Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can, but you really don't need to anymore. Three hours driving today in all sorts of conditions--including straight into the setting sun--not one dry wipe. Holiday .2 update with FSD 11.4.9. From August until two updates ago I was getting dry wipes all the time.
So far I haven't noticed any improvement with the holiday update, it was randomly dry wiping on and off for 30 miles of night time highway driving. But I haven't been able to test it in actual rain yet or other times of day.

Yeah just got to testing in actual rain on 2023.44.30.5.1 and I can't tell any difference from the previous 4 or 5 updates, it still dry wipes frequently and under-wipes in steady rain or doesn't respond at all. Maybe our cars get different feature flags or config is different but this is FSD Beta + 2022 Model Y with Ryzen+USS. I disengage FSD just to complain about the auto wipers.

Yeah just got to testing in actual rain on 2023.44.30.5.1 and I can't tell any difference from the previous 4 or 5 updates, it still dry wipes frequently and under-wipes in steady rain or doesn't respond at all. Maybe our cars get different feature flags or config is different but this is FSD Beta + 2022 Model Y with Ryzen+USS. I disengage FSD just to complain about the auto wipers.
Interesting, my car is the same configuration as yours and I think the wipers are working almost perfectly in 2023.44.30.5.1. (No dry wipes, and appropriate wiping in mist/rain.)

Reactions: gsmith123
It’s been pretty rainy in NY these last couple of days. The holiday update has made wipers much, much better IMO. It still suffers from not wiping enough at the low-drizzle area but its overall working much better than the 11.4.7 crapshoot.

Reactions: DrChaos
It’s been pretty rainy in NY these last couple of days. The holiday update has made wipers much, much better IMO. It still suffers from not wiping enough at the low-drizzle area but its overall working much better than the 11.4.7 crapshoot.
I also found wipers to work significantly better in daytime with most recent update (11.4.9), as well as general FSDbeta behavior. Agree with low drizzle needing more wiping, but that's for human use---perhaps it's OK for FSD use which is probably what the rain detector optimizes for. Low drizzle can be ameliorated by humans pressing the button at the end of the left stalk (which should never be removed).

I suspect night performance will be worse.