Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Investor Day Sunroof Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
(Splitting off replies from Investor Thread)

Sunroof discussion which is totally outside investor thread but the Mods are tolerating it sooo..
Don't ya think that the all glass roof advantage(s) were the real reason they stopped making a sunroof? (rhetorical question)

My Panoramic Sunroof appears to have about the same area as the all glass roofs. Is there some other distinction?

My pano roof on my 2013 S had endless problems of leakage into my cabin. Countless visits to the SC yielded no results. Thank goodness i live in an area with minimal rain, although washing the car had to take extra caution 🥴

My 2013 has been flawless, despite a lot of use. (I should probably apply some conditioner to the seals... any recommendations?)

Follow up to this... back in the day a decade ago I successfully lobbied Elon to restore deleted fog-lights to the cars, and he actually emailed me directly about it. Ultimatelly he agreed and did, after a redesign.

So... given that the decision this time to eliminate the pano roof is based on usage data, I wonder if a poll regarding those for whom the feature may not get usage often, but for which the importance is high, might be useful?

(Splitting off replies from Investor Thread)

My Panoramic Sunroof appears to have about the same area as the all glass roofs. Is there some other distinction?

My 2013 has been flawless, despite a lot of use. (I should probably apply some conditioner to the seals... any recommendations?)
You're lucky man. I had tesla replace the mechanism, update the rails and seals and it still leaked so you probably do not want any advice from me :)

Follow up to this... back in the day a decade ago I successfully lobbied Elon to restore deleted fog-lights to the cars, and he actually emailed me directly about it. Ultimatelly he agreed and did, after a redesign.

So... given that the decision this time to eliminate the pano roof is based on usage data, I wonder if a poll regarding those for whom the feature may not get usage often, but for which the importance is high, might be useful?
I loved my sunroof on my 2013 S
Had only one small issue that was resolved quickly
I used it at least half the winter (here in Chicago) and almost every other day it wasn't raining
The only regret I have in getting the S upgrade in 2021 is that I lost my sunroof :-(

Reactions: scaesare
I love my sun roof and use it frequently. They 100% removed it since "the best part if no part" and not because people didn't use it. My 4 year Used Car Warranty is up in a few months and I plan to take mine in again to have the sunroof repaired again due to stuttering and rattling. Hopefully the repaired sunroof with last another 7 years :)

Cruising on the mountain parkway with the windows down and the sunroof open is bliss. I made a post about it with pics of the sunroof open here: Model S: Best Car ever for the Mountains!