Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 After market suspension upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned often before, in terms of suspension it depends what you are looking for. I have the GT Redwood Ohlins installed and it feels very soft to me. If I would have to do it again and compare money/value with what I know now, I would probably go with something more sporty like MPP.

As mentioned often before, in terms of suspension it depends what you are looking for. I have the GT Redwood Ohlins installed and it feels very soft to me. If I would have to do it again and compare money/value with what I know now, I would probably go with something more sporty like MPP.
Have you actually driven a car with MPP coilovers? Why do you think the GT Redwood Ohlins would be softer by comparison?

Have you driven an off the shelf Ohlins kit? They're more track oriented.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Have you actually driven a car with MPP coilovers? Why do you think the GT Redwood Ohlins would be softer by comparison?

I haven't tried the MPP coilovers myself yet. This was only based on my experience with the Ohlins and what I read about the MPPs. That said I don't if one or the other are softer but given the price difference between the 2 and the experience I had with the Ohlins, I don't think that they are worth the money. If you can get them 2nd hand it may be a different story.

I haven't. I read that they are on the rough side which would be too much for me. I think ideally I am looking for something between very soft and track.

I haven't. I read that they are on the rough side which would be too much for me. I think ideally I am looking for something between very soft and track.

What did you think of the Ohlins when you increased the dampening? You could also swap a stiffer spring to achieve the ride you're looking for. There is some range that the Ohilns can work within. I'm not a suspension expert, so you'd want to talk to Redwood.

Hijacking this thread since no replies in mine. …
MPP spring compresses when lowering.
Tein comes with top hat, which means you never mess with spring compressor but low end.
After hours of reading and videos, I’m leaning towards Redwood over UP.

Yeah but MPP has way more droop than something like Tein so unless you go super max low with MPP it feels the same throughout the various height settings.

+1 for MPP...love mine.

Far superior to OEM and Flex Z which I ran for awhile. Ohlins may be the absolute best but all things considered MPP is King...imo. :)

Gratuitous pic:
20231223_160313.jpg

Reactions: Pacernow
I have a MYP 2022 Made in Berlin with the "comfort" suspension. I had the Koni Special Active dampers installed in October 2023, with the original springs. Great improvement over the stock ones. Most, if not all the complains I had before, are gone. The car feels "refined" now, almost like one of the 3 German brands (I used to drive BMW's for the last 20+ years). The car feels a lot less unsettled, "nervous" even, especially at high speeds on the Autobahn (>110 Mph), easier to control. Low speed bouncing and associated noises through the cabin is also dramatically improved. Koni is mentioning Frequency Selective Damping technology, which is exactly what Tesla is advertising with their new M3 Highland. In my opinion, they decided to purchase those internal damper valve blocks from Koni, as other well known brands have been doing for years. Anyway, I have ~7000 miles with these dampers and I wish they were available when I got the car. Upgrading only the dampers is probably the cheapest solution (~$1200), I don't think that a coil over kit is needed for most Tesla users that don't go on the race track in the w/e. Going for a non-adjustable damper kit, like the Koni Special Active, might also be the best choice for someone that has no idea how to properly adjust the outbound / rebound on their car. Keeping the original springs might avoid some warranty discussions too ...

Difference between Koni Yellow Dampers and Red Dampers, is that the yellow are manually adjustable, the red are "active" (no manually control). As someone who comes from a long history of modifying their cars and SCCA, I didn't feel like manually tuning my dampers on my daily, so I went with the active (red) to try them out. I really don't want that much of a drop on the car, so I'm going to pick up some eibach springs, which seem to have the lowest drop (unless I find some different ones in the next few days). I should have everything installed this this weekend or next, weather permitting. Will give a review ;) after all is said and done.

this was within my plan too. I don’t have a problem with the stock MYP springs on my 2023 revised suspension. I also use my car as utility so I don’t want to sacrifice any ride height. Was thinking about doing Koni Yellows with the stock p springs when it came to needing replacements… seems as if the dampers themselves are a lot of the problem with the unsettled character of the suspension from time to time- based off some other reading. For me it seems to be at speeds above 75mph. Following

100%. I have this setup with swift springs. Works great for my much more aggressive driving style, tuned for track, AX, and spirited canyon runs. Definitely not the typical comfort MY setup. I'll say my wife and kids have no complaints, at least they're used to the setup on my cars. They definitely agree it's an improvement from the stock setup. YMMV haha.

100%. I have this setup with swift springs. Works great for my much more aggressive driving style, tuned for track, AX, and spirited canyon runs. Definitely not the typical comfort MY setup. I'll say my wife and kids have no complaints, at least they're used to the setup on my cars. They definitely agree it's an improvement from the stock setup. YMMV haha.

Suspension is def a YMMV. I have the Ohlins GT kit and it's a far superior suspension BUT it's not a magic bullet. If anybody is expecting a Lexus ride that's not going to happen. My statement doesn't take away from the kit at all, I do love my setup, but I also have cars with performance suspension. My partner drives the Y and she still complains about it over certain road conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and hyp36rmax
Well, I decided on doing UPP sprints, which got here yesterday, I doubt I'll do the install this weekend due to weather, but we'll see.

So, Koni Red (active) Shocks/Dampers w/UPP Springs. I was originally going to do stock springs, but I figured since I was taking the springs off, might as well, plus the car does sit 7.25" high, so lowering it a tiny bit isn't bad...

In the future I do plan to get off the 21" Uberturbines and move to 19"x10"s all around, so the lowering will help fill that in some as well when that happens.

Last edited:
I love my new 2023 MYP, and it seems to ride a bit better than my 2020 MYP. I also just switched to 19" tires and that made a slight improvement.

Overall, i'd love to get a bit smoother suspension but I dont care about changing ride height. What is the conclusion as far as the best suspension goes? I do not need to adjust them, can I just get different shocks and use the same springs, or do the springs matter as well?

I love my new 2023 MYP, and it seems to ride a bit better than my 2020 MYP. I also just switched to 19" tires and that made a slight improvement.

Overall, i'd love to get a bit smoother suspension but I dont care about changing ride height. What is the conclusion as far as the best suspension goes? I do not need to adjust them, can I just get different shocks and use the same springs, or do the springs matter as well?
With your 2023 MYP I would change only the shock dampers, keep the stock springs.

Koni Special Active (red) seem to be best ‘drop in’ non adjustable replacement shock for improving the ride at the moment.