Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 insurance hike - is Black Box an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checking out renewal of 2022 M3LR after a small dent was repaired on the door sill in the summer. Direct Line have kept my NCD but looks like it will be a 80% price hike.

I can get Admiral at a lot less but they insist on Black Box. Will this work in a M3 Tesla ? I gather the battery is now 16v and there is no easy ODB port fix.

anyone else looking into this?

Just checking out renewal of 2022 M3LR after a small dent was repaired on the door sill in the summer. Direct Line have kept my NCD but looks like it will be a 80% price hike.

I can get Admiral at a lot less but they insist on Black Box. Will this work in a M3 Tesla ? I gather the battery is now 16v and there is no easy ODB port fix.
Not sure its a good idea anyway. Read the terms carefully. Not sure it possible to accelerate gently enough in an M3 to avoid triggering some sort of alert on a black box.
How much of a saving are we talking?

If you haven't already, give your insurer a call. The renewal price they send you is always inflated and they can come down - especially if you have comparative quotes from elsewhere.

Slightly off topic but would like to see Tesla Insurance be launched over here...

I was listening to Martin Lewis the other day who said the insurers are working around the new "don't screw over your existing customer" rules by changing the product slightly each year so that when you renew the "product" they are renewing you on is not the exact same "product" that is now being offered to new customers hence comparison rules don't apply. If true does not surprise me. No idea how they differentiate the "products" include some extra feature like key cover probably. Net effect is less people are shopping around since they think the new rules are protecting them so more people are being done over at renewal than ever before.

anyone else looking into this?
Maybe as a comparatively young driver you’re forced or heavily incentivised into it - but personally otherwise I wouldn’t touch it with the proverbial barge pole.

There’s always better deals to be had.

Man, I just got chills down my spine. A box monitoring me? Nope, no, and help no. It gets easier to be insured when you've a lot to insure. At some point your agent will not want to even consider losing you, and then they fight for you. And will be much more successful than you will be.

A box monitoring me? Nope, no, and help no.

I should imagine from the context you're mostly concerned with insurers monitoring you, but... I've taken it as a given that Tesla can see (literally) everywhere you drive - telemetrics and autopilot camera feeds get sent up to headquarters. If you have a smart phone of any sort (and you don't say that you do) then an insurer's black box will pale into comparison to what data the phone and its software exfiltrate.

Reactions: ringi
I had a black box with Admiral.. I was so boring a driver they took it back after 3 months.

It just plugs into the lighter socket.. since EVs tend to be a lot smoother due to having no gears etc. they really struggled to find anything wrong - 'don't drive as often' was about the worst advice the bot generated emails came up with..

For a clear £100 cheaper than the cheapest quote without black box it was worth it.

• Funny
Reactions: ringi and DeejUK
I should imagine from the context you're mostly concerned with insurers monitoring you, but... I've taken it as a given that Tesla can see (literally) everywhere you drive - telemetrics and autopilot camera feeds get sent up to headquarters. If you have a smart phone of any sort (and you don't say that you do) then an insurer's black box will pale into comparison to what data the phone and its software exfiltrate.

All fair points, but not germane to my point. To be fair I wasn't deeply explicit so let me clarify. All those sources could/might be used against me if I'm accountable for an accident, or for many other purposes. However, an insurance black box might lead an underwriter to conclude things my driving history shows aren't of concern. I much prefer such data not become a point of contention with my insurer.

Reactions: Sean. and DeejUK
All fair points, but not germane to my point. To be fair I wasn't deeply explicit so let me clarify. All those sources could/might be used against me if I'm accountable for an accident, or for many other purposes. However, an insurance black box might lead an underwriter to conclude things my driving history shows aren't of concern. I much prefer such data not become a point of contention with my insurer.
100% why hand them the gun to shoot you with. There’s enough monitoring going on, with all the devices etc we carry. The last thing I’d want is the insurer micro monitoring my driving. Stuff that.

The only time I considered it was when I was going to be doing low mileage. There was a paybymile insurance that just links up to the Tesla API and ONLY tracks your mileage, nothing else. No penaltys for anything.
Was a considerable saving, by about £500. But then I changed jobs and my commute suddenly became 10x further so I never bothered with it.