past? I never used auto-wipers before they were required. So my frame of reference is limited. But, with the title of this thread being what it is, can't we at least go back to one of two possible solutions:

Possibly they work better now for some and worse for others---they've found the tradeoff curve inherent in this sort of ML solution. One other thing to try---clean your wiper blade with windex and paper. The biggest failure mode is smudged films which cause image degradation very similar to water drops to the cameras on the glass, even though we can see they are entirely different from our viewpoint. The system thinks it's raining hard though it isn't and that causes rapid wiping which makes everything worse. Maybe just time and dirt makes people think the wipers work worse even if the algorithm is the same.

It's not using cameras that's the key problem it's cameras on the glass with a focus at +infinity that makes it a problem.

Their use isn't required but you have to turn off AP and drive manually, or manually set your wiper to a nonzero speed. That's what I do---you can run FSD and manually change to '1' when the autowiper feels like activating. Press the left stalk button partway and the wiper card comes up.

That's not true. The auto wipers used to be significantly better. If they just restored the old software it would be significantly better.

I'd just like to know why this "dry wiping" problem has persisted for so long without being addressed. It used to be a very rare occurrence.

That's not true. The auto wipers used to be significantly better. If they just restored the old software it would be significantly better.

I'd just like to know why this "dry wiping" problem has persisted for so long without being addressed. It used to be a very rare occurrence.
Yes, I do remember it not setting the right speed when raining, but I don’t remember the ridiculous, dry wipes, which honestly have caused two streaks on my windshield that I haven’t been able to get off. I think the only way to remove them will be to take use a drill attachment similar to what I clean my electric stove top with. I park my car outside, and there’s always stuff on my windshield. The dry wipes smear it around. It shortens the life of the wipers too. It’s just ridiculous.

I'm concerned it's just a fluctuation in the neural network training: some people get better, some get worse. It's somewhat better (fewer dry wipes) for me than earlier, though I'm on 2023.27.7. When did the problem start?

I wonder if it got worse if extended to multiple geographies (FSDb is supposedly coming to China soon) and retrained with more heterogeneous data?

When did the problem start?

I have read that Tesla used to have a dedicated sensor for the wipers, and then they removed it in favor of the 'Tesla Vision' approach (does this sound familiar - same with the RADAR and USS sensors that are now gone too)?.

Can anyone clarify if / when the dedicated sensor was removed? Could it be that all these wiper problems are attributable to that hardware change?

I don't want to second guess Tesla's 'Dear Leader' (he is definitely smarter than I am), but I could see how there could be a fundamental (unsolvable) problem with the rain detection. It has been discussed elsewhere that it just is not possible for the camera to 'see' the windshield because it is focused at infinity. I don't care how many neural nets you may have... If the camera is focused in a way that it just cannot see drops of rain on the windshield, then no algorithm in the world can solve this problem.

All the neural nets can do is to try and infer from what it can see, whether the windshield needs wiping. Maybe looking for cloud cover, subtle signs that the road may be wet, maybe weather data from the internet, 'distortions' of the far-field image?... But all this seems horribly unreliable when it comes to knowing whether the windshield actually needs to be wiped. The formerly dedicated sensor that most (all?) others use is much better, but if you insist on doing it with 'vision' then maybe you need a camera that is capable of focusing on the windshield.

Interestingly, prior to HW4 there were 2 forward facing cameras. With HW4 there is now only 1 (there is an opaque black dome where the 2nd camera was). Maybe they should have kept that 2nd camera and changed the lens so it cold actually look at the windshield (rather than looking through it). Of course the $5 dedicated sensor is probably much lower cost than another camera would be.

Last edited:
I have read that Tesla used to have a dedicated sensor for the wipers, and then they removed it in favor of the 'Tesla Vision' approach (does this sound familiar - same with the RADAR and USS sensors that are now gone too)?.
That was a long time ago, and with Model S. I don't know if Model 3/Y ever had rain sensors.

All the neural nets can do is to try and infer from what it can see, whether the windshield needs wiping. Maybe looking for cloud cover, subtle signs that the road may be wet, maybe weather data from the internet, 'distortions' of the far-field image?... But all this seems horribly unreliable when it comes to knowing whether the windshield actually needs to be wiped. The formerly dedicated sensor that most (all?) others use is much better, but if you insist on doing it with 'vision' then maybe you need a camera that is capable of focusing on the windshield.

That's exactly the problem.
Interestingly, prior to HW4 there were 2 forward facing cameras. With HW4 there is now only 1 (there is an opaque black dome where the 2nd camera was). Maybe they should have kept that 2nd camera and changed the lens so it cold actually look at the windshield (rather than looking through it). Of course the $5 dedicated sensor is probably much lower cost than another camera would be.
The rain sensors are actively illuminated in infrared (so they work in dark night), and directly detect change of index of refraction from water drops---and water specifically and not grime---on the windshield. High quality standard technology.

Yes, the auto wipers on my 3 and then S worked fine for at least 2 years, and now they never turn on when it is raining. I assumed this would be fixed quickly, but several updates later they still don't work

Reactions: fseir
That was a long time ago, and with Model S. I don't know if Model 3/Y ever had rain sensors.

3/Y have never had rain sensors.

There hasn't really been that much change in terms of sensor suite on 3/Y. Early 3s had the so-called HW2.5, so they had the HW2 computer and the same cameras as HW3. Since then they've dropped ultrasonics and radar and with the Highland update on the 3 added HW4.

So all the delivered 3/Ys in north america are identical in terms of of sensors available for wipers.

Yes, the auto wipers on my 3 and then S worked fine for at least 2 years, and now they never turn on when it is raining. I assumed this would be fixed quickly, but several updates later they still don't work
Many other people reported they used to be going off too often, so they likely changed a threshold parameter in the model and you get what you see. Always the problem with a fuzzy ML model vs 99.9% accurate rain sensor which works on physics.

Reactions: MrFixit1094
I’ve also been on 11.4.7.3 for what seems like an eternity. The strange thing is that early on with this version, I’d get the dry wipes all the time, but they’d still turn on when it was raining. Now, the auto wipers don’t seem to ever turn on, even in a downpour.

I also got a strange autopilot failure a week ago, where it just suddenly freaked out and told me to take over because of a system error. The 3D display no longer showed any features on the road (other cars, lane markings, etc), and this persisted even when I put the car in park at a stoplight, and then back into drive. Rebooting also didn’t restore it. I basically had no autopilot or FSD until the next day, when it just came back as if nothing had happened.

Hoping the next firmware fixes all of these bizarre issues, and it’s not a larger problem.