Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3P degraded performance after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove the Tessy ( wife's daily) for a while yesterday, and couldn't help but notice what appears to be a degradation of "take off" performance from stand still ( or 0-60 )
It feels like the rolling starts / quick lane change acceleration are actually better - but 0-60 feels not as violent as i remember it.

Did anyone else notice ?
Have they changed power / torque balance with recent software update ?

Battery level for 0-60 is minimal in my handful of tests. I'd imagine the 1/4 mile and trap speeds would be more impacted.

100% SOC - 3.37
37% SOC - 3.51

Sure, but the op also said:

weather was in low 70's so don't think the battery was cold.

but just because it was 70s outside it doesnt mean the battery wasnt too cold to deliver whatever peak power it could deliver at that time.

I can definitely feel a lot less power when I get to 30% and lower SOC driving on the highway. Please see this: Tesla Performance Model 3 Dyno Testing At Various SOC

Oh wow -
That makes total sense - i just never thought about it.

One would think that EV engineers would implement a power management to balance out inefficiencies at lower SOC, meaning really trimming power at high SOC.

As your state of charge gets lower, the voltage of the pack is lower. To push the same power you'd need to push more Amps. There's a limit to how many amps can be pushed, either at the motor or the cable size etc. You could put a bigger battery but that brings other problems like weight, size etc... It's just a different animal than an ICE car... you just need to understand how it works.
EDIT: OR, you make a car with a max power that's much lower than the capacity of the system so you can sustain it for longer... We don't want that.

Reactions: Clover and DrChaos
EDIT: OR, you make a car with a max power that's much lower than the capacity of the system so you can sustain it for longer... We don't want that.
I certainly dont, lol. I have always thought that this is what many other EV manufacturers are doing though, along with having a BMS that is not as advanced as Teslas (why something like a Kona EV has fairly anemic acceleration, although its a very serviceable EV in a lot of ways).

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart
Screenshot_2023-05-19-09-34-08-99_dff95c6d4a5d8afc55c951a07137aa3b.jpg

Latest 23 M3P doing just fine for me @90%. Uphill at that....hoping for 2.9 with a slight decline.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Drove the Tessy ( wife's daily) for a while yesterday, and couldn't help but notice what appears to be a degradation of "take off" performance from stand still ( or 0-60 )
It feels like the rolling starts / quick lane change acceleration are actually better - but 0-60 feels not as violent as i remember it.

Did anyone else notice ?
Have they changed power / torque balance with recent software update ?
Besides the state of charge, it's also conceivably possible that the off-the-line accel and torque might be limited by a software update.

This happened with my previous EV, BMW i3. An update nerfed the immediate accleration from zero a bit because there were a number of motor mount failures which were very expensive to BMW warranty claims. Now the 3 has much more power than that.

It might be not quite as fun, but your suspension will last longer this way.